Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

5Rangers 07-18-2011 07:16 PM

Worked on the new junkyard distributor TFI mount holes by running a tap through them and installing a different phillips head 10/32 screws. Stabbed the new distributor in the block. The engine started but didn't run right, I tried to set the timing but could never get the timing marks to align. So I pulled the dizzy out and went through the motions of getting on #1 TDC compression stroke and restabbed the distributor. Then it wouldn't start at all. I believe the harmonic balancer is spun and I may have struck it in on the exhaust stroke.

I'm planning on using a compression gauge and a straw to get back on #1 TDC compression. Then restab the dizzy and I will attempt to set the timing by using the "vacuum gauge" method, which should hold it over until I can get the balancer off and replaced.

SideWinder4.9l 07-18-2011 07:39 PM

Drove it, more fuel, and some nice decals.....

96F150EB 07-18-2011 07:40 PM

Added 1 bottle of Gumout® Concentrated Fuel System Cleaner to front gas tank and code P0401 disappeared. Hmmm....

Seabiscuit-P3 07-18-2011 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by SideWinder4.9l (Post 10590646)
Put gas in it.....And kept lookin at the diesel pump....:-X15

Put diesel in mine and ignored the GAS pump! :-X04

Redcat Diesel 07-18-2011 08:53 PM

Over the weekend I got my spare 8.8 out of storage since the rear in mine is getting noisey. I want to clean it up and replace the axle seals before it's installed. Took a ride to the local Advance Auto Parts. Told them I needed rear axle seals. 2 guys and 20 minutes later they can't find a listing. Shook my head and went to Auto Zone across the street. 1 guy and 5 minutes he can't find a listing. Grrr...... Came home and ran a search. Had the seal number in 5 minutes. Cross referenced it with a National Seal catalog. For giggles I searched National's web site to see how many vehicles it fits. From '67 thru '08 at some point or another Ford, GM and Chrysler used that same seal in rear axles. 41 years, 3 O.E.M's and the parts outfits don't list it? :-banghead

Marine5811 07-18-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel (Post 10593206)
Over the weekend I got my spare 8.8 out of storage since the rear in mine is getting noisey. I want to clean it up and replace the axle seals before it's installed. Took a ride to the local Advance Auto Parts. Told them I needed rear axle seals. 2 guys and 20 minutes later they can't find a listing. Shook my head and went to Auto Zone across the street. 1 guy and 5 minutes he can't find a listing. Grrr...... Came home and ran a search. Had the seal number in 5 minutes. Cross referenced it with a National Seal catalog. For giggles I searched National's web site to see how many vehicles it fits. From '67 thru '08 at some point or another Ford, GM and Chrysler used that same seal in rear axles. 41 years, 3 O.E.M's and the parts outfits don't list it? :-banghead

Wow. You might have had better luck trying to get a part number from a dealership parts counter. It's so frustrating when parts stores don't know anything outside their little system. Did anybody try to at least Google it for you?

mgroshong 07-18-2011 09:07 PM

I put in new air and pcv/valve cover filters and a serpentine belt. A few checked off the long list of things to be done.

Redcat Diesel 07-18-2011 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marine5811 (Post 10593254)
Wow. You might have had better luck trying to get a part number from a dealership parts counter. It's so frustrating when parts stores don't know anything outside their little system. Did anybody try to at least Google it for you?

Sadly they didn't. I ran a search for National Seal. Had a number in 5 minutes. Now for more fun. I have to go back and order 2 of National 8835s. Ordering by number usually drives them batty.

Jaime74656 07-18-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel (Post 10593308)
Sadly they didn't. I ran a search for National Seal. Had a number in 5 minutes. Now for more fun. I have to go back and order 2 of National 8835s. Ordering by number usually drives them batty.

well personially i would make them order by numbers just as a way to drive them batty, least thats what i would do if i had to do 100% of the work my self...

Redcat Diesel 07-18-2011 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jaime74656 (Post 10593397)
well personially i would make them order by numbers just as a way to drive them batty, least thats what i would do if i had to do 100% of the work my self...

As long as I can get someone to cooperate. A lot of counter personell are trained year, make, model. Anything outside the box and they won't deal with you.:-X15

jk89cat 07-18-2011 10:13 PM

fought with my broken exhaust manifold bolts some more, sweating my butt off in the 70% humidity! , short answer the bolts are winning i may be removing the heads,,,,

jk89cat 07-18-2011 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Redcat Diesel (Post 10593542)
As long as I can get someone to cooperate. A lot of counter personell are trained year, make, model. Anything outside the box and they won't deal with you.:-X15

as a profesional ford parts guy , i look up my own numbers before i step foot in those stores , for that reason, or they have never heard of what i want , that they have instock,,,,

MarksA-C 07-18-2011 10:37 PM

I did my most favorite thing with my truck. Drove it!

From Home to work and work home. Damn its too hot out to not have working A/C.

Jaime74656 07-19-2011 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by jk89cat (Post 10593672)
as a profesional ford parts guy , i look up my own numbers before i step foot in those stores , for that reason, or they have never heard of what i want , that they have instock,,,,

thank god for Ford tech/design manuals :) thats all i have to say especially when i get the priceless looks on the poor kids face when i put it on the counter and dig through it for the item/part number i need LOL!!

460/5 07-19-2011 08:25 AM

well, finally got my 84. :-bigparty

over the last three days:

"tweaked" the IP, netted +/- 40 rear wheel HP at 6,500 feet above sea level. at this elevation, it is pullin a 26 second 0-60, with a horrible start and a missed shift; probably cost me 3 or 4 seconds.

took rear axle (dana 70) apart to inspect bearins. all was well, so painted hubs silver, and axle shaft flanges and diff cover metalic blue.

replaced 265/75R16 tires with 315/85R16s. this resulted in rubbin on my runnin boards; at 6'9" i never use said runnin boards, so, i promptly removed them. the truck looks even meaner now.

drove it to the store, and about half way there, it spat out the alternator belt which decided to take the a/c and powersteerin belts with it. SO, replaced those three, and the belt from the alternator to the vacuum pump.

ill try to get some pics up when i get a chance.