Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum168/)
-   -   Biodiesel Roll Call (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/754977-biodiesel-roll-call.html)

dyoungen 05-04-2010 11:00 AM

I used to make Bio back in 2000/2002 but quit and went with SVO. Never regreted a thing. I think everybody that is thinking of going either Bio or SVO should start with BIO and decide themselves. Running a Ford F250 6.9 n/a Diesel right now.

CHELLIE 07-04-2010 01:54 AM

At work, we were using Bio Diesel in big rigs, Cat and Cummins engines, and we had all kinds of problems with it, mostly, clogged fuel filters, the bio diesel uses KOH, LYE
90+% Pure Potassium Hydroxide (koh) and Sulfuric Acid, the lye and sulfuric acid really cleans the fuel system out :eek: and puts all the Crapola into the fuel filters, I hate to think what the Lye and sulfuric Acid is doing to the Injectors and Fuel pump, we did not use it for very long, Just a Heads up when using Bio Diesel, Take Care, Chellie

(Concentrated Sulfuric Acid)
(May be used for many different manufacturing processes, removing FFAs from dirty vegetable oil before producing bio-diesel, and lab experiments.)

45 # Potassium Hydroxide Red Hot Devil Potash Biodiesel - eBay (item 260418423897 end time Jul-21-10 16:24:08 PDT)

Concentrated Sulfuric Acid for Biodiesel 950 ml - eBay (item 230408290194 end time Aug-02-10 09:15:24 PDT)

CHELLIE 07-04-2010 02:00 AM

I think it would be safer to use Waste oil, and filter it very well, remember those Frantz toilet paper filters, those work great, i saw a demo at a fair with those filters, and dirty oil was added to clean oil that was circulating in a clear container and to a toilet paper filter, the oil got dirty, and then in about 5 mins, it was amber clear again, Wow, thats clean :)

http://www.frantzoil.com/TOILETPAPER.html

VINTAGE HOT RAT ROD FRANTZ TOILET PAPER OIL FILTER : eBay Motors (item 200490175514 end time Jul-07-10 22:08:10 PDT)

CHELLIE 07-04-2010 02:19 AM

WOW, Look what I found, this is nice because you dont have to use LYE or Sulfuric acid to clean the veggie oil. Gravity does the cleaning work for you. This is how I would make bio diesel :-X22

YouTube - Waste Vegetable Oil Filter How-To

fabmandelux 07-04-2010 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 9071345)
At work, we were using Bio Diesel in big rigs, Cat and Cummins engines, and we had all kinds of problems with it, mostly, clogged fuel filters, the bio diesel uses KOH, LYE
90+% Pure Potassium Hydroxide (koh) and Sulfuric Acid, the lye and sulfuric acid really cleans the fuel system out :eek: and puts all the Crapola into the fuel filters, I hate to think what the Lye and sulfuric Acid is doing to the Injectors and Fuel pump, we did not use it for very long, Just a Heads up when using Bio Diesel, Take Care, Chellie

Total and complete misinformation! There is NO Lye or Sulfuric acid in well made biodiesel. Will it clean all the crap out of the fuel system? You bet!

Will it harm the IP or the injectors? If it meets ASTM specs, never!

I've made almost 15,000 gallons of QUALITY biodiesel in the last 6 years with not one fuel related problem. We run our whole farm on biodiesel and have for the last 6 years!

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 9071368)
WOW, Look what I found, this is nice because you dont have to use LYE or Sulfuric acid to clean the veggie oil. Gravity does the cleaning work for you. This is how I would make bio diesel :-X22

Sorry, this is NOT BIODIESEL! It is simply one way to filter WVO.

zhilton 07-04-2010 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 9071873)
Total and complete misinformation! There is NO Lye or Sulfuric acid in well made biodiesel. Will it clean all the crap out of the fuel system? You bet!

Isn't that why we have fuel filters? To catch the crap before it gets to the pump/injectors? Yeah, on the 6.0L & 6.4L they're expensive...but they're allot cheaper than a single injector. I've run B20 quite a bit and never had a problem out of my truck. I'd run it right now but (A) there is only one place in town that sells it and (B) I'm not going to pay an extra 20 cents a gallon for it. The lady that owns the station is rude and thinks that everyone that comes in there is stupid when it comes to B20. I keep telling myself I'm going to call the folks that supply her fuel and find out if I can buy straight from them...but other things side track me.:-banghead

CHELLIE 07-04-2010 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by fabmandelux (Post 9071873)

Will it harm the IP or the injectors? If it meets ASTM specs, never!

