Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.0L Powerstroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum204/)
-   -   New Lawsuit Involving F-150 Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/622418-new-lawsuit-involving-f-150-diesel.html)

patrickke 12-20-2008 01:52 AM

from what i heard cat is in a world of hurt because they are not able to meet emission standards but that's just hearsay

rob_nc 12-20-2008 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by patrickke (Post 6905676)
from what i heard cat is in a world of hurt because they are not able to meet emission standards but that's just hearsay

Caterpillar announced last June they are getting out of the on-highway engine business.

Transport Topics Online | Caterpillar to Exit Class 8 Engine Market After 2010

mschultz 12-20-2008 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Beachbumcook (Post 4838161)
Maybe Ford should have tested these motors with low cetane fuel (40 - 42) which is the most common fuel most of us buy. They should have bought from regular fuel stations like the rest of us do?

Maybe Ford should have towed and worked these trucks like many of us do?

Maybe Ford should have tested a few "aftermarket tuners" just to develop a "worse case senerio" base line and knowing that many deisels get
tested" this way?

Maybe Ford should have towed at max rating throught the mountains to check for head gasket failure and "puking" and done more than a 1 week run.

Maybe Ford should have trained all their techs "proactively" instead of "on the job training". They have done better on the 6.4L... but not to do so for the 6.0L was a mistake.

Maybe Ford should have stayed with the "stock" Nasvistar tune and not tried to boost the HP and torque as much as they did? Navistar does not even come close to having the problems that Ford does with their version (VT365) of this motor?

Maybe Ford should have used the Navistar electronics and injectors like Navistar uses and not try and "redevelop" the motor with their engineers?

AMEN to that!

Thank you!

Did Ford really "redevelop" as you mention? hmmm... sketchy....

If Ford drops International, which is what it looks like, I will move on to Cummins.

Regarding the lawsuit: one would have to see the architecture of the 4.4 motor and the International motor to see what is really going on.

Regarding warranty claims: I could see International getting fed up with warranty claims from Ford for modified motors. I know of a number of "dudes" who did some really stupid mods, ran the hell out of the trucks, and then had the dealer back them up. International got stuck with that cost.

Next- how many trucks did dealers tear into looking for leaking rear main seals before discovering that the lube on the bell housing was from the throwout bearing? Can you imagine how pissed International was to be getting billed for warranty costs totally unassociated with their motors?

Louisville Joe 01-02-2009 06:48 PM

The International designed 4.5L V-6 diesel did get used in the Ford and International LCF commercial trucks. They have been trouble, and it is probably a good thing the 4.5L didn't make it into the F-150. As far as I know, the lawsuits between Ford and Interational have yet to be settled. Unfortunately, this will probably mean the end of not only the LCF but also the F-650 and F-750, as these trucks are built by International for Ford dealers.

7.3 Rocket 01-07-2009 10:11 PM

I just read all 8 pages here.

Few things to say.

1: You'll never see a CAT in a pickup as a factory option. CAT is trying to get out of all onroad use not expand to little trucks.

2: Navistar and CAT are teaming up as CATNav from what I read a while back

3: If gassers are so freakin great why do you never see a gas engine in a commercial truck?

*pot stirred*

Lead Head 01-07-2009 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by 7.3 Rocket (Post 6982652)
I just read all 8 pages here.

Few things to say.

1: You'll never see a CAT in a pickup as a factory option. CAT is trying to get out of all onroad use not expand to little trucks.

2: Navistar and CAT are teaming up as CATNav from what I read a while back

3: If gassers are so freakin great why do you never see a gas engine in a commercial truck?

*pot stirred*

Efficiency. Gas engine range from 15-25% efficient, while diesels hit 30-40% efficiency levels. Diesels also have a slight advantage that because the ignition of the fuel comes from compression, so it needs to be relatively close to TDC to inject fuel, the pressure in the cylinder is fairly consistent throughout the stroke. With a gas engine, ignition usually occurs a good deal before TDC, so pressure in the cylinder starts to drop off further down the stroke, giving diesels a slight torque advantage.

tjc transport 01-08-2009 10:57 AM

up until the mid 50's or so, gas was the prevalent engine in large trucks, and diesel was the rarity, due to low horsepower ratings. even into the 60's most large truck diesels were only in the 200 to 250 hp rating. a friend of mine used the ford 534 engine in his class 8 tractors until 1975?? i think it was when the 534 was dropped from the lineup. his reasoning was that you only needed to keep parts for one engine in stock.
only then did he switch over to the 3406 cat power-plants. and since he would run the trucks for 25+ years, he just finally retired the last gasser about 5 years ago.
and he only retired it because the 76 has been taken off the road and put to yard jockey duty, making the gasser no longer needed.

but it is still sitting in the back shed, waiting to go to work if needed.