Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

materthegreater 05-23-2012 07:49 PM

Put a u-joint in mine today. It had smoked the old one... BAD Truck! }>

Now it doesn't squeak any time I drive anywhere.

whiteboyslo 05-23-2012 08:36 PM

Installed a set of GE Nighthawk Platinum headlight bulbs in combination with a headlight relay harness kit from LMC Truck. Waiting for it to get dark so I can test 'em out. I'll post pics, provided they come out good enough to show anything.

I really wanted to do a HID upgrade, but I couldn't find anyone that makes a projector headlight for a bricknose and I don't trust my DIY skills, so this was the next best thing.

Oh, and FYI to those on the fence, the headlight relay harness kit is easy to install. It took me all of 20 minutes and I didn't drill a thing.

Mike

FourXFord2 05-23-2012 11:03 PM

Dropped a battery into my '91 exploder, it fired right up. It's been sitting for 2 years now. Pulled it into front yard and washed it down, then started cleaning and vacuuming out the interior. Then it started to rain!

dmanlyr 05-23-2012 11:58 PM

Last weekend I installed new front wheel bearings and brake pads on the 90 f250, turns out the idiot that last did the bearing repack didn't pack the bearings, I found only a light coating.

Cut & installed the new cheater boards on the C600 dump.

Recieved the 99 work provided F250 back from the shop, had some front end noise when turning right... the shop just installed new front brakes, rotors and bearngs. Turns out the shop did not adjust the front wheel bearings properly. I guess they missed the part where you torque the adjustment nut down to 22-25 ft lbs and then back it off. I wish I could do my own work on the truck, but it is required to take it to the shop.

David

GuitarJesus 05-24-2012 12:27 AM

Put in new fuel pumps today, front and rear. Front a new Spectra Premium unit (had to cut off front of electrical and connect connector off old pump, which sucks. Also turns out my old pump had the 3rd nipple for a generator fuel line, weird on a F350. Rear pump is used genuine FoMoCo part, but given a 2 year warranty. Score. Luckily the boys next door helped me take the bed off. Made the job nice and easy, even with rewiring the new pump connector.

Hey whiteboys, what is the purpose of the headlight relay kit?

terryknight 05-24-2012 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by FourXFord2 (Post 11870753)
Dropped a battery into my '91 exploder, it fired right up. It's been sitting for 2 years now. Pulled it into front yard and washed it down, then started cleaning and vacuuming out the interior. Then it started to rain!

isn't that how it goes

Originally Posted by dmanlyr (Post 11870881)
Recieved the 99 work provided F250 back from the shop, had some front end noise when turning right... the shop just installed new front brakes, rotors and bearngs. Turns out the shop did not adjust the front wheel bearings properly. I guess they missed the part where you torque the adjustment nut down to 22-25 ft lbs and then back it off. I wish I could do my own work on the truck, but it is required to take it to the shop.

they are professional that are being paid. scary

whiteboyslo 05-24-2012 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by GuitarJesus (Post 11870929)
Hey whiteboys, what is the purpose of the headlight relay kit?

As it has been explained to me.....

In stock trim, the voltage that powers the headlights runs through the headlight switch. This creates a few issues. One, there is a potential to have a failure of the headlight switch. I've even read some instances where the switch melts. Two, the voltage drop caused by having to run the voltage all that ways through such small gauge wire effectively causes the headlights to burn dimmer. Compound this with the 9004 bulbs my truck runs (which, as I found through some online research, is a notoriously crappy design for light output), and you have sub-par headlights.

The headlight relay harness solves these issues by allowing the headlights to draw their power directly from the battery via a heavier gauge wire. It then uses a set of relays that allow the headlight switch to still do its job of turning the lights on and off, but now the juice that powers the lights doesn't come through the switch itself.

I did all this because I've become spoiled with the light output from the HIDs in my other vehicle. Pun intended, the difference in light output between it and my truck is/was night and day. I find myself using the hi-beams on the truck more than I ever do on my other car just to get the same distance of light, so hopefully this will change that. I flipped the lights on last night, and the results look promising standing still. I'll have to get out and drive it at night to really tell, though.

Mike

GuitarJesus 05-24-2012 09:42 AM

Wow Mike thanks. I just might do this, after i replace the driver's side headlight ( the damn lens fell off, talk about high beams!)

RIKIL 05-24-2012 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by whiteboyslo (Post 11871840)
As it has been explained to me.....

