Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php)
-   1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum31/)
-   -   Need help.... My truck is still chugging. It's got to stop or it's going up for sale. (https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/549307-need-help-my-truck-is-still-chugging-its-got-to-stop-or-its-going-up-for-sale.html)

mech2161 01-08-2007 12:02 PM

Yes it's the one in the filter housing.

John7894 01-08-2007 01:10 PM

Why does this page show one listed as going in the air filter and another in the charge air manifold?

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...01&catalogid=1

bloomy63 01-08-2007 05:25 PM

there is two intake air temp sensors. One is by the air filter, one is at the y pipe

Uzumati 01-08-2007 06:27 PM

John sending you the IAT and MAT pinpoints

IAT in Filter housing
MAT in intake manifold

John7894 01-08-2007 09:02 PM

Thanks Alan, I got it. Everything looks fine except the MAT. No codes on he drive to work and back, and I drove it hard too.....

Looks like the chip was either corrupt or that's just how BD Diesel did their programming on it. Anyway, it's out now and the truck doesn't feel that much different.

Is there any way to tell if the coolnt temp and oil temp sensors are working like they should? The Predator doesn't show anything for them. I called Diablosport today and they said the Predator should show everything the PCM reads, but it doesn't show the oil or water temp.

The MAT sensor looks to be working, it just reads wrong. The lowest I've seen it go is 120*C and the highest is 148*C. I need to pull it and check it out now that I know where it is.

Since the chip is out I left the truck in the street tonight for the cold weather. I'll make sure it's not the chip causing this chug. I've taken the chip out before when it was chugging, but never had a way to clear the codes at the same time. Not sure if that'll make a difference?

Alan, did it get cold up there by you yet?

John7894 01-09-2007 09:08 AM

Guys,

I feel as though I let you guys down. Apprently it seems as though the chugging was caused by the chip.

I removed the chip Sunday night, drove it to work and back yesterday. Truck drove great, no codes. I drove the snot out of it too.... Never threw any codes at all.... I purposely left it unplugged last night in the street so it would get cold. It was 45* at 6:15 this AM when I cranked it up. It started and idled FINE........ I think I woke the neighbors I screamed so loud....

So, the chip was the problem all along it seems. I've pulled the chip several times in the past, BUT have never had a way to clear the codes until recently. SO, my question is, will pulling the chip and not clearing the codes cause the problem to still be there. OR, did I make th PCM relearn itself by clearing the codes and driving for a full day without the chip?

In the past the chip was pulled, the truck restarted and it still chugged, so I thought the problem WAS NOT the chip, etc...

But, I still have problems. It did not high idle this AM and the power seemed a little low right off the bat. Once boost built it took off, so something small is still wrong.

I appreciate you guys sticking around the last few months and helping me with this. I've got to pick up a new MAT sensor and install it and also find a way to monitor the coolant temp and the oil temp. I talked to Diablosport again today and they told me that the PCM has no reason to monitor oil temp and that the coolant temp should be in there somewhere. I can't the coolant temp parameter to save my life.... Oil temp would be a great help if it was there.

So, can someone tell me exactly why oil temp is used by the PCM? I'd like to submit it to Diablosport so they could maybe include it in their later releases of programming diagnostics.....

Also, what other options are out there for dignostics and code pulling/clearing? I'd maybe get that equipment if it does more and isn't too expensive.....

Tenn01PSD350 01-09-2007 11:52 AM

Here you go John. This ought to give them something.

The Engine Oil Temperature sensor is a thermistor mounted to the oil reservoir whose resistance decreases as engine oil temperature increases. The Engine Oil Temperature signal is used by the PCM to calculate fuel quantity, injection timing, glow plug operation and exhaust back-pressure.

At low ambient air temperatures, and oil temperature below 50°C (122°F), low idle is increased to a maximum of 1300 rpm to increase engine warm-up. Fuel quantity and timing is controlled throughout the total operating range to provide adequate torque and power.

