6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Diesel Fuel differences by brand

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 01:22 AM
ssharber
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here in Murfreesboro, TN just about every pump has the cetane posted, and none of them are higher than 40. Thats why I use it every fillup. And ive noticed that in Illinois they have mostly biodiesel and dont have it posted as bio mostly. Had an issue recently where my truck started running poorly shortly after filling up in IL and found out it was bio. Went back to the station and they confirmed most all diesel sold in IL is bio with not requirement to post it. Last time Ill go through IL without an extra fill tank.

Old 03-29-2011, 04:57 PM
hull_viper2
New User
I live in Fort Bliss/El Paso, TX and only get fuel at the on post gas station because thats the cheapest place to get fuel. Currently $3.83/gal. Off post it is over $4.00. The military gas station does not post the cetane rating for their fuel either. With all the gas stations that do not post this, how do you know when and if to add the cetane booster? Maybe I am retarded or just a newbie, but I am not a big fan of adding a bunch of additives to my system. It seems to me that if it was supposed to be done, the Ford Plant would have done something to their engines to assist in the matter. I've had my 2010 6.4 250 for over a year, currently 17000 miles and have never added cetane booster. I average 16-19 MPG hwy and 10-13 city. I recently had my fuel filters replaced and I have been on the lower side of these averages.

Should I or should I not be adding the cetane booster?

Old 03-30-2011, 05:57 AM
Buckbuster
Junior User
On behalf of the State of Illinois - I apologize to all diesel owners -
Bio - sucks - poor performance - poor mileage - winter gelling - But some of our Farming organiozations lobby for it. There is a local station "Road Ranger" that paid (reimbursed) me $370 for bad fuel and repair costs; $ per gallon is cheap - but down time isn't.
Fortunately I live close enough to Wisconsin I can run up there to get my fuel. The best mileage I have gotten was with BP.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:03 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Just a couple points. I posted an article from EPA about Bio in diesel engines. it's worth reading just to get a chuckle out of their conclusions. you can find it posted on december 13. It will get into your oil, period.

Since I learned how much havoc water can do to our engine I have started carrying a clear plastic cannister. When I refuel I take a sample early in the run to see if it has water in it. Because of the bubbles I probably wouldn't know until I had the truck almost full but at least I wouldn't drive with it. Only takes a moment and gives me peace of mind.

I have a 60 gallon tank and try to fill up at 50 gallons. took diesel kleen and put it in a bunch of 20 ounce twist top heavy duty plastic bottles which I carry in the truck tool box right next to my clear plastic container. Before I start pumping I pour 1 bottle into the tank. Takes only seconds. Just FWIW

Old 03-30-2011, 03:58 PM
JcF204
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in Colorado, at a Local Kum & Go they have a sign saying that they add the Diesel Kleen Winter blend to their winter Diesel Fuel. I have gotten the best mileage from them so far. (I also added my Diesel Kleen as well)

I can't remember the name of the manufacturer of Diesel Kleen at the moment.
There is not any Cetane levels posted that I can find in my area either.

And someone asked about Ford doing something about it, they did.

They reccomend you buy the Motorcraft Fuel additive. That is their answer.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

Well after a couple of years I thought I would bump this thread. We all have done more traveling across the country and bio is in nearly every pump these days. My last trip to Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico and Southern Utah and over 3800 miles total, with a lot of climbing with a load and coasting with a load. I have to say that using Diesel Kleen did help a little in the clatter and performance especially at the higher elevations. There was more water drained this year than previous trips which raise an alarm with me. Flying J fuel was used from Wichita Falls, Amarillo and Albuquerque and Winslow AZ and that is where I had the most water, curious as they have a high turnover on their inventory......on the way back we traveled north thru Cortez, Co, Gunnison over Monarch Pass, to Buena Vista, Co and then back to Texas from there. No water was drained until I filled in Amarillo again at the J.... before I filled in Sweetwater TX at the TA I checked the water in the fuel and had about 3 or 4 oz. The fill at the TA was the last fill on the trip and no water drained when we got home. Now I have that little bit of concern with Flying J/Pilot according to this trip.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:20 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I filled at some of the same locations as you just the other week, I had a bit of water in TN but no where else. I drained daily just to make sure.

I did notice a lot of bio fuel labels everywhere now.

I also had some very interesting regens this time out. Most were over 150 miles apart and a lot of them were around 6 miles in duration.

I am thinking because my EGTS were pretty much in the 1100F area the whole time is the reason.

Old 09-02-2013, 03:21 PM
CarlT100
Postmaster
Subscribing. Good information in this thread.

Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've using a local Valero station, truck runs good, less water than I get from Shell or Speedway, last two drains just a couple of drops, cheeper too.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:53 PM
Gearitis
Elder User

I am headed back to Buena Vista, CO here in a couple of weeks and I am be very watchful as to where I buy fuel. I don't know if it will make any difference but I think I will try to stay with the Safeways, Walmarts and Krogers as I get 10-15 cents off plus I know they are rather high volume sales. I am sure not volume as much as the J's or TA's but enough. Also it will be cooler and I am not sure that the humidity did not cause some of the water collection on the last trip. Cool fuel running into a hot tanks.....hummm, don't know if there is anything to that? I know that at Clayton, NM, I will need to top off at the Loves there. Just not a big fan of Loves, I have had plenty of issues with water in their fuel in the past.

Old 09-14-2013, 04:46 AM
Team Flash
New User
Please state how you are draining the water off of your fuel. I assume it is via the fuel filter but not sure. Any details on this would be helpful. Thx

Old 09-14-2013, 05:26 AM
bubbasz1
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Water separator, on a 6.4 it's under the drivers door on the frame rail.

Old 09-14-2013, 12:33 PM
BigSky109
New User
New owner of a 2009 F250 6.4l and reading this I am going to try the Diesel Kleen. At this time The wife drives the truck more than I and we are getting around 10.8 MPG around town. I will try this and see what it can do for us.

Old 09-15-2013, 12:07 AM
BigSky109
New User
Just bought some Diesel Kleen at the local Wally World, bought the80oz version good for 250 Gallons. Poured the first batch into the tank.....time will tell now.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:52 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
IMHO, the best fuel out there is Cenex Roadmaster XL. Neither it nor Conoco/Phillips are listed on those 2 year old charts. Roadmaster is a "Premium" diesel. I won't run additives in that fuel. All others I have my own brand of additives I dump in when I fuel. As has been said the ULSD is "dry" fuel and needs a lubricity agent, especially for older diesel systems.

On the farm, the only thing that will be put in my bulk tank is Cenex Fieldmaster XL.

Quick Reply: Diesel Fuel differences by brand