In stock trim, the voltage that powers the headlights runs through the headlight switch. This creates a few issues. One, there is a potential to have a failure of the headlight switch. I've even read some instances where the switch melts. Two, the voltage drop caused by having to run the voltage all that ways through such small gauge wire effectively causes the headlights to burn dimmer. Compound this with the 9004 bulbs my truck runs (which, as I found through some online research, is a notoriously crappy design for light output), and you have sub-par headlights.

The headlight relay harness solves these issues by allowing the headlights to draw their power directly from the battery via a heavier gauge wire. It then uses a set of relays that allow the headlight switch to still do its job of turning the lights on and off, but now the juice that powers the lights doesn't come through the switch itself.

I did all this because I've become spoiled with the light output from the HIDs in my other vehicle. Pun intended, the difference in light output between it and my truck is/was night and day. I find myself using the hi-beams on the truck more than I ever do on my other car just to get the same distance of light, so hopefully this will change that. I flipped the lights on last night, and the results look promising standing still. I'll have to get out and drive it at night to really tell, though.

Mike

I had rewired my lights years ago because I wanted daytime running head lights. When I did that job I had the same concerns about the headlight switch as you mentioned.

Would you be able to scan the instructions for the harness you got so I could take a look? I'd be interested in using that harness but want to see how it goes together before I make that call.

Thanks.

whiteboyslo 05-24-2012 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by RIKIL (Post 11871975)
Would you be able to scan the instructions for the harness you got so I could take a look? I'd be interested in using that harness but want to see how it goes together before I make that call.

Thanks.

Sorry. I threw them out already. But if there's any questions I can answer, lemme know.

Mike

RIKIL 05-24-2012 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by whiteboyslo (Post 11874778)
Sorry. I threw them out already...Mike

BLASPHEMY!!! :-X19

Never throw that stuff out. You might need it some day and it takes up so little space. Of course, I saved every receipt (as well as instructions for various items) from my recent rebuilt and I am afraid to add up the total, I guess it can be a blessing and disguise.

No worries, maybe I can get something from LMC truck.

oldmongo 05-24-2012 11:40 PM

Bright Lights Mr Rikil

Originally Posted by RIKIL (Post 11874794)
BLASPHEMY!!! :-X19

Never throw that stuff out. You might need it some day and it takes up so little space. Of course, I saved every receipt (as well as instructions for various items) from my recent rebuilt and I am afraid to add up the total, I guess it can be a blessing and disguise.

No worries, maybe I can get something from LMC truck.

This article on brighter lights was in FTE Articles/Specs I think this is what you wanted I hope Dave :-wink :-X22

Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights .: Articles

terryknight 05-25-2012 06:45 AM

finished up my IC install yesterday. now i need to track down a vacuum leak

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...cooler/003.jpg
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...ntercooler.jpg
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/complete.jpg

whiteboyslo 05-25-2012 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by oldmongo (Post 11874863)
This article on brighter lights was in FTE Articles/Specs I think this is what you wanted I hope Dave :-wink :-X22

Whiter Whites, Brighter Brights .: Articles

Wiring-wise, that's how mine does it (minus the optional stuff like simultaneous hi/low beam usage).

The advantage to the LMC kit, though, is that it's 100% plug and play. The harnesses are all nicely bundled and insulated, and they wired everything to connectors that plug in line to the stock wiring so that you don't have to cut or splice anything. They also put a connector in line to the hot leads so you can quickly disconnect the whole system. It'll be handy if/when I need to pull the passenger side battery because the wires currently run over it.

I hooked the hot leads from the kit up to the bolt for the positive battery clamp. It was pretty easy since the previous owner had wired one or two things to there and had already added an additional nut to secure all the wire rings. As for mounting the relays, I used a couple of the bolts near the battery to piggy-back the relays off of so that I didn't have to drill. The only thing I added above and beyond what came in the kit was a few zip ties to attach the harness to the positive battery cable that runs between my two batteries. Made for a nice, clean install IMO.

Mike

oldmongo 05-25-2012 10:25 AM

Mike, I do understand the the wiring harness from LMC or the one from RJM are a much cleaned and easier then what was in that article. But it does layout the how and why if the project. Brighter lights are going to happen the mine too ...soon, my electric fans are first ... then !!! I think I like RJM's kit better, BUT both do the same job ... it it NOT worth my time to make my own !!! Dave :-wink :-X22

( I lived in San Diego area before I moved to Vegas area )