I've made almost 15,000 gallons of QUALITY biodiesel in the last 6 years with not one fuel related problem. We run our whole farm on biodiesel and have for the last 6 years!

Sorry, this is NOT BIODIESEL! It is simply one way to filter WVO.

It all depends who your supplier is :) We had nothing but trouble with Bio Diesel, had to call the fuel supplier many times to figure out what is wrong with the fuel, You dont Know fabmandelux, You were not There :-missingt

CHELLIE 07-04-2010 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by zhilton (Post 9071993)
Isn't that why we have fuel filters? To catch the crap before it gets to the pump/injectors? Yeah, on the 6.0L & 6.4L they're expensive...but they're allot cheaper than a single injector. I've run B20 quite a bit and never had a problem out of my truck. I'd run it right now but (A) there is only one place in town that sells it and (B) I'm not going to pay an extra 20 cents a gallon for it. The lady that owns the station is rude and thinks that everyone that comes in there is stupid when it comes to B20. I keep telling myself I'm going to call the folks that supply her fuel and find out if I can buy straight from them...but other things side track me.:-banghead

sulfuric acid and lye diluted will go right through a filter in a liquid state.

CHELLIE 07-04-2010 04:02 PM

Sorry, this is NOT BIODIESEL! It is simply one way to filter WVO

correct, its a way to clean the veg oil, before use.

monsterbaby 07-04-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CHELLIE (Post 9072910)
It all depends who your supplier is :) We had nothing but trouble with Bio Diesel, had to call the fuel supplier many times to figure out what is wrong with the fuel, You dont Know fabmandelux, You were not There :-missingt

Don't ahve to be there, you got information from either A. a supplier of the conversion kits for running WVO or someone that doesn't have a clue whatsoever about what they are talking about.

Do you know what the PH level of Biodiesel is?

Do you have a clue that it's not bio-diesel if it still has KOH or lye still in it?

What you had was what happens when you introduce a cleaning agent into dirty fuel systems IT CLEANS IT OUT. You then were given bad information from someone that doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

When I switched ot bio I had to change my fuel filter twice in 3000 miles since then I cahnge it once a year just because. My fuel system is now clean. I have been running 100% bio-diesel during warmer months for 5yrs now and have not had a single fuel related problem with my truck since. only actualy problems with my truck just os you know I am not hiding problems calling it non fuel related are, replaced ball joints, new brakes, replaced a brake caliper, new tires, lock out hub came apart, and an axle ujoint.

If you have are using bio-diesel that still has lye or KOH or sulfuric acid in it you have a supplier that is A. ripping you off by not actually doing a good job B. doesn't know what they are doing C. doesn't like you and is trying to destroy your equipment. Properly made bio-diesel is non toxic meaning you could drink it. Tastes terrible etc but it won't hurt you. anything else isn't made right. (I don't use any sulfuric acid, that is for doing 2 stage stuff like making it out of animal fats)

Joddy Moore 08-01-2010 09:15 AM

We are just now opening a biodiesel plant in La Grange Texas. We just passed all our IRS ASTM test. We have in house lab and will be selling to the public soon now we have 40,000 gallons on hand.

zhilton 08-01-2010 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Joddy Moore (Post 9171174)
We are just now opening a biodiesel plant in La Grange Texas. We just passed all our IRS ASTM test. We have in house lab and will be selling to the public soon now we have 40,000 gallons on hand.

Congratulations...how far out are you going to distribute?

Joddy Moore 08-02-2010 12:52 PM

To begin with we will only be selling to drive up customers and transport loads we have a 3,000 gallon bobtail but it needs a lot of work before we can put it back on the road. I guess the distant will depend on the volume delivering. I will try to keep checking back on this sight to keep you updated.

