Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-19-2010, 08:34 AM
Freshman User

rcosta is starting off with a positive reputation.
Smile Is this the right vehicle?

I am in the process of choosing which used SUV would work best for my family. We are deciding between a used Expedition or Excursion. My wife and I have 4 children, age 14 to 3, so space is the number one issue. We also plan to tow a travel trailer (yet to be bought but will probably be about 6,000 lbs.). Most of the traveling will be local but we want to have the ability to pull the trailer around the country.
I would be interested in anyone'e opinion about which would be the better vehicle?
Thanks so much.
Old 09-19-2010, 02:19 PM
Junior User

Jesse4812 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Both are fine vehicles. I've had four Expeditions with the latest being an '07 Limited EL. The only engine available now in the Expedition is the 5.4l. It's a good engine but if I intended to do a lot of towing I think I'd want an Excursion with either the V10 or diesel. If you decide to go with an Expedition try to find an EL. The longer wheelbase makes for a better ride and more stable vehicle.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Elder User

chuck s is starting off with a positive reputation.
The difference is night and day.

The '07 and newer Expedition with the HD Towing Package is rated at 9000 pounds towing and rides like a town car. I'm sure an old Excursion can be equipped to tow more, but my only experience with that vehicle puts the ride into the old F150 category.

I don't do it routinely, but 8 adults will fit in my '07 Expedition. Certainly easy for two adjust and 4 kids.

The '07 6-speed transmission seems designed to tow a trailer without stress. The old 4-speed will have the engine running very fast.

Our trailer is 5000 pounds. Strongly recommend the '07 and later HD towing package. Better cooling for the engine and transmission and all the wiring is at the back of the truck. Look for the round "Bargman" connector on the passenger side of the hitch receiver. Ain't there? Keep looking.

Click the image to open in full size.

-- Chuck
Old 09-24-2010, 08:13 PM

tseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputationtseekins has a superb reputation
I think that with the capability of the Expy's and the awesome road manners that they have, it would be a better choice. At least for me it would.
2010 Ford Focus
2004 Expedition XLT 4x2

FTE Guidelines
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Freshman User

rcosta is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks

Thanks for everyone's great help. I appreciate the time and responses.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:57 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator