Conversation Between elgemcdlf and bbf ford
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 7 of 7
  1. elgemcdlf
    05-30-2013 01:08 AM - permalink
    The rear mounts go where the control arm lays naturally. You do not want this point to be stressed.
  2. elgemcdlf
    05-30-2013 01:07 AM - permalink
    I will take some pics of my steering shaft. It is very close to the left header but doesn't hit. When I did my swap I did it with the nose of the truck on it along with engine in. I marked the center line of the front wheels on the front fenders as a reference. Then pull the front suspension & cut out the front crossmember. Now you are committed! Of course steering box comes out as well. Line up the crossmember on the reference marks (only 1 side is important) & take a look. Do you want it farther forward or back? Set it where you want it & mark your holes on that side of the frame. Make sure you are centered right to left. Now drill the holes. Take a measurement from some fixed point on the frame to the holes you drilled & transfer that to the other side & drill away. You are correct about the sway bar. When positioning it make sure the links are vertical perpendicular to the lower control arm.
  3. bbf ford
    05-29-2013 10:47 PM - permalink
    I'm using a 429cj so it has a good set of heads. When doing the cv swap are the steps mark the hub centers, cut out the cross member, set the cv cross member up on the frame drill the 4 holes, then I'm guessing you can just push the sway bar up and drill those holes, but I don't know how to mount the trailing arms. If I could also get some pics of the steering shaft that would be helpful.
  4. elgemcdlf
    05-29-2013 05:19 AM - permalink
    Since you are working with a dent (the place bump owners find the comfort parts they want) locating a power booster in any salvage yard should be no problem at all. I see you are planning to build the engine. Might want to consider a hydroboost (not available on a dent) which would have to be fabbed to use do to low vac in the engine. I do not know what your vac situation will be. PS pump would be the same. Any 429/460 PS mount, pulleys & pump should be easy to find. Almost all older Lincolns came with 460 engines.

On a side note before you drop all kinds of money into your engine you might check out 460 Ford Forum & BIG BLOCK FORD'S I know the first thing I would change in your build is the heads. Locate a set of C8, C9 or D0 heads instead of D3. That is me though. I will get some pics of the motor mounts so you have an idea at least of what can be done easily.
  5. elgemcdlf
    05-29-2013 05:18 AM - permalink
    You will need a couple adapters to convert from the 8mm bubble flare of the brake hoses to the 3/16" lines on the truck. Fast58 found a pair of hoses from a F150 that fit the calipers & had the 3/16" double flare ends. I want to stay as much 1 vehicle with the swap as possible for ease in getting parts when I need them. (Now what brake hose did I use?) He also found a pressure line from a Ford Focus would work for connecting the rack to the pump but I believe he is running a late model pump (metric). I am using an older Saginaw pump ('76) so I had a hose made at a local hydraulic shop using the CV lower portion.
  6. elgemcdlf
    05-29-2013 05:18 AM - permalink
    I wouldn't jump to spacing it up. There is so much you can do with wheel tire combinations that making up for 1" if it actually turns out you need 1" would not be hard to do. Another option if you felt it was too low would be springs from Eaton Detroit. Originally I used the lower section from the CV to build my shaft connecting the rack to the column. That was with the 302. When the 460 went in things got a bit tighter & the shaft (since it spins off center) hit the left header. Summit racing to the rescue! I ordered a 3/4" 36 spline/1" DD u joint, 3/4" Mustang V/ 3/4" DD u joint & a 24" DD telescoping shaft. The shaft will need cut down but I wanted to ability to collapse the shaft so I went this route.
  7. bbf ford
    05-28-2013 07:43 PM - permalink
    Hello
    I'm sure you've been asked many times and there's lots of threads about the cv swap but you seemed to know a lot about it when helping fast58. So I was wondering if you could send me some pics, parts list, and the steps to do the cv swap. I have a 79 f100 custom it originally had a straight 6 with a 3 on the tree no ps or pb. I plan on putting a 429cj in it with a t10 backing it, lowering the back 3 inches and the front 4 inches (correct me if I'm wrong but I've heard the cv swap drops the front 5 inches so I would need 1 inch spacers). Also if you've got your 460 in I would appreciate pics and info on the motor mounts.
    Thanks
    Mike