Conversation Between camodown and 1982_f150
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 4 of 4
  1. camodown
    11-13-2011 11:56 AM - permalink
    List: transmission, bellhousing spacer plate, clutch, pressure plate, pilot bearing (don't use the kevlar bushing), slave cylinder (just get a pre bled Ford unit, saves a lot of time and frustration), associated hardware, clutch pedal position switch, transfer case (can be either an electronic shift or manual depending on preference-Must be from a manual trans truck though, the input shaft is larger on the manual. Another option is to just get the input shaft from the manual trans transfer case, but that would involve more work), new gasket between tailshaft of trans and input side of transfer case, clutch pedal box (~$80 new from dealer), water temp sensor and pigtail (the manuals have 2 sensors; one for the cluster, and one for the computer), and if you want to do it right, a pcm from a same year engine as your truck from a manual truck. I was told that the auto computer could be reflashed but my truck didn't run right doing that so I just swapped in a manual computer.
  2. camodown
    11-13-2011 11:55 AM - permalink
    You will also need part of the floor pan out of a manual truck unless you want to make a new one. It is much taller on the manual vs. auto. Carpet/vinyl floor covering isn't absolutely necessary, but measure carefully before you cut. I have a pic of the automatic carpet; and it fits pretty well. Of course, don't forget the shifters and boots as well. Otherwise, it is pretty easy (doesn't sound like it but it is). Took me a total of 24 hours of work to swap them out, and another few hours of looking at wrong wiring diagrams to figure out how to get cruise to work.

If you truck is an '02, I can give you a step by step and it will work. the earlier trucks are even easier because they don't have as much electronic stuff to 'retrain'.
  3. camodown
    11-13-2011 11:54 AM - permalink
    Hey, sorry for the long time in gettin back to you! I didn't even know I had a message waiting! Anyway, yeah, the truck has now had a manual transfer case, and ZF6 in it for a year and hasn't given me any problems. The only issue I had was because the salvage yard sold me a junk tranny.

Basically, there is no welding, and if you have a crew cab long bed, it doesn't even need new driveshafts. The wiring is where it gets fun but still not bad.
  4. 1982_f150
    09-24-2011 06:54 PM - permalink
    hey man, ive been hearing you did a auto to zf swap alittle while ago. i have a 2000 f350 7.3 2wd that ive been looking on doing the swap to. what parts do i need to do this? did you iron out all the problems you were having?