Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   EFI to CARB conversion help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/898343-efi-to-carb-conversion-help.html)

jackietreehorn 12-17-2021 01:13 PM

Have you checked the fuse that powers the speedo/tach?

My4Fordtrucks 12-17-2021 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jackietreehorn (Post 20200556)
Have you checked the fuse that powers the speedo/tach?

…or run the KOEO self test to see if the computer has anything to tell you about what is wrong.

alanp561 12-17-2021 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks (Post 20200728)
…or run the KOEO self test to see if the computer has anything to tell you about what is wrong.

Bought an EBD II scanner, tried running the KOEO self test and got two codes. One told me the speed sensor was bad but I had just replaced it. The other had to do with the wiring from and to the computer was bad. I was lost at that point. I'm an analog guy and just want to put a carb on there and simplify my wiring. New question, will a C6 mate up to the existing torque converter or am I going to have to change that as well?

NotEnoughTrucks2014 12-18-2021 12:28 AM

Originally Posted by alanp561 (Post 20200454)
I have a '95 F 150, 351 Windsor, E40D trans, speed sensor located on top of rear axle. First the speedometer went haywire, jumping all over the place. Then the engine started stumbling while driving and trans would upshift or downshift depending on which way the wind was blowing. Truck would stall when I put it in reverse. Everything I read pointed to speed sensor so I replaced that. Driving down the road 10 minutes later and it all starts happening again. More reading tells me that something in the speedometer cluster is sending a screwed up signal to the trans. Found another cluster in a salvage yard and changed that. Now the truck runs bad just like before and neither the speedometer or tach work. My plan is to go with a an Edelbrock 1406 because I have one, Edelbrock 2181 manifold that I paid $125 for in the original box that looks like new, fuel line regulator using the existing tank pumps, and replacing the E40D with a C6. Do all C6's have mechanical speedometers and what do I use for kick down linkage? I figure I'm going to have to put mechanical gauges in there anyway so I might be able to replace the entire speedometer cluster with one I build to fit the hole in the dash. I have a new factory stock distributor. Can I use that and the stock CD box or do I need something else? I know there are a lot of questions here but I only want to do this one time..

There are so many pitfalls here that I just want to say don't do it! But of course, you likely won't listen. Best advice I could offer is if you want a perceptably simpler truck, buy an older truck, don't mess with what you have. If fixing it is beyond your skill set, move on to something else. You may not thank me now, but you will eventually.

Scndsin 12-18-2021 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by alanp561 (Post 20200951)
Bought an EBD II scanner, tried running the KOEO self test and got two codes. One told me the speed sensor was bad but I had just replaced it. The other had to do with the wiring from and to the computer was bad. I was lost at that point. I'm an analog guy and just want to put a carb on there and simplify my wiring. New question, will a C6 mate up to the existing torque converter or am I going to have to change that as well?

Don't know how quite to put this in any more blunt fashion, but carb conversion to simplify is equivalent to ripping out indoor plumbing & going out-house because the commode is clogged & tank valve runs all the time.

But where you want to put the privy, is on solid rock. You can dig the hole, but it's gonna' be tough.

The VSS you replaced rarely fails unless the tone ring in the rear eats into it or it gets buried in metal shavings. There is a socket up in the engine compartment you put a meter on to read AC, jack up rear, put in gear & read voltage.

You'd really do better starting a thread & letting the group talk you through finding out what's wrong & fixing that.

Good luck.

My guess is that you have leaking capacitors in the computer.

alanp561 12-18-2021 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014 (Post 20201205)
There are so many pitfalls here that I just want to say don't do it! But of course, you likely won't listen. Best advice I could offer is if you want a perceptably simpler truck, buy an older truck, don't mess with what you have. If fixing it is beyond your skill set, move on to something else. You may not thank me now, but you will eventually.

With respect to you for your well-intentioned comments, I have a 26 year old solid truck with 26 year old electrical components. Good running engine with a computer controlled transmission and a body that has no rust. I have access to parts to convert this into a usable vehicle and the skill set to do so. I paid very little ($3000) for this truck four years ago and it has served me well until the computer stuff started to go. It left me on the side of the road 120 miles from home with no way to repair it and the tow bill was ridiculous. It's current value as scrap is around $240, less than the tow bill. The Ford dealership wants $135 per hour to diagnose the problem and no one else around here wants to mess with it. I figure I'm going to spend much less than $1000 to convert it and I have a running truck again. Now, to a question I've already asked, will a C6 mate up to the existing torque converter or do I have to find another torque converter and flywheel?

alanp561 12-18-2021 09:17 AM

Thank you for your input but I really need the question of whether a C6 will mate up to the existing torque converter or do I need another torque converter and flywheel answered?

Scndsin 12-18-2021 10:23 AM

The flex plate on the 5.8 with E4 will accept a TC from a C6. Torque converter will be different.

After watching these conversations & conversions for a while, the success rate & costs expected rarely succeed over fixing what is wrong with the truck as is.

But folk will help regardless, again, good luck.

alanp561 12-18-2021 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Scndsin (Post 20201580)
The flex plate on the 5.8 with E4 will accept a TC from a C6. Torque converter will be different.

After watching these conversations & conversions for a while, the success rate & costs expected rarely succeed over fixing what is wrong with the truck as is.

But folk will help regardless, again, good luck.

Thank you for your reply.

My4Fordtrucks 12-18-2021 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by alanp561 (Post 20200951)

Im going to assume you used an OBD-I scanner to retrieve the codes or you bought an OBD-II that was compatible with the older system. If you didn’t erase the code(s) after replacing the sensor then they would still be in the stored in the computer. What is the code that you got for the wiring? Was it an active code or was it stored? Why would you put a different transmission in the truck and reuse the old converter? That is asking for trouble. They are different part numbers because a C6 doesn’t have a lockup converter which the e4od does. I do not know enough to say if it would work but I would not reuse the converter anyway.

You do realize in order to downgrade to a carburetor and 3 speed without overdrive you will also have to address the fuel system? Your ‘95 has a high pressure pump in each tank so you will have to get that ~50 psi down to 5 psi for the carburetor.

thechief66 12-18-2021 04:55 PM

He did mention a pressure regulator in his post from yesterday...

My4Fordtrucks 12-18-2021 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by thechief66 (Post 20202031)
He did mention a pressure regulator in his post from yesterday...

I have reread his posts and am not seeing what you read. Would you direct me to the post number?

Originally Posted by alanp561 (Post 20200454)
More reading tells me that something in the speedometer cluster is sending a screwed up signal to the trans. Found another cluster in a salvage yard and changed that. Now the truck runs bad just like before and neither the speedometer or tach work...

In your search for the possible cause of the erratic speedometer, did you come across which clusters are compatible? What did you use as a donor cluster There are differences in how they are wired and warning lamp configuration.
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.for...88c2bfb4a.jpeg

sandymane 12-18-2021 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=My4Fordtrucks;20202248]I have reread his posts and am not seeing what you read. Would you direct me to the post number?

Its in post 45