Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   EFI to CARB conversion help (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/898343-efi-to-carb-conversion-help.html)

quadracer173 11-01-2009 10:42 AM

i think ill get that msd ignition and the msd 6al box and the regualar coil not the blaster 2 cant find it and ill go wiith the summit racing carb and manifold kit 750cfm

Bignick_92 12-13-2009 01:46 AM

Its a 333 stroker motor but i have a 302 carb.. thats has idk about 350 horses with just some aussie heads and edelbrock intake manifold stuff like that that im considering just because of gas because i drive this truck every day to school, work, etc so what do i need to convert it over to carb?

Bignick_92 12-13-2009 09:17 AM

ok so the motor is a 333 stroker has just a little work done to it like aussie heads edelbrock intake,etc nothing major but i also have a plain jane 302 with just some aussie heads and eagle piston (i think) with about 300 and something horses so do u think that will do good on a conversion because my 5.0 is just a piece oil leaks all the time now about every week or so something else is wrong with it like distributor caps, the starter, the alternator, battery is dead, U joints, brakes, it just is costing alot out of my pocket so please help me out on this i really need it

zxwut? 03-16-2010 05:15 PM

If you get in touch with Edelbrock, they can let you know what they recommend for their package. Any updates on this?

SCRebel 06-03-2011 11:05 AM

I say get a HEI distributor. They can be found a broncograveyard.com. All you have to do is hook up one wire, the the brain box for electronic ignition and coil is built into the distributor. Looks very nice cause it cleans up the motor.

SCRebel 06-03-2011 11:08 AM

I would go with a HEI distributor frme broncoraveyard.com. They clean up the engine bay, and still give you high performance electronic ignition.

1992ford302 06-03-2011 11:37 AM

i would get the msd 6a box with simple 2 prong plug in dizzy and you can bypass alot of wiring....

Zbrown 02-28-2019 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by agfordman (Post 8095232)
ya that is true. is there something wrong with your efi, because by the time you get everthing for your carb swap it would be better just to fix your efi, and also what trans do you have?

yes the i's something wrong with my efi I've changed iignition system and still no fire that's why I'm wanting to change to carburetor

jackietreehorn 03-01-2019 06:58 AM

I recommend using Ford's duraspark ignition. You can keep your original coil, plugs, wires, and cap. All you need is a duraspark distributor (1983 5.8) and module. which can be had for less than $100.

You can make your own wire harness or grab one off a pre-1986 truck, car or random 1975-1991 ford, AMC, or Jeep product. It is HEI and basically plug n play. Looks stock if you do it right as some heavy duty Fords up until 89 or so came with this from the Factory.

NotEnoughTrucks2014 03-01-2019 09:23 AM

Must be some time travelling going on here!

My4Fordtrucks 03-02-2019 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by NotEnoughTrucks2014 (Post 18512901)
Must be some time travelling going on here!

While the aftermarket is bringing more carb to EFI conversion kits to the market, guys on this forum for some unknown reason want to take fuel injection off their trucks. :-huh

MPP8405 03-02-2019 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks (Post 18514669)

While the aftermarket is bringing more carb to EFI conversion kits to the market, guys on this forum for some unknown reason want to take fuel injection off their trucks. :-huh

Yeah same here, Like the idea of EFI for so many reasons, Sure carbs are fun but when I want to jump in the truck and go EFI is no brainer. Will be going with edelbrock's pro flo 4 EFI in spring almost everything is in the box as well (minus your coil and fuel system ie pump hoses ans regulator but still alot more complete then most of the setups like FITECH and Holley's Sniper EFI which is basically an electronic carb.)

jackietreehorn 03-02-2019 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks (Post 18514669)

Yeah I feel the same way, but I understand some people don't have the money or tools/equipment and knowledge to fool around with kaput EFI system. It's just easier for them to revert these 1960's design engines to carburetor. For a show queen or daily driver? --No way, but honestly not a bad option for a clapped-out farm truck.

westcoasting 03-02-2019 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by jackietreehorn (Post 18515904)
Yeah I feel the same way, but I understand some people don't have the money or tools/equipment and knowledge to fool around with kaput EFI system. It's just easier for them to revert these 1960's design engines to carburetor. For a show queen or daily driver? --No way, but honestly not a bad option for a clapped-out farm truck.

Well i own a 96 and a 86... one with efi and of course the other with a carb. What are the issues with having a carb motor?

My4Fordtrucks 03-03-2019 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by westcoasting (Post 18516124)
Well i own a 96 and a 86... one with efi and of course the other with a carb. What are the issues with having a carb motor?

How would we know that the ‘86 had a carburetor unless you said it does? Several if not most engines in the car/truck lineup were fuel injected by then.

You can can fiddle with a carb and get them to run very good but it will still need periodic rebuilds and maintenance. How much time do you spend on your ‘96 working on get size, idle mixture and choke adjustments? Sequential fuel injection is much more precise than a carb could ever hope to be. I have carbureted vechicles but they are not my daily driver.

To Zbrown that brought this thread back from the dead,
What testing have you done? Did you just throw ignition parts at it? Are there any fault codes stored or active?