Conversation Between mjp_t98 and 700renegade
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 2 of 2
  1. mjp_t98
    07-09-2010 11:01 PM - permalink
    Hi Ron,

I think an extra transmission cooler is probably a good idea. I first fitted a gauge to my 94 Winnebago, and it read about 215F at about 65mph on a 100 F day. After the extra cooler, it reads about 190 to 195.

I did put my gauge in the pressure test port on the left side of the E4OD. It's not perfect, but it's way better than nothing. A good OBD 1 scanner is capable of reading the internal sensor, but good scanners for OBD1 are hard to find.

I put my extra cooler between Ford's cooler, and th ereturn line back to the transmission. It' sonly about 10" x 10", but has a thermostatically controller electric fan on it, so it doesn't need to get direct airflow. That's just as well, because most motorhome cooling airflow is a disaster.

The surprise for me is that after a trip, if I don't line up with my gate just right, and have to stop and get out and check clearances, then after only a minute of idling in Park, the fan will come on.

Michael
  2. 700renegade
    07-09-2010 12:37 PM - permalink
    Hi - you were helping me diagnose my hard start 460 MH problem. I posted some data about fuel pressure and coolant sensor. If you would be able to chime in I'd appreciate it! I can tell you are one of the few that knows his stuff ( easy to find guys who spout off crazy solutions, not so easy to find guys like you).

Also - off topic - where did you mount the temp sender for your tranny oil? Is that 1/8" MPT plug in the left side of the E4OD good enough? Sounds like you'd add another tranny cooler in line on my '94 F53? I have a used Hayden off a conversion van from years back lying around - I could easily insert it.

Thanks
    Ron