Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need help.... My truck is still chugging. It's got to stop or it's going up for sale. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/549307-need-help-my-truck-is-still-chugging-its-got-to-stop-or-its-going-up-for-sale.html)

Uzumati 12-09-2006 05:55 PM

G G I I C I I G G

G = Glow Plug
I = Injector +
C = Injector -

The GP's should Ohm between 0.1 and 2.0 Ohms. Ohm bteween "G" and the engine block.
The connector has a retainer on the top I have found that mashing the tab and useing a screwdriver to pry a corner up helps loosen them. If they havent been out in a while it will be a PITA.

spikebee 12-09-2006 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by spikebee
The four outside (large) pins are the glow plugs, the next two on each end are the injector coils the center pin is the return for all 4 injectors. In other words:

gp gp 1 2 r 3 4 gp gp

The glow plugs should have between .2 and 1.0 ohms resistance to ground, but it's a lot easier and more accurate to connect a test light to the + terminal of the battery and to each glow plug pin. The injectors should be less than 5 ohms (usually about .3 ohms)between each injector and the return (center) pin. I realize that the drivers side is actually 2 4 6 8, and the passengers side is actually 1 3 5 7, but I figured it would be easier to understand the way I labeled it.

I forgot to put in there that when checking the glow plugs, if the test light lights the plug is good, if it doesn't, the valve cover needs to come off.

Uzumati 12-09-2006 06:18 PM

Even if a test light lights there can still be issues under the valve cover. If GP resistance is 5 ohms it is bad but a light will still light, Also if the UVC harness is shorted to ground a light will still light but the resistance will be off.

spikebee 12-09-2006 06:34 PM

Ok, 99.99% <i>chance</i> that the glow plug is good (and even if the harness is shorted under the cover which very rarely happens it could read .1 to 2 ohms), but if the light doesn't light you def need to pull your valve cover.

John7894 12-09-2006 08:59 PM

Thanks guys. I'm used to working with a multimeter alot more than a test light anyway. I guess being an electronic tech will do that to ya.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow what I find. I'll head off to NAPA in the AM to get a new GPR. I'll try that first and see if it lights off any different.

spikebee 12-09-2006 10:47 PM

The reason I use a test light is that the most common problem is that a uvc harness connector is loose. A test light will tell you if you have a loose connection that opens under a load, whereas a high impedance dvom will just give you a resistance reading, which still could be within specs.

John7894 12-10-2006 12:07 PM

All of the injectors on the driver's side ohmed 4.1 and the glow plugs ohmed .4

Still need to pull the pass side apart and check it. Now that I know how to take the plug out I should be able to do it without disassembling anything.

Is it OK to put some dielectric grease on the UVC plug? The pins were clean, but I'd prefer some insurance in there if possible.

The intake tube was broken between the turbo and CCV. I need to find one of those now.......... I might as well do the CCV mod now too.......

John7894 12-10-2006 02:20 PM

All of the pass side injectors ohmed around 6.0 and the glow plugs ohmed around .6

All looks OK. I guess it's just the GPR being bad that's causing it. I have NEVER had any white smoke at all. That's why I assumed the GPR was working fine.

What's the P/N for the GPR from NAPA. Is it the GPR 109? I just called NAPA and they told me something like $200 plus dollars for it. Their website shows some kind of module looking thing........

jlande 12-10-2006 03:27 PM

Yes - GPR109, should be around $25.

John7894 12-12-2006 04:09 PM

Anyone have the part number for the valve cover gaskets and harness underneath?

The local IH dealer becomes lost when I tell him it's for my PSD......

I did manage to dig this part number up for a gasket.

1831345C91, Joint. I also found this for a gasket as well, 1818350C2, gasket and the for the harness 1815923C92, harness

Let me know if this is right.

Uzumati 12-12-2006 06:10 PM

John keep this handy some of the numbers are kinda old but most are still good
http://www.thedwilsons.com/powerstro...t_Numbers.html

John7894 12-12-2006 10:57 PM

Alan, That link is awesome. Very helpful. Now here's the latest.

I pulled both valve covers tonight and found the UVC plugs backed out slightly. Not crooked or really loose just slid all the way back against the stop. The driver's was dry on the inside, the pass side had some oil inside. One of the clips broke so tomorrow I'm picking up 2 new gaskets and harnesses and will reassemble it tomorrow night.

I have some questions though. I found some oil inside the injector plugs as well. Is this normal, or will it cause problems?

Also, for having 250K on the ticker it was clean as a whistle inside there. No sludge, etc...

Ready for the kicker???????????? I have a long lead injector installed in the driver's side rear cylinder. Any idea on that one? All other 7 injectors have the same part number except this one has a different number and also has a big LL on it as well.

So, I'm hoping this solves my chugging issues. I'm almost certain it will. The GPR will only help it too. But here's another question.

I'm still concerned that my truck is louder and a little rougher running than my dad's and friends. The hutch mods are next, so after that if my loudness and roughness still exist I guess it's time for some injectors?

My fuel mileage is down also compared to these other 2 trucks. My Dad consistently gets at least 450 miles before he fills up with 25-26 gallons. My friend does as well. I know my truck has a problem because my friend and I carpool. We rotate weeks of driving and it's a little over 100 miles roundtrip each day. I always fuel up earlier in the week than he does.

I appreciate your help as well as everyone else who has helped me with this problem. I'll post the results tomorrow night or the day after. Hopefully after this is done there will be another good cold snap roll through so I can put this to the test.

Tenn01PSD350 12-12-2006 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by John7894
I pulled both valve covers tonight and found the UVC plugs backed out slightly. Not crooked or really loose just slid all the way back against the stop. The driver's was dry on the inside, the pass side had some oil inside. One of the clips broke so tomorrow I'm picking up 2 new gaskets and harnesses and will reassemble it tomorrow night.

I have some questions though. I found some oil inside the injector plugs as well. Is this normal, or will it cause problems?

Also, for having 250K on the ticker it was clean as a whistle inside there. No sludge, etc...

Ready for the kicker???????????? I have a long lead injector installed in the driver's side rear cylinder. Any idea on that one? All other 7 injectors have the same part number except this one has a different number and also has a big LL on it as well.

I'm still concerned that my truck is louder and a little rougher running than my dad's and friends. The hutch mods are next, so after that if my loudness and roughness still exist I guess it's time for some injectors?

John, IIRC the #8 has a LL injector in our trucks due to the dead end fuel system IOT quiet the hammering there.

Should not be any sludge if properly cared for, up top, they drain well.

Oil is not the best conductor in a connector.

Make sure the new UVC harness connectors come with the TSB related improved locking clips, or better possibly yet, just get the clips and clean your plugs. This assumes your harness tests out. That plug backing out will kill your mileage and can chug chug the engine.

250k may be getting towards the end of the injector lifecyce depending on the maintenance of the truck, nonetheless, you still have to check everything else out or new ones will not cure the ailment.

John7894 12-13-2006 09:58 AM

Tenn,

I thought the pass front was supposed to have the LL injector? Mine is in the driver's rear.

What I don't like is the new inside harness has no rubber seal on in like the harness on the outside does. All I can do is pump it full of dielectric grease when I assemble it. Do you think the oil could've been some of my problems?

I had to order the parts from the IH dealer. He had one harness in stock. I'm going to change the harnesses and gaskets just to be sure. They were pretty loose to begin with.

I need to call Ford today and get the clips.

bloomy63 12-13-2006 10:50 AM

before you install the clips, check out this thread:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...ner-clips.html

i'm sure kwik will keep us updated on what he finds out about the retaining clips.