Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum28/)
-   -   What have you done to your truck today? (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/730516-what-have-you-done-to-your-truck-today.html)

Jarryd 12-10-2013 11:14 PM

It was probably a bit easier to find 8 lug ones. Finding 5x5.5 wheels is a bit difficult.

BigBlockF350 12-10-2013 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jarryd (Post 13830812)
It was probably a bit easier to find 8 lug ones. Finding 5x5.5 wheels is a bit difficult.

Possibly. In my area there are usually a lot of different types of wheels for sale. 5x5.5's are not hard to come by where I am.

Good luck looking for some if that's your plan!

Jarryd 12-10-2013 11:22 PM

I'm looking but come Saturday, the new tires will be mounted one way or the other.

SideWinder4.9l 12-11-2013 12:00 AM

Finally got a chance to knock out a project I have been DREADING:

Replacing the Bushings in my Pedal Assembly.

Went to a friend's house at 4pm and started the teardown. Everything went as smooth as butter and not one hiccup.

Pulled the assembly out and the bushing on the far right was TOAST. Literally was almost cut in half.

Pulled the cross shaft that holds the bushings in place, out and found that the holes in both sides of the assembly "Box" was also toast. So my friend broke out the MIG welder and built the egg shaped holes back into actual circles.

To get it how I wanted, he would grind everything down, stick the bushing in, mark where the dips were in the hole, and add metal.

6:30pm we were cleaning up.

Total cost was $31.72 from LMC Truck for the Bushing Kit and the shipping.

__________________________________________________ __________

Now that I have a pedal assembly that is correct, it has ZERO slop in it when shifting, taking off, etc.

Also noted a BIG change in where the clutch engages/disengages from the floor up.

Previously, it would engage about 2" from the floor; And now it's closer to 6" and only 2-3" from the main end of the pedal travel (Pedal pushing out to normal position)

Definantly gonna take a while to get used to again; But at least it is working PERFECTLY now! :-jamming

Next project will be Axle Pivot Bushings. I have the bushing kit, but no place to jack the truck up; Or a Ball Joint Press kit.

But Michelle is definantly getting her groove back!

Jigger2020 12-11-2013 06:03 AM

Sounds good Wes, well done there...

blue924.9 12-11-2013 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais (Post 13824607)
If the buyer is aware of the 6.0 issues before buying, there's no need to shy away, as long as bulletproofing is accounted for in the purchase price. I've actually seen a few that have already had head studs and new gaskets installed still going pretty cheap.

far as i know its all stock:'(, but i know there a good motor once worked on a little bit

Bob Gervais 12-11-2013 09:15 AM

From what I've read it's a hit or miss situation with the 6.0. Some owners have reported problems with low mileage, some have 300k miles without major issues. Roll of the dice, I guess.

Gerry, you have a 6.0, how has yours held up? Anything mechanical done to it?

BigBlockF350 12-11-2013 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Gervais (Post 13831584)
From what I've read it's a hit or miss situation with the 6.0. Some owners have reported problems with low mileage, some have 300k miles without major issues. Roll of the dice, I guess.

Yeah, the 6.0 can be unpredictable. I too have heard of both kinda of cases. Some people say you have to work them hard, but I've seen them worked hard in fleet usage and still have major issues. Even issues that destroyed the block. I know of one that's on it's 3rd engine and the rest of the truck has 41x,xxx miles on it.

Redneckfordf2502002 12-11-2013 01:44 PM

Gerry, you have a 6.0, how has yours held up? Anything mechanical done to it?

[quote=BigBlockF350;13832219]

QUOTE]

Yeah, the 6.0 can be unpredictable. I too have heard of both kinda of cases. Some people say you have to work them hard, but I've seen them worked hard in fleet usage and still have major issues. Even issues that destroyed the block. I know of one that's on it's 3rd engine and the rest of the truck has 41x,xxx miles on it.

Agreed the 6.0L is unpredictable. I know a guy whom never worked his truck that hard only pulls a fifth wheel once in a while and uses it as a daily driver. He has 240K miles no problems and no mods done to it. Some people I have heard said try and get the 05-07s more of as they were a little better but I don't know if this is true.
Bob I don't think Gigger has had any problems with his 06 and he has had it since new but he has done quite a few mods to it and has low mileage. He may have had problems with it just I have never heard of any.
Also Bob judging by how into it you are about possibly getting one you should check out the super duty or 6.0L part of the forum I bet they can give you hard evidence being they own them plus they are nice over in the super duty part (not sure in the 6.0L haven't been there but I wouldn't doubt they are).
Trav

Jaime74656 12-11-2013 02:14 PM

well I dented the bumper and almost got ran over, think it may be a case of False park, as the truck was in full park with the ebreak set and she rolled into the corner of the house and took a bit of the garage door out, other then that not a lot...oh almost got ranover and killed by the truck...and shes starting to burn oil...

Bob Gervais 12-11-2013 03:44 PM

[QUOTE=Redneckfordf2502002;13832486]

Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 (Post 13832219)

Also Bob judging by how into it you are about possibly getting one you should check out the super duty or 6.0L part of the forum I bet they can give you hard evidence being they own them plus they are nice over in the super duty part (not sure in the 6.0L haven't been there but I wouldn't doubt they are).
Trav

I do actually read the super duty forum a couple times a week, never posted, but they are a great bunch of guys. I got to see Miles' white CC at a dyno day up in MA at Minuteman truck (Wade's place of business), last month. Man, what a beautiful truck that is!

I've read a lot in the 6.0 forum here too, and also on a couple of diesel sites, just to get information and opinions. At some point, I will take the plunge into a 6.0, when the right truck at the right price at the right time appears. :)

Jarryd 12-11-2013 06:05 PM

One of my tires came in today. hopefully the rest come in tomorrow. I held one up to my old ones and it looks like they're about an inch taller than the old ones.maybe due to the worn out tread.

Puddy 12-11-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jarryd (Post 13830812)

Took me a very long time to find mine for the 92...
I can relate...

Jarryd 12-11-2013 07:30 PM

I've pretty well given up. I can't wait to get the new tires on though.

Midnite1987 12-11-2013 08:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then I must have lucked out when I found my wheels for $80 painted them and got the 33's for free lol