Hitokori 01-06-2011 10:37 AM

how bout a bump since its been dead for a few months :)

Joddy Moore 01-06-2011 11:19 AM

Bio Diesel In La Grange Texas

Here is an up date on the plant. We are having a hard time finding feed stock and a good price.
Our plant has all applicable fuel and air permits, we are a producing member of the National Bio Diesel Board; we are registered with the IRS, EPA, TCEQ and are also EPA-RFS2 Registered.
Our customers to date are large distributers in Houston, TX, Louisiana and we deliver to local customers around Fayette County. We also have had small 200 to 500 gallon customers come from as far away as Austin, TX. to pickup our fuel. We were just awarded the Bio Diesel fuel contract for Fayette County for 2011. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Sullid01 02-04-2011 03:10 PM

I buy retail biodiesel. Would love to make it, but don't have the waste oil, time, space, patience, know-how, etc

Nearby there is a company trying to make biodiesel from algae - they are called PetroAlgae. Apparently they can make gas from it too. Right now they are trying to figure out how to make it affordable.

rosesrfree4u 02-06-2011 09:34 PM

I have a custom wvo conversion. This vehicle is my fourth conversion. I'd rather be running biodiesel, but there is none available within 200 miles. I'd consider making my own but I don't have a space to set up a processor. I wish there was a biodiesel co-op in the area.

Scratcher 02-17-2011 07:59 PM

I just converted to 5% bio from CountryMark - Diesel Fuel, Biodiesel, Gasoline & Lubricant Products for Agriculture, Fleet & Commercial Vehicles - Serving Indiana (and parts of Ohio, Michigan & Illinois). Their oil is drilled and refined from US wells.

muns53 03-07-2011 11:42 PM

I have been burning WVO for about ~40K miles with a modified Vegistroke V3 system in my '02 Excursion. I'm new to this site, just surfing around a bit to get acquainted with the content.

drewdole 03-31-2011 02:04 PM

i d buy bio diesel if it was for sale, diesel and biodiesel r the way of the future along with propane fueled cars as forklifts r propane

Major Marvin 04-08-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rushmore X (Post 7835028)
off topic but I always though the receipe for Carp was bake it in the oven for 1 hr at 350 on a piece of cardboard, remove Carp, and eat the Cardboard...

Caught carp with used bubble gum in the past...
:-X03

BigDiesel2011 04-27-2011 04:47 PM

We are just now opening a biodiesel plant in La Grange Texas. We just passed all our IRS ASTM test. We have in house lab and will be selling to the public soon now we have 40,000 gallons on hand.[/quote]

How far are you from katy tx?

Y2K1TON 05-15-2011 02:48 PM

Found B99 in Ft WorthTX

I found (TX Bio Tech) in Ft Worth. They sell B99 cash or credit. Cash is 3 cents a gal cheaper. Been very pleased with it so far. You can buy in large loads too. The fellow that fueled after me was getting 600 gallons. I bought at $3.36 a gal 3 weeks ago. I run a bone stock 7.3 super duty.
I am in no way affiliated with their business, just sharring the info. TX Biotech does not advertise but they are on the web and do answer the phone every time I called.

Y2K1TON 05-27-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K1TON (Post 10344397)
I found (TX Bio Tech) in Ft Worth. They sell B99 cash or credit. Cash is 3 cents a gal cheaper. Been very pleased with it so far. You can buy in large loads too. The fellow that fueled after me was getting 600 gallons. I bought at $3.36 a gal 3 weeks ago. I run a bone stock 7.3 super duty.
I am in no way affiliated with their business, just sharring the info. TX Biotech does not advertise but they are on the web and do answer the phone every time I called.

Today 27 May, I just paid $3.15 a gallon at TX Biotech. Still lovin this stuff.

Major Marvin 05-27-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K1TON (Post 10394720)

Not a chance of that price in Santa Fe, NM. Dino is cheaper than Bio. I payed $4.12 for dino today and B20 was selling for $4.35.

I'm thinking about a WVO conversion.

WillF250 06-02-2011 11:18 AM

Just got my '93 F250. Already has a Biodiesel kit with tank in the bed. Previous owner didnt use it though. I think it uses B20, but not entirely sure, need to find that out haha.

binuya 06-02-2011 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by WillF250 (Post 10414367)
Just got my '93 F250. Already has a Biodiesel kit with tank in the bed. Previous owner didnt use it though. I think it uses B20, but not entirely sure, need to find that out haha.

What type of kit are you referring to? Your truck will run on anything from B20-B100 as long as you replace fuel hoses and certain seals with Viton components. Biodiesel will eventually break down rubber.

