Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum38/)
-   -   Highboy Rear Fuel Tanks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1217546-highboy-rear-fuel-tanks.html)

lafermedavid 12-25-2016 11:11 AM

aero tank

2 Attachment(s)
hey 9th pony Doug,always apreciate your in put,because you have crossed that bridge,Im currently placing rear cross members,ripped down 3x5 tube stock.maybe you can tell buy the pics ,the notch in gas tank location correctness,,,Im just using the original holes in frame for location ,Ive already mocked my bumper and bed for cross member placement 10/4 on that ,,,I know I probably just need to get the tank,,,,Thanks Doug Merry Christmas all Oh yea while Im at it that curt14082 fit the highboy frame eh,,,thankyou acording to your measurements Im looking good for cross members,but I need to rotate the rear flat side facing tank/time to drill.

Lisa DeHerrera 02-03-2020 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by TrippingCobras (Post 12729821)
I am in the middle of a restoration of my 1977 F250 highboy and will need a new fuel tank. I have seen all of the work arounds and every one of them required custom fabrication, whether it be to the truck or the tank.

The primary design challenge is a result of the location of the cross member between the shackles on the rear frame.

My intent is to break the cycle and have a bolt in kit made and availablefrom a retailer.

READ THIS!

My question goes to all of the truck owners who still have a gas tank in their cabs due to this issue. If I can get a company to build a kit, how many of you would seriously be willing to purchase one?

Absolutely! I’ve been looking for one. What kind of price range do you think?

fordguy2100 02-03-2020 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa DeHerrera (Post 19093431)
Absolutely! I’ve been looking for one. What kind of price range do you think?

he posted that in 2013 and I dont think he ever got a kit to do so.

williebur 09-08-2021 03:59 PM

Frankenstein

Originally Posted by PA74F250 (Post 12730208)
That's what I thought. However the truck I'm working is a early 77 F250 Hb and has been owned by my buddies dad since practically day 1 and was completely orig and it has the bed just like the one linked from eBay. What's up with that?

that's true i am in process of figuring out how get a rear tank in my 1975 highboy. Except 1977 highboy are a little different. The 1977 has a 37" frame in it outside to outside. Inside to inside is like around 32" or os. Well the 1975 as a 34.5" frame. So that leaves me with 27.5" to play with. And all i find in factory tanks is a 23gal tank from ford. I want something a little bigger if possible tho. But i might have to go with it unless i spend around a $ 1000 or better to get one made. I do not believe the books that say 73- 79 are the same. Because they are not.

maddogjohnson 09-08-2021 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by williebur (Post 20055288)
that's true i am in process of figuring out how get a rear tank in my 1975 highboy. Except 1977 highboy are a little different. The 1977 has a 37" frame in it outside to outside. Inside to inside is like around 32" or os. Well the 1975 as a 34.5" frame. So that leaves me with 27.5" to play with. And all i find in factory tanks is a 23gal tank from ford. I want something a little bigger if possible tho. But i might have to go with it unless i spend around a $ 1000 or better to get one made. I do not believe the books that say 73- 79 are the same. Because they are not.

I see we're both in CA.

I have a 1993 cab and chassis gas tank I'm not using that fits into a highboy chassis if you're interested (only 19 gallons though). If interested PM me after you have enough posts.

williebur 09-08-2021 10:26 PM

Frankenstein

Originally Posted by maddogjohnson (Post 20055837)
I see we're both in CA.

I have a 1993 cab and chassis gas tank I'm not using that fits into a highboy chassis if you're interested (only 19 gallons though). If interested PM me after you have enough posts.

The 93 has a wider frame then mine. In 77 & up they added 3.5 more inches in the width of the frame. So it not fit between the rails at all. If the tank is more then 27 inches wide. It is too big for mine

maddogjohnson 09-08-2021 10:45 PM

I forgot to include links to a few threads that have pictures of this tank/shield on my truck, which is a 1975 highboy crewcab with the 34.5" frame. The 1980 - 1996 cab and chassis trucks have the same rear frame width as the highboys.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post17833482

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19174660

I'm in process of putting in one of those fancy 32 gallon ~$1000 aerotanks right now. I've had the cab and chassis tank mounted on my truck, the super camper special tank, and now the aerotank.

The super camper special tank is the easiest solution of them all (completely drop in) but the hardest to locate.

ChaseTruck754 09-08-2021 11:49 PM

There was a guy here in So Cal who was somewhat parting a SCS not too long ago. He was cutting it up to make an offroad truck and getting rid of the back half of the truck pretty much. He did have the tank (which I want to say is 23 gal, but my memory is old/crappy!). I can see if he still has it if you want. If I remember right he was in the Hemet area.

Also, I built my own tank. It holds +/-46 gal. I've sold the plans/measurements on here before. It's kind like the aerotank but has more capacity. I did mine out of aluminum, but you could easily make it out of steel too.