General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Is it even possible to buy American anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 12:35 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Is it even possible to buy American anymore?

**This thread is not intended to be inflammatory. Just some observations by XXL**

Is it possible/practical to buy American? I have friends who insist upon buying products that are "American" (that is, made in the USA). The problem I see, is that the world is smaller now than ever - it's really not possible to buy 100% American anymore. Example: the computers we're all using to browse the forum. Defintely not made in the USA. My truck: engine made in Canada, computer *probably* made in Asia somewhere. Same goes for every other car. Regardless of what you do, you're putting money in a foreign company's pockets. Another example: I work at NTB (National Tire & Battery). I was talking with a customer and recommended a set of Michelins for him (highway cruiser). He says "No way. They're a French company, and they wouldn't allow us to use their airspace during the gulf war." He then proceeds to extoll the virtues of BF Goodrich tires (which are excellent, too), saying that he'll only buy American, etc. etc.. I then inform him that Michelin owns BFGoodrich, and that Michelin is probably owned by Sony (just joking, but there may be some truth to it). He then responds "well, I think it's time I found a new tire company." I then recommended some Yokohama Geolandars. He scrunches his face up, saying that he's not going to buy Japanese. As he's leaving, I see that he's shopping for tires for his TOYOTA 4RUNNER!. What's the rationale there? My point is, although it made sense in the past (buy American; put money into the pockets of Americans), it's more or less a lost cause now.

Anybody care to comment?

XXL

Old 02-20-2003, 05:04 AM
1997RangerXLT
Posting Guru

I'll comment, you are right. All of our biggest companies are and have been multinational for many years.

My Dad used to sell hardware and lumber out of a store that my uncle built. They sold the nail barrels that nuts and bolts came in until all the nuts and bolts started coming in cardboard boxes from Asia in the 50's and 60's.

A Harley Davidson freak told me that HD frames were made in Japan before WWII.

Anyone that thinks they can toss the wall of nationalism up where ever they want is mistaken.

I've been to Asia many times. I muse at Japanese cameras (and such) that sell in the USA for much less that they sell for there.

Strange world.

Old 02-20-2003, 06:31 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru

...A little known fact about Harley Davidson...They actually licensed the japanese to build motorcycles kinda the same way Smith/Wesson did with Taurus...

Its Been a LONG time since Harley was genuine all american...they are assembled here if thats any consolation and there are only 2 metric bolts on my 94, can ya guess which 2...?

Also heard that John Deere were made in japan and Kubotos were made in america...go figure

Old 02-20-2003, 07:01 AM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well I don't think there is any way around it. The real issue is that to produce all those parts in other countries and bring them here is a lot cheaper. Your truck would have cost a lot more if it had all american built parts. I know that you can't get around it so I don't bother to worry about it.

Old 02-20-2003, 11:23 AM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

I don't worry about trying to buy all-american, it just seems like a moot point to me. As we've all pointed out, everyone works with everyone else to make a product, so it's impossible. What really got me started here was a post I saw on another forum. The guy was interested in some Nitto Terra Grapplers. There were a few other suggestions, some Yokohamas, some Toyos - all offroading tires. Then this guy shows up and makes some comment like "what's the matter? y'all afraid of some good ol' American rubber?" because there were a few negative opinions against the BFGoodrich ATs. Once again, BF is owned by Michelin, which is probably owned by Sony. I guess some of the "good ol' boys" just can't let 1955 go.

XXL

Old 02-20-2003, 02:52 PM
big_daddy_velvet
Elder User

Japanese car manufacturers employ just as many Americans as American manufacturers, if not more. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, some Subarus...built by unionized American workers.
BDV

Old 02-20-2003, 04:04 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

Are most Ford Econoline vans still made in Canada? Or has it moved to Mexico yet with SHAFTA?

> I see that he's shopping for tires for his TOYOTA 4RUNNER!.

I met a person complaining about how he could not find work, he was driving a new Toyota his Dad bought him. DUH!

It is almost impossible to find shoes or boots made in the U.S. outside of catalog orders. Use to be one of our biggest industries. The loss of OEM capacity will not be truly felt until we have another big war or natural disaster, then we will surely regret not have the capacity ourselves.

Old 02-20-2003, 04:27 PM
mick460
Elder User

Still making "American" cheese here in Wisconsin. Somethings just can't be made anywhere else.