Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Loud turbo "scream" when spooling over normal turbo whistle (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1010879-loud-turbo-scream-when-spooling-over-normal-turbo-whistle.html)

Mitch1407 11-16-2010 08:45 AM

Loud turbo "scream" when spooling over normal turbo whistle

Hello,
This is my first post on this website. I have been a fan of this website since I had my blood swapped out with diesel fuel when I got my F350. This past weekend I decided to fix a "Skip" that was bugging me that developed a few weeks back. Took it to the dealer and they said new injector o-rings. I changed them, along with the turbo pedestal seals that they also recommended replacing due to an oil leak. Everything is working really well as far as the skip being gone.

However, when I spool the turbo it has a loud scream to it, it seems like if I keep spooling it it will blow off a tube or explode itself. Currently I am at college and plan to tackle this problem in a week during Thanksgiving break.

I have heard of overtightened intake hose clamps causing this "squeal" or "scream" sound.

Seems like me fixing one problem has cause another.
Thanks for any input you all have for my truck, currently driving my dads old 1990 F150 gasser and having diesel withdraws! :-X20:'(

Wayne64SS 11-16-2010 08:59 AM

sounds like a boost leak to me man. you're on the money with your train of thought. just pull the spider & all boots back off, clean everything, and put together again.

Mitch1407 11-16-2010 09:04 AM

Thanks for replying so fast!

stangclassic66 11-16-2010 09:20 AM

Does it kind of sound metal to metal?

BillyBob69 11-16-2010 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by stangclassic66 (Post 9565262)
Does it kind of sound metal to metal?

We might be on the same line of thought here.....

Take off your intake to the turbo and you van check to see if the bearings are still good and the condition of your turbo. You may get a tiny bit of play but the main thing is that it isn't touching the housing at all. Only takes a few minutes to get in there to check it. As for the boots, I don't know what the torque specs are for them but check the boots themselves. Look for cuts and tears where the clamps are and in the middle. Take them off, clean them and look closely. A small hole can make some noise and get bigger as pressure runs through it.

Wayne64SS 11-16-2010 12:14 PM

being as he was just in there im gonna stay with boost leak.

SkySkiJason 11-16-2010 12:21 PM

Boost leak would be my first suspect. The X recently had a leak at plenum to head - it sounded like a cat in a blender! Troubling part was it didn't do it all the time, sometimes still making 25psi... :-banghead After it leaked for awhile, I finally saw the stains at the boot where leak was. Tightened clamp and problem solved - I was sure the 240k turbo was about to check out though... :-roll

stangclassic66 11-16-2010 01:50 PM

Yes, mine sounds like a cat screaming for dear life as he's sucked into the turbo... kind of like a sssss-sssss-sssss-ssssssssssssssssssssssssss really fast.

Mitch1407 11-16-2010 06:33 PM

Yeah, I definitely think its a boost leak because it sounds more like a loud air horn than metal to metal and when i was in the turbo last weekend I spun the wheel just to feel how the bearing was, it felt fine.

Another thing is that the little rod that is connected to the EBPV butterfly was a little bent. If the butterfly is not completely straight, could it make this weird sound?

Mitch1407 11-25-2010 07:56 PM

It was a boost leak! The passenger side boot going from the spider to the engine was loose.
Thanks for the input!

SkySkiJason 11-26-2010 06:35 AM

Awesome!! Glad ya got it figured out! :-X22

Skip1970 11-26-2010 06:42 AM

anyone got a video of this sound? mine wistles, but makes like a weird growl at high b0ost. it hisses at me when i let off the gas too.

nookiemonster55 11-26-2010 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by stangclassic66 (Post 9566198)
Yes, mine sounds like a cat screaming for dear life as he's sucked into the turbo... kind of like a sssss-sssss-sssss-ssssssssssssssssssssssssss really fast.

HUMMM NEVER SUCKED A CAT THROUGH A TURBO...KEEN IDEA!! WILL TRY THIS WEEKEND!:-missingt
seeing as my wife has 5 of 'em!!:-innocent

How did the rock climbing go yesterday Jason?

SkySkiJason 11-26-2010 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by nookiemonster55 (Post 9604097)
HUMMM NEVER SUCKED A CAT THROUGH A TURBO...KEEN IDEA!! WILL TRY THIS WEEKEND!:-missingt
seeing as my wife has 5 of 'em!!:-innocent

How did the rock climbing go yesterday Jason?

As rewarding as that experiment may be, I'm sure wifey will notice... :-innocent

We had a blast, I'll post a couple pics in the GTG thread! :-X04