Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   understanding 4R100 Torque Converter Problems (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1151916-understanding-4r100-torque-converter-problems.html)

mueckster 07-05-2012 10:29 PM

Reps to ya, Brother, when I can. Thanks for sharing the pics and info. :-drink

DDogbreath 08-30-2012 04:50 PM

Hey guy's I unfortunately jumped into this problem with both feet. My work truck started puking massive quantities of ATF. out the front seal.

I have a 94 F-250 2-WD it just passed the 133,000 mile mark. I am new here, and bookmarked the page I was referencing about the "Viton seal"
Unfortunately the page I was on did not save as I hoped

I checked with NAPA as someones advice pointed me in that direction.
The one in Tucson knows nothing about it. Does anyone have a part number?

Knee deep in type "F"

No truck = no work for me... Thank you in advance Dave "Dogbreath"

BadDogKuzz 08-30-2012 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by DDogbreath (Post 12220122)
Hey guy's I unfortunately jumped into this problem with both feet. My work truck started puking massive quantities of ATF. out the front seal.

I have a 94 F-250 2-WD it just passed the 133,000 mile mark. I am new here, and bookmarked the page I was referencing about the "Viton seal"
Unfortunately the page I was on did not save as I hoped

I checked with NAPA as someones advice pointed me in that direction.
The one in Tucson knows nothing about it. Does anyone have a part number?

Knee deep in type "F"

No truck = no work for me... Thank you in advance Dave "Dogbreath"

Dave here is a tread addressing part of the issue you are having. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...p-bushing.html
The part # is at the end of tread.

DDogbreath 08-30-2012 06:53 PM

BadDogKuzz, I appreciate the speedy reply. I hope I can get by for now with the Viton seal and a new tail shaft seal.

I would hate to have to haul all my work equipment on my other ride I just parked it in the garage here. I' will fill it up with different & interesting vehicles eventually.

I take it you are a dog lover too. I have a Bull/Boxer named Ryder that plays a decent game of soccer using a 10 inch tire.
This was his first video with experienced players. He has another 6 months of training under his collar and has improved quite a bit. I will update soon.

Youtube video "Soccer Dog Movie.avi" in case I have more trouble with posting a link.
Soccer Dog Movie.avi - YouTube

Mark Kovalsky 08-30-2012 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by DDogbreath (Post 12220122)
Knee deep in type "F"

I hope you're not really running Type "F" ATF.

BadDogKuzz 08-30-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by DDogbreath (Post 12220426)
BadDogKuzz, I appreciate the speedy reply. I hope I can get by for now with the Viton seal and a new tail shaft seal.

I would hate to have to haul all my work equipment on my other ride I just parked it in the garage here. I' will fill it up with different & interesting vehicles eventually.

I take it you are a dog lover too. I have a Bull/Boxer named Ryder that plays a decent game of soccer using a 10 inch tire.
This was his first video with experienced players. He has another 6 months of training under his collar and has improved quite a bit. I will update soon.

Youtube video "Soccer Dog Movie.avi" in case I have more trouble with posting a link.
Soccer Dog Movie.avi - YouTube

Well DDog I am glad you have a dog smart enough to play soccer. My dog "Rufus" is a great guard dog but he is as dumb as a box of rocks!!

And welcome to FTE!! :-drink You hang out here awhile you find this a great group of guys that are willing to go out of their way to help each other out. I have learned so much from these guys and learn something new everyday. So read, learn and enjoy!! :-wink

DDogbreath 08-31-2012 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 12220583)

Actually I never put a drop in it yet. This is my first Ford with an automatic. How am I to assume that type "F" would be the wrong choice?

Please give me a heads up on this, now I am glad I hadn't run out and picked up a case and a half of it if it's no good.

Thanks! DD In case I haven't added it is a 1994 F-250 2-WD 5.0 E4OD work truck with 133,000 miles on it. :-huh

DDogbreath 08-31-2012 12:33 AM

Actually I never put a drop in it yet. This is my first Ford with an automatic. How am I to assume that type "F" would be the wrong choice?

Please give me a heads up on this, now I am glad I hadn't run out and picked up a case and a half of it if it's no good.

Thanks! DD

PS In case I haven't added it is a 1994 F-250 2-WD 5.0 E4OD work truck with 133,000 miles on it. :-huh

Mark Kovalsky 08-31-2012 06:40 AM

Type F became obsolete in the 70's. Your dipstick says right on it to use MERCON transmission fluid.

Actually, MERCON has been obsoleted as well. MERCON V is the replacement for MERCON. MERCON equivalent is still in the stores, so you can use either MERCON or MERCON V. MERCON V is a better fluid. You will need about 20 quarts to do a complete fluid changes.

Farmboypowerstroke 08-31-2012 07:55 AM

I've always used dexron 3. I have type F in it now, never had a problem.

DDogbreath 08-31-2012 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well Now I am busted... Back in the 70's I was a "Chevy guy", when gas was .35 a gallon.

Attachment 201622

I'm glad you are quoting "Tyson the wrestler" instead of "Tyson the boxer" ... :-X22

Mark Kovalsky 08-31-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Farmboypowerstroke (Post 12221875)
I've always used dexron 3. I have type F in it now, never had a problem.

What is "it" that has Type F in it now?

CampSpringsJohn 08-31-2012 09:09 AM

This is a great thread! Thanks guys for all the information!

BadDogKuzz 08-31-2012 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky (Post 12222086)
What is "it" that has Type F in it now?

Mark since you ask that question. I have a 1976 E350/motorhome 76k with a C6 in it and I want to change out the old type F. It hasn't been changed in over 15 yrs and was wondering can I use Mercon or MerconV without causing damage to the seals?? Or what kind of problems do you think I might run into? Thanks

Mark Kovalsky 08-31-2012 10:42 AM

MERCON won't damage the seals on your old C6. It will, however, completely destroy the clutches and bands, requiring a rebuild.

Ford switched to MERCON from Type F in either 1977 or 1978. A 1976 C6 MUST have Type F or the frictions are going to slip and destroy themselves.