An Engine Oil Temperature signal detected out of range, high or low, by the PCM will cause the PCM to assume an engine oil temperature of 20°C (68°F) for starting purposes and 100°C (212°F) for operating purposes. The Malfunction Indicator Lamp in the instrument cluster will be illuminated as long as the fault condition exists

John7894 01-09-2007 12:39 PM

Thanks Tenn,

Do you have a tech description of the coolant temp sensor as well?

John7894 01-09-2007 12:55 PM

This question is for Kwik and anyone else running a Diablosport Predator.

Have you been able to find a parameter in it for the Engine Oil Temp and the Engine Coolant Temp?

In trying to sort this out I've come to the conclusion that a bad sensor will not always trip the SES or store a code. Right now the MAT is pegged at 130* and it will not move. It's got to be bad, but will not trip the light since it's still in it's good range. Diablosport claims that the 130*C should be 130*F and is just displayed wrong, so accordingto the PCM 130* is a little hot for the MAT, but acceptable.

I'd like to see if the EOT and ECT are good/bad/stuck to see if that's some more of my sluggish issues and also related to the high idle not kicking in... I'mthinking they may be stuck like te MAT, but I don't want to throw money at it if I don't have to....

Tenn01PSD350 01-09-2007 01:00 PM

I will have a look. Here's the IAT and MAT descriptions while you wait:

The Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensors are thermistor devices in which resistance changes with temperature. The electrical resistance of a thermistor decreases as the temperature increases, and increases as the temperature decreases. The varying resistance affects the voltage drop across the sensor terminals and provides electrical signals to the PCM corresponding to temperature.

Thermistor-type sensors are considered passive sensors. A passive sensor is connected to a voltage divider network so that varying the resistance of the passive sensor causes a variation in total current flow.

Voltage that is dropped across a fixed resistor in series with the sensor resistor determines the voltage signal at the PCM. This voltage signal is equal to the reference voltage minus the voltage drop across the fixed resistor.

The IAT signal provides air temperature information to the PCM. The PCM uses the air temperature information to operate the Exhaust Back-Pressure (EBP) system and to determine the cold idle setpoint. During long idle periods at cold ambient temperatures, the setpoint will increase engine rpm.

Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) Sensor
Note: The MAT sensor is not used on Econoline models.

The PCM receives an intake air temperature from the manifold intake air (MAT) sensor. Based on this signal the PCM adjusts fuel and timing. The sensor is located in the compressor manifold downstream from the intercooler.

Tenn01PSD350 01-09-2007 01:08 PM

Hmmm, it does not appear to be a PCM input item, well, at least it is not listed there. I will see if I can find out what's up with that. Perhaps it is simply wired to the gauge and nut used in PCM strategy.

John7894 01-09-2007 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
Hmmm, it does not appear to be a PCM input item, well, at least it is not listed there. I will see if I can find out what's up with that. Perhaps it is simply wired to the gauge and nut used in PCM strategy.

Talking about coolant, right?

Tenn01PSD350 01-09-2007 01:48 PM

Yep, coolant sensor. All I've found is this so far:
AG6 CHECK FUEL HEATER

• Fuel heater circulates return fuel when coolant temperature is between 15°C and 26°C (60°F and 80°F).
Is heater functioning correctly?

John7894 01-09-2007 01:56 PM

Couldn't tell ya! I have no codes present. So I can only "assume" everything is working good.

Is there some better diagnostic tools that are better than this Predator?

Tenn01PSD350 01-09-2007 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by John7894
Couldn't tell ya! I have no codes present. So I can only "assume" everything is working good.

Is there some better diagnostic tools that are better than this Predator?

That really wasn't a question for you. I should have indicated that it was part of the pinpoint test cut and paste. I have found no other reference to the engine coolant temp sensor as it pertains to PCM strategy.

I know the AutoEnginuity is one of the best I have heard of for the money but have yet to bring myself to spring for it. If you do not have a laptop, you are out even more money to use it.