LandcruiserFJ40 11-06-2011 02:05 PM

I just registered today, yesterday I bought a '98 E350 Club Wagon with the 7.3 Powerstroke. It has a veggie oil conversion and seems to run strong. I am going to do my first oil change today so I figured I'd lurk here a bit and read up before I start working on the truck. I just got back from Autozone and picked up 2 gallons of Castrol 15-40, a gallon of Lucas Oil Stabilizer, and a Mobile 1- 99% efficiency filter. Yesterday the previous owner gave me a day long lesson in refining(?) filtering the oil and how to change the filter for that part of the fuel system. I drove it 150 miles yesterday on ~10 gallons of free veggie oil. It ran great, even over the mountain pass. It's an awesome rig. Rides like a Cadillac compared to my Cruiser. xD

Major Marvin 11-06-2011 10:26 PM

Does anyone know if there is any biodiesel for sale around Palm Beach county Florida? Thanks :-wink

ATV PRO #11 02-19-2012 10:27 AM

Spent 3 years building a plant in MB here for investors. Another 8 months commisioning and after all that work PASSED ASTM DS6751 in 2011. Have learnt alot from Mr.Clements and the coarse I took in Ames. Mostly from the trials and tribulations throughout the commisioning phase. I was making 6000L a day in approx 12 hours. But that came to an abrupt end when the counter current wash skid couldn't keep up. (well it could, but the "Educated" personal in charge of it couldn't) lol. Needless to say I enjoyed it while working there, learned alot too!!

emsbull 02-28-2012 11:27 AM

I purchase Bio for my equipment and run it straight. I don't know enough to know if I can run it in my 2005 6.0. My equipment run great on it and I really like the smell of a fryer when I'm running the tractors.

Does anyone use it in their 6.0?

ATV PRO #11 02-28-2012 11:51 AM

Here in Manitoba Canada we have 5% blend in all the pumps here. So it's used in everything diesel. Even 50% blend in one of the bio plant investors 6.0.

Y2K1TON 04-01-2012 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K1TON (Post 10394720)

1 Apr 12 and my last purchase wash $3.35 a gallon at Texas BioTech. They are expanding and will soon be able to process used veg oil. Currently they only use virgin soy oil that is transported from out of state. They said after the new processer is on line they hope to drop the price even more! I fill my truck and 55 gal drum every trip. Really nice folks to deal with. I haven't had any fuel related problems yet with their fuel and used it for over 10,000 miles.

Lin19687 04-11-2012 08:31 AM

I am making my own Bio to add to regular Diesel. I have an '06 F-350 and it has all interior components ok'd for straight Bio if I want

Rushmore X 04-11-2012 04:53 PM

I need to find another source of oil, I'm going through withdrawl....

ATV PRO #11 04-11-2012 06:17 PM

I miss playing with bio at the plant. I did, however, use it to break a big rusted nut the other day. I dont miss having it on my hands throught the day every day.

Rushmore X 04-12-2012 09:26 AM

My wife doesn't miss the smell either. I kind of liked it...

ChuckNasty 04-23-2012 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K1TON (Post 11655514)
1 Apr 12 and my last purchase wash $3.35 a gallon at Texas BioTech. They are expanding and will soon be able to process used veg oil. Currently they only use virgin soy oil that is transported from out of state. They said after the new processer is on line they hope to drop the price even more! I fill my truck and 55 gal drum every trip. Really nice folks to deal with. I haven't had any fuel related problems yet with their fuel and used it for over 10,000 miles.

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I read this today, and trotted down there for 10gal of $3.35/g fuel! Gonna run 50/50 for the first few tanks, and then hopefully start stocking up drums so I only have to drive out there once a month. Really friendly staff, at least that was my first impression.

Thanks again!

rooster 07 F250 08-09-2012 11:30 AM

New To Bio

Hey Whoever can help,
Got me a slightly used 07 F250 and would really like to start making my own Bio Diesel. Any one got tips on where to start?
I have been reading forums and looking on Google but Zero appliication experience.:-X04

binuya 08-09-2012 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by rooster 07 F250 (Post 12148721)
Hey Whoever can help,
Got me a slightly used 07 F250 and would really like to start making my own Bio Diesel. Any one got tips on where to start?
I have been reading forums and looking on Google but Zero appliication experience.:-X04

First things first. Where will you be getting your waste vegetable oil, and how much will the source provide you each month? Do you have a method to facilitate the restaurants disposal of the oil, and a means to pick it up and store it?

Once you get that sorted out, here is a place with all the information you will need to get started:How to Make Biodiesel at Home