Conversation Between 49willard and Jeff and Nicolle
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 10 of 10
  1. Jeff and Nicolle
    01-23-2011 04:01 PM - permalink
    Hey Bill this is what I want to achieve with a shock mount!
  2. Jeff and Nicolle
    11-30-2010 09:26 PM - permalink
    Hey Bill, sent ya an email, gotta get up early tomorrow so I gotta get off here but if ya got anything to say just let me know if ya see anything I am missing. I agree with ya after reading your message about the vibration dampener, probably don't need it.
    I gotta get an order of precedence for this truck build, I have been kinda spinning circles trying to figure out what to do next and I find myself not getting anything done! LOL hope ya had a great turkey day and look forward to chatting with ya soon!
  3. Jeff and Nicolle
    11-30-2010 01:04 PM - permalink
    I tried to send you an email from here, I gave you my home email, but I'm at work( heh heh !)
  4. Jeff and Nicolle
    11-30-2010 11:56 AM - permalink
    Hi Bill, I saw your "attention getter" on the CARB VS EFI topic, I don't have any msgs from you that I can find! I don't know what's goin on there? I will check my email settings too! thanks! Jeff
  5. Jeff and Nicolle
    11-23-2010 09:02 PM - permalink

here is one to start. there are more in my albums under "JAG IFS steering issue"
    I also added a buch of pics into "JAG IFS" showing the engin mounts and centering and such. My welding on a vertical surface looks rough so I am warning ya in advance! LOL
  6. 49willard
    11-20-2010 04:05 PM - permalink
    Jeff,
    I am not sure that you will need anything for vibration in that you hard welded the crossmember to the frame. The F-1 cab is soft mounted to the frame which could at least theoretically induce load/vibration into the steering column. That said I don't believe that you will have a problem. The original F-1 steering column is hard mounted to the frame and to the bottom of the dash. I would gamble that you will be OK. I managed to get my steering shaft/borgeson joints to work without an intermediate shaft and therefore did not need a support bearing. I should remember what the maximum angle recommemded for a borgeson joint to prevent binding. I am sure you can find it somewhere on the Borgeson website or elsewhere on the net.
    Send or post some pics when you get the chance and I will be glad to give you my thoughts.
    It sounds like you are progressing well.
    Bill
  7. Jeff and Nicolle
    11-19-2010 08:20 PM - permalink
    Hi Bill,
    Okay the 351W is centered, I used shorty headers for a mid nineties mustang, I have a steering column from a 1986 Bronco II with tilt( fits great! )I used 3/4" Double D shaft (from most ford full sized trucks) two of my joints are from the same and I ended up buying a 3/4"-48 spline joint and support bearing from borgeson. I think I will end up buying a double u-joint ,from Borgeson, for the middle joint cause I think I have a little bind but I got other things to worry about first. I like how it turned out and will get pics this weekend. I really would like you to see it and if ya see something that bothers you, please tell me! Also if you got any more questions about it, please ask. I feel like I am on a lonesome Jaguar journey! Also I did hard weld my jag to the frame direct so I will need a vibration dampener I think.
    I did not use the Jag Z-joint
    I hope your day went well! Talk to ya later,
    Jeff
  8. 49willard
    11-19-2010 05:50 AM - permalink
    Jeff,
    Glad to hear that you got the steering/exhaust manifold geometry worked out. Can you tell me what you ended up doing? Which Ford manifold/headers did you use? Did you offset or center the engine? I remember that you were SBF, 302 or 351?
    Bill
  9. Jeff and Nicolle
    11-16-2010 07:05 PM - permalink
    Just wanted to let you know. I finally got my steering linkage hooked up! You said it was the trickiest part...! I have to agree with you! I will eventually have to get a double u-joint for the middle joint because there is just a little too much angle in it which gives me a little bit of bind. But for now its fine, on to the next goal!
  10. Jeff and Nicolle
    09-15-2010 09:36 PM - permalink
    Bill ! sorry for not remembering,yeah i am with ya...can't wait to deal with the steering mess...I was going to fab my engine mounts but not weld anything until the steering stuff and brake mounting issues are played with...never thought this would be all critical, but yeah a 1/4" one way or the other could be all the difference in the world! I only want to do things once, so when I do mock ups, I stand back and think about it for a day or two, i then start seeing what other problems there may be with adding parts and such. Its intense for me thats for sure! but it is also so rewarding to me! I hope that my engineering abilities aren't a joke, I've been working on automotive stuff since I was 15 and I have never stopped loving it! its time to put myself to the test!