Arkansas Chapter Join Chapter Leader: Kramercd

October Chat/ All Topic Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at the O'Reilly's site and got the part # before I went to the store.
I made the mistake of not doing that one time for the '61. I'd looked up the parts and the 'net said they had them in stock, but I didn't write down the numbers. When I got to the store their in-store catalog only goes back to '62. I ended up calling a bud in Memphis who I knew was home, having him get on the 'net and look up the numbers and giving the numbers to the kid. Sure enough, they had it all in stock.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:48 PM
Will P
Senior User
I have been busy doing stuff with the kids and trying to get the exhaust manifold bolts out of my 72 F-350. Gonna need a torch I guess!

Old 10-23-2010, 08:08 AM
1996pwrstrk
Cargo Master
I got back from a bad week and had to replace both batteries.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:11 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good Morning AR!

Old 10-23-2010, 05:16 PM
zhilton
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rainy day in Arkansas. At least Ark beat Ole Miss.
Originally Posted by 1996pwrstrk
I got back from a bad week and had to replace both batteries.
That sucks Dave, if you got 'em through a Ford dealership...I know exactly how much you just shelled out.

Old 10-24-2010, 05:34 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
Must be my weekend for brakes. Friday rear brakes on the Crown Vic, Yesterday, rear brakes on a '58 Vette, all brakes on a Mercedes 380SL.
Today...rear tire on my bike...finally!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:38 AM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
Today...rear tire on my bike...finally!
Wally, a quick question, do you clean and repack the wheel bearings on your bikes when replacing a tire? I stopped by the bike shop who replaced the rear tire for the PO of my bike and they looked at me like I was crazy when I asked, guess that's another project for this winter

Old 10-24-2010, 09:04 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning AR!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Since I'm some what new to scooters, got a question. Does anyone know of a good forum (similar to FTE) for scooters? Granted HD are different that Suzuki, Honda & Victory...I'm hoping there's a good one stop forum to educate myself on. There are certain things that I don't think I'll ever do myself (tire replacement) but there are others that I'd like to do...brakes, repacking bearings etc. Any ideas gents?

Old 10-24-2010, 09:33 PM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
I know a good forum for Harleys, HarleyTechTalk - Index but I don't have one for metrics. Surely there has to be something out there.

Jeff, I pack all 3 of mine when I change the tires, but I think that the newer bikes have sealed bearings. Ask on the above mentioned forum. It's orgainzed sorta like FTE, with different forums for different engines and even a couple of forums for OT and just plain BS. Little bit looser around some of the guidelines, except for the language one, surprisingly enough.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 PM
mechmagcn
Logistics Pro
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts
Wally, I was just wondering, it seemed to me that it should be done at the same time. I repacked the front when I replaced the tire, will pull the rear after the weather turns bad, no slack or noise, just peace of mind. Have you ever done any work on the 5 speed transmissions, mine seems to be more noisy than I thought it should be, sort of sounds like a rough bearing when idleing in neutral.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:15 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
I've done clutchs and drive sprockets and I've done throwout bearings and arms, but in the bigger bikes I've never been inside a tranny. Done several in old Sportys, but they're a whole different ball of wax.
Best Harley shop I know in the state is Rodney's on Doyle Springs Rd in Little Rock. They do all my machine work.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:46 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Good Morning AR!

Welcome to another week!

Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
zhilton
Postmaster
Morning gents, if your a fan of the fall colors this weekend should be a nice one in the Ozarks. The maples look great over here in NWA.
Originally Posted by Old_Crow
I know a good forum for Harleys, HarleyTechTalk - Index but I don't have one for metrics. Surely there has to be something out there.
I've google'd around a couple of times to see what's out there...but never could find anything that seemed to be what I'm looking for. Maybe I just need to find a shop manual for my scooter and go from there.
Originally Posted by sddesigns
Welcome to another week!
If you'd gone through the night that we had last night, I wouldn't say "welcome to another week"...more of "let's not repeat this night again for a while". When you have 5 crews (two guys on each crew) basically tripping over each other...both on the radio and in reality, your thankful for the night to be over. Then a boss corner's ya' on your way out the door wanting to know what took so long to get out of town last night....

Old 10-25-2010, 08:58 AM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by zhilton
If you'd gone through the night that we had last night, I wouldn't say "welcome to another week"...more of "let's not repeat this night again for a while". When you have 5 crews (two guys on each crew) basically tripping over each other...both on the radio and in reality, your thankful for the night to be over. Then a boss corner's ya' on your way out the door wanting to know what took so long to get out of town last night....
I've had many "Let's not repeat that day again!" times!

Quick Reply: October Chat/ All Topic Thread