Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Puddy 09-07-2012 10:40 PM

Well, I replaced my tb with the bbk 61mm. Then after assembling, only to find I had low voltage to my throtle. Read .36. Well I know in my head I want to be at .8-1.0, so after tearing it all back down, to file out the holes a little bit (replaced the Tps as well at this point thinking it was it) threw it all back together and I'm right at the happy medium of .88.
So now it's great, just this weird whistle at about 2000rpm. Everything is tight, just kinda strange. All my parts to get painted are here; mirrors, lower valance, edelbrock intake, carriage works grill with new shell to cut out from. think I should just get a new chrome bumper, and leave the bumpers chrome, I don't know, part of me says I'll have too much orange. Also called about some grey leather excursion seats so we shall see if she replies to me on my offer. That's about it fer today!

Midnite1987 09-07-2012 10:44 PM

Did you get my pm puddy?

Puddy 09-07-2012 10:48 PM

Yea, whatcha upto tomorrow?

MeWoahIts 09-07-2012 10:51 PM

Put out my alternator on the side of the road that caught on fire!

Exciting, just fixed the truck two days ago after it had sat for a month.

Puddy 09-07-2012 10:52 PM

Sounds like its time for a 3G swap

Plain Jane 09-07-2012 11:28 PM

Wow, MeWoahIts, I can't say i have heard of an alternator actually catching fire before. Holy Sh**. That must have been a little nerve racking. Agree with Puddy.

MeWoahIts 09-07-2012 11:33 PM

It was very upsetting watching my truck burn :(. Yea I had never heard of alternators catching on fire either. Crazy stuff.

nate69z 09-07-2012 11:42 PM

today i spent 3 hours cleaning all the mudd off the old beast from my little adventure yesterday and then replaced 2 plugwires that managed to get a little to close my manifold haha

Jigger2020 09-08-2012 09:34 AM

I added some LED license plate lights, bullet style that hold the plate on, front & back

SouthernBlues 09-08-2012 10:43 AM

New Optima Red Top Battery

mpc07005 09-08-2012 12:29 PM

Whet home to check out the truck. My grandmother was taking care the shops for me while I'm at school. Turns out they didn't refill the coolant after the tensioner went (the bay was covered when it went in). Between them and another shop (to fix an old clutch pedal problem) she went 16 miles before I got to her on one gallon of coolant Doesn't seem to be any lasting damage, but I am definitely giving that shop a wide birth from now on. Also, NAPA wont give me the Prorate on my battery because the PO purchased it (13 months ago) and tossed the receipt. Guess I'll have to go to the next one and tell'em I lost the receipt.

-Mike

danr1 09-08-2012 06:08 PM

While didn't work on one I took a ride picked up a replacement part.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/7a54fcbc.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...e/bb0789ca.jpg

"96" cab, received bit more then expected/paid for, dang near complete cab minus doors.

He said the column was sold and the seat, I didn't care about the seat one way or that other as no real added value there anyway.
The dash cluster is in it as well as the computer, booster/master etc etc. Computer not shown in picture as I removed it brought it in the house. I opened it up, looks real good. Don't need it mine are V8's, but extras like that I'll take regardless! Brought the cluster in too, could see he tried to remove it but didn't finish, I disconneted it, unplugging brought it in too.

He said the truck ran/shifted great, had the 300 6, auto trans. Back end of the truck "broke" reason he's parting it out, badly damaged underneath at rear end but I didn't look to see what he meant by that exactly.
Also included the title and the key to the ignition.

While the cab isn't rust free what little rust it has is all surface rust, I'll clean it up thinking use POR on it.

Finally a good cab, rare commodity around these parts.

Now the fun starts......

danr1 09-08-2012 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by MeWoahIts (Post 12248499)
It was very upsetting watching my truck burn :(. Yea I had never heard of alternators catching on fire either. Crazy stuff.

Yes it is and good thing you acted when you did rather then wait for the FD, probably lost the whole thing if you had.

I only had one fire, wife came in the house woke me up out of dead sleep yelling your trucks on fire. Huh? what? what are you talking? what fire where?

"Your truck its on fire, I was going to run to the store a minute, I started it up turned on the heater but then could see flames/smoke under the dash".

Ran out to it bout half awake yet to find the ducting burning, melted hungs of it on fire dripping on the carpet. I got it out same way, blowing on it but dang that was close! Out of breath like you would not believe....well maybe you would, once I had it out.

The blower motor resistor fried dropping down on the plastic starting it on fire.

Anyway nice to hear you saved yours from a otherwise certain death!

big-ugly 09-08-2012 06:29 PM

You also got all the glass which looks to be in good condition, and the brake-booster/master cylinder. I would say you turned out alright with that cab :)

Redneckfordf2502002 09-08-2012 06:32 PM

A few days ago I started taking apart the frame from the front and rear axle to our 84 donor truck.

By the way I have had 2 fires on my truck. It turns out if you hook up the intake manifold wrong it will catch on fire. Well thats what we learned the hard way. We ended up doing it on 2 trucks luckly we don't have to put any new intake manifolds on any.
Trav