Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   6.0L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum107/)
-   -   Detailed FICM Repair Procedure (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/909610-detailed-ficm-repair-procedure.html)

bpounds 02-21-2012 09:54 PM

If it is the original case, it should have a label on the top with your engine s/n and engine build date. That's one reason why I wanted to repair and keep my original. It's just a label, so that might be silly. But I'm happy.

FICMrepair.com 02-22-2012 12:40 AM

We live to make folks happy, Bill. Glad we could take care of you! :)

Aftermarket modules are typically fitted with some sort of security label preventing tampering. Most, but not all, OEM labels have the serial numbers like Bill was suggesting.

After mating back to the PCM, the only difference between the stock unit and an OE replacement is that label, except in the case of the early 6.0's since those came with the 7 pin modules and later ones are the 4 pin variety.

Belt slipping on alternators is WAY common. I'd be wanting to check alternator output through the ScanGauge or other to get a higher sense of comfort.

Hope this helps!!

Ed
ed@ficmrepair.com

bpounds 02-22-2012 09:37 AM

I will say this, and I guess it is on topic since it is FICM related - it is a lot easier to find your engine serial number on that label than it is to try and read the stamping on the rear of the engine block. So even if you don't keep your original FICM, make a record of that serial number and keep it. Someday when you are trying to order the correct parts for your engine, you will be glad you did.

Dans2Fords 02-22-2012 10:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the two pictures:

Attachment 202236

Attachment 202237

bpounds 02-22-2012 11:30 AM

Dan, the label in the first pic should have your s/n on it. Cannot quite read the out of focus pic.

Looks a little different than mine, but somewhat similar.
http://www.billpounds.com/truck/FICMlabel.jpg

The other label is also a factory original label. I have one too, on the bottom side of the FICM.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-j...0/DSCN1818.JPG

Dans2Fords 02-22-2012 01:59 PM

It looks like there was another tag next to the one on the top by the dirt built up on what looks like label adhesive.

Would the factory original label on the bottom be on an OEM replacement? I'm thinking it would but it may have a new manufacturer date on it instead of the 04/04 on mine.

Thanks for the pic of yours.

bpounds 02-22-2012 02:30 PM

I don't know. The only other labels I've seen is the rebuilders warranty label, which is usually stuck across the case parting line, so that they will know if the seal has been broken. But I don't know what a Ford rebuild would look like.

FICMrepair.com 02-23-2012 12:42 AM

The Ford rebuild label looks a whole lot like the OEM label, but says REMANUFACTURED on it. You'd be amazed at how many of those we get in for repair. Sort of sad, really.

Dans2Fords 02-23-2012 01:13 PM

Since I just found that the fuel pump was replaced, I'm just wondering what other things have been replaced on this truck.

FICMrepair.com 02-23-2012 04:30 PM

Might want to look at the blue spring upgrade...

Dans2Fords 02-23-2012 04:32 PM

I ordered new fuel filters and an air filter. Might as well do the blue spring while I'm at it. Is it a part that Ford carries in stock or will it take a day to order like almost everything else?

bpounds 02-23-2012 04:34 PM

This is the best source I know for the blue spring kit:
Riffraff Diesel Performance Parts: - Fuel Pressure Regulator

Also, you should try to get an Oasis report on your truck. That will tell you what was done to it under warranty.

Dans2Fords 02-23-2012 04:45 PM

Okay, Thanks for the link. Which one is the preferred method? The kit with the housing, or the kit with just the o-rings and blue spring?

Dans2Fords 02-23-2012 04:52 PM

Also, short of popping it open, is there a way to tell if the blue spring has already been done?

If it was done at Ford, which I'll try to get an Oasis report, would they have put the blue spring in it at that time or no?

bpounds 02-23-2012 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Dans2Fords (Post 11477802)
Okay, Thanks for the link. Which one is the preferred method? The kit with the housing, or the kit with just the o-rings and blue spring?

You don't need the housing. The cheaper kit has all the essentials.

Originally Posted by Dans2Fords (Post 11477827)
Also, short of popping it open, is there a way to tell if the blue spring has already been done?

If it was done at Ford, which I'll try to get an Oasis report, would they have put the blue spring in it at that time or no?

Depends on when it was done. The FP regulator update has been around for a couple of years IIRC. The only way for you to know now is to put a pressure gauge on it. A FP gauge is an excellent addition to the truck. Installing the blue spring kit at the same time as a FP gauge is ideal. I won't go into it all again, but there are plenty of install threads around here for both the spring kit and the FP sender. Really easy to do.