Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   3.0L Powerstroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum204/)
-   -   New Lawsuit Involving F-150 Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/622418-new-lawsuit-involving-f-150-diesel.html)

dkf 06-03-2008 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Lead Head (Post 6217790)
$5000 will pay for it self in no time with the long oil change intervals, engine life, and higher mileage the diesel gets

Don't know how this turned into a gas vs diesel spiel, but I'll bite.

Its actually $6200 or $6800 if your getting a new diesel. Engine life isn't really a factor as the new diesels life expectancy is being reduced with the more power being rung out. OCI are the same with diesels as gassers 5k miles. Depends how you do the math, but today new truck to new truck there is zero advantage to going diesel (Well maybe a little more torque) especially since you can buy a Ford reman gasser for $3600.

Back to the origional topic and maybe this was answered, I just skimmed through and didn't read everything. How does Navistar have any basis to sue Ford over the 4.4l? Hasn't the 4.4l diesel been manufactured for several years for use across the pond?

tex25025 06-03-2008 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 6222442)
Depends how you do the math, but today new truck to new truck there is zero advantage to going diesel (Well maybe a little more torque) especially since you can buy a Ford reman gasser for $3600.

Not necessarily. There are a couple of other advantages that I can think of that you would have by sticking with diesel. On it's face it doesn't look like diesels have their advantage anymore, but if you think outside the box, they still have a few surprises left in them.

origcharger 06-03-2008 10:10 PM

Its actually $6200 or $6800 if your getting a new diesel. Engine life isn't really a factor as the new diesels life expectancy is being reduced with the more power being rung out. OCI are the same with diesels as gassers 5k miles. Depends how you do the math, but today new truck to new truck there is zero advantage to going diesel (Well maybe a little more torque) especially since you can buy a Ford reman gasser for $3600.

Back to the origional topic and maybe this was answered, I just skimmed through and didn't read everything. How does Navistar have any basis to sue Ford over the 4.4l? Hasn't the 4.4l diesel been manufactured for several years for use across the pond?

200 ft lbs. is just a "little more torque"?

Lead Head 06-04-2008 10:11 AM

Don't know how this turned into a gas vs diesel spiel, but I'll bite.

You can easily go 10,000 miles on diesels, it was the old oil acuated 7.3 and 6.0s that were really picky about oil, and you must not know much about diesel engines if you think life is reduce because of the increased power. The cummins 5.9 and 6.7 used in dodges have always been rated at 300,000 miles life to overhaul. Talking about an engine that started out with what? 170HP and how has 350HP, with still the same life expantancy.

Also, its not a little more torque, its over 200 ft-lbs more as it was said, at a much lower RPM. Peak 650 ft-lbs reached at 1600-2000 RPMs, instead of 360 ft-lbs @ 3600 RPM.

It doesn't matter that ford may have be using the diesel over seas, the agreement was that ford could not use an inhouse diesel in the F-150

dkf 06-04-2008 11:09 AM

Recommended OCI isn't 10k miles. You can use a 10k OCI on pretty much any truck engine especially when utilizing synthetics, OA and aftermarket filtering systems. With over 200ft lbs more torque than a gasser, the performance difference is not that astoundingly different until you get high in altutude or approach the 18k GCWR range. Gearing needs to be right to accomadate the powerband of the engine. Torque on the 3V 6.8l is 457ft. lbs at 3250rpm. Seems the manufactuers are trying to spin diesels faster to get a more gasserlike powerband. I agree the diesel responds to modifications much better and is not as picky with fuel type as gasser, well at least prior to dpfs and more strict emmisions.

So the 7.3l and the 6.0l get about the same life expectancy before an overhaul?

A recommended at 300k miles service life isn't too far off from a gasser.

That sounds like a very unfair agreement between Ford and International, and was to internationals benefit. I think it would probably be cheaper for Ford if they could work with International to continue building engines vs spending big $$$ to build and retool a new facility especially with the current decline in truck sales. If Ford wants to make a go of this new 4.4l in the 1/2 ton it better yield impressive mpg and decent power #s or it is doomed from the start.

origcharger 06-04-2008 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by dkf (Post 6224707)
That sounds like a very unfair agreement between Ford and International, and was to internationals benefit. .

Remember Ford renegged on a deal with International around 2001-03 for the 4.5 V6 diesel to be used in SUVs and light trucks after International invested much money on its development, this exclusivity agreement may have been part of the settlement reached on that deal.

dkf 06-04-2008 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by origcharger (Post 6225372)
Remember Ford renegged on a deal with International around 2001-03 for the 4.5 V6 diesel to be used in SUVs and light trucks after International invested much money on its development, this exclusivity agreement may have been part of the settlement reached on that deal.

I remember hearing about it way back when and actually didn't recall it until you brought it up. Around 01' would have been a great time for Ford to release the 1/2 ton Diesel. The truck market is in a slump right now so I don't know how it will do.

northern 7.3 06-06-2008 10:59 PM

Toyota already showed a one ton at SEMA i believe it was with an 8.0L??? Hino Diesel. concept yes but.... never know.

daniel simonsen 09-07-2008 05:56 PM

the only motor that ford ever made that was built to last was the 300 i6 i wish ford would put in the time and reserch in these motors and use them v8 diesels are junk besides the old idi i have a 93 ford f 250 with the 300 i6 c6 trans 4.10 rear and it will pull my dads 6000 pound boat just as good as my 95 dodge ram cummins 12 valve no matter gas or diesel i think the i6 will always last the longest with least amount problems than the v8 motors they are not much on speed but they run smooth and dependable and thats what i think ford should put in the f 150s

MisterCMK 09-07-2008 09:58 PM

The 300 had its day but there comes a point where things need to be put out to pasture.

slomafarms 10-06-2008 01:10 PM

toyota and cat??? no!!!
there couldnt be anything worse

diesel power is the best mag out there...

smokin_h 11-14-2008 06:45 PM

TOYOTA...its all simple here ill spell it out..."TOY"ota...even if they do have a diesel it will probably be a joke IMHO

tjc transport 11-14-2008 07:14 PM

toy yoda has had a diesel division for years. it is called hino

smokin_h 11-14-2008 07:19 PM

i know lol but it will probably be a joke if they put it in their junk trucks...who knows what ridiculous tv commercial they will make for it??

mnmwhit 11-14-2008 07:50 PM

The 8 liter Hino will not be a joke. especially if they hook it to the 7 speed manual they had at SEMA. Toyota has already taken a large market share of the light truck market with the Tacoma and then the Tundra. If they make a 1 ton duelie they will take that much more. I do hope Ford gets it together soon.

I really would like to buy a diesel SUV. The diesel F-150/Expedition seem to be on the shelf, Chevy has pushed back the mini Duramax Suburban back.......Hummmmm I would buy a Hino/Sequoia.