Conversation Between abyars111 and 56FordMilkTruck
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 3 of 3
  1. abyars111
    02-17-2016 01:34 PM - permalink
    My 390 pulled strong for a few years but is starting to use some oil and show it's age. To my knowledge it's never been rebuilt, last owner had the truck since '96 and never touched the engine. I plan to have it rebuilt soon, stock specs except a RV type cam. If you need anything else let me know.
  2. abyars111
    02-17-2016 01:34 PM - permalink
    My '70 crew cab handles well when towing. I think the longer wheelbase of the crew helps. I also found that keeping the front tires at the right made a big difference in handling. I have E load rated tires, I run 50lbs in front and 55 out back. I'm sure a 201X handles towing easier but I'm happy with how mine drives. I have factory power disc brakes up front and the larger drum brakes out back. I installed the F350 dual diaphragm brake booster for added piece of mind. I have 3.73 rear gears. My travel trailer weighs around 6400lbs loaded. It has a 5850 dry weight posted on it. I have Tekonsha Prodigy P2 trailer brake controller. I have stopped the trailer once with out the trailer brakes, it stopped but not near as well. Install a trailer brake controller. I use a Equal-i-zer weight distribution hitch with sway control. My front end is completely rebuilt including a rebuilt steering box from RedHead.
  3. 56FordMilkTruck
    02-12-2016 06:23 PM - permalink
    Hello, I noticed your crewcab (I have a '74 F250 4x4 390/4sp) and wanted to know how yours handles pulling that travel trailer? I have already upgraded to pwr steering (what a difference that has made!). I would like to use mine as a tow rig and wanted to know how yours handles. Are you running disc brakes? Tow package? Gearing in rear end? Also what is length/weight of trailer & do you have any concerns/problems towing it? Any info/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you