Plan of Action--project/build plan in need of feedback

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM
jokerforever
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Plan of Action--project/build plan in need of feedback

I just typed this up for a reply to someone in the 87-96 forum. I'd thought I'd repost it here to get some feedback from the experts. So what do y'all think of my plan? Any input overall (timeline, steps, anything missing or I didn't think of) or detailed (cam/heads/intake/EFI suggestions, anything else easy for the bolt-ons, etc) would be helpful

For more power out of the gaser, well, if you read the head porting thread then you know about the limit of stock EFI. I have a 97 and I'm planning on a 3 step build (actually 5 but 3 steps for the engine) over the next couple of years (re: as money comes available). It maybe a little off subject and a long post but it may give you some ideas. It is as follows

1. The bolt-ons: This will be the basics. Full length headers going into 2.5 true duals, throttlebody, cleaned up air intake, fuel regulator, air pump elimination, and if I can find it a swap to a factory MAF set up. These have been covered in this section and the 385 Series forum many times.

1.5. In-between this step and the next I'll insure that my drivetrain and chassis is good to go. Trans refresh and fortification, shackle reversal, redesign the steering (true crossover?), rear lift springs to eliminate the blocks, gears and selectable lockers front and rear, and decide on my final wheel and tire package

2. The short block: Stroker baby! From here I'll pull the engine and build a 521 using off the shelf parts. The 460 only has a 3.74" stroke. If this engine was ever allowed to breath from the factory it would have reved to the moon. Summit offers a couple rotating assemblies with a 4.3" stroke that will drop into place with no block clearance and if I stay with 6.7" rods the pin won't go into the oil ring and the engine should wear like a stock block. I'll top this with my stock EFI top end and stab an EFI friendly cam in it. Building on the experience from the head porting thread I know, even ported, this setup will have its limits. But it will keep the truck running and on the road and I'll have a great base for the final step.

2.5. This will be when I complete any body work that needs to be done (rust in the rear wheel wells, holes in the cab roof from a visor installed by the original owner). Paint and interior will be finalized and finished.

3. Now all hell breaks loose. I rip off the OEM EFI and heads and I let this animal breath. I good healthy cam that puts my HP peak about 5000 and a nice flat torque curve from idle on up. I good set of aluminum heads (Ford Racing SCJs seem to be the best for the money) and aftermarket EFI should wake up this beast and keep my drivability. I'll have to get a standalone controller for the E4OD and will have to modify the header flanges (maybe build one-offs headers, the primaries are on the small side for something like this) but that's not that big of a deal for me. All in all I think I'll have a good 500+ hp truck that can tow, race, and 4wheel. It will look great and unique in a sea of new trucks and the efficiency should be so high I don't think that I'll get much worst fuel mileage than I'm getting now.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Men don't plan to fail...they fail to plan. Best of luck, good plan, hope so
(quote)
The 460 only has a 3.74" stroke.

The 460 has a 3.85 stroke

Old 09-28-2010, 05:14 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Originally Posted by Slip ford man
The 460 has a 3.85 stroke
oops.

Yeah, you're right. For some reason I was looking at the specs for the new 6.2.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
jokerforever
Elder User
Bump!?!

Y'all think I would get more input from the 87-96 forum?