Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Thanks for bending us over again Dalton!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 08:33 PM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for bending us over again Dalton!!

So McGuinty is sliding a new one in; Sept. 20th if caught doing 40km/hr over the limit you'll get impounded for a week, 2nd time for 30 days and if nabbed a 3rd time in two years you lose your vehicle for 60 days. As if the Street Racing Law wasn't bad enough

Old 09-05-2010, 11:17 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Seems like a very easy solution to me, follow the speed limits and you'll be fine!

IMO there should be harsher consequences to people that drive that much faster then the maximum speed limit.

Dont get me wrong, i speed just the same as everyone else, but I take my medicine if I get caught. If the punishment was more severe, my cruise would get set at the limit.

Old 09-06-2010, 04:36 AM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Well as simple as your solution seems there is sometimes a small problem with it. The Street Racing Law and this new one which take effect at 50k/hr and 40k/hr are fine when used properly. What burns me is the speed traps setup on off ramps and other areas where the speed limit drops significantly and the radar and tow trucks are out in full force. Does this seem a reasonable use of the law or a great cash grab then? We have rules and laws for speeding and dangerous driving and if you read the legislative minutes you see what a misinformed group our political leaders are in regard to what they wanted to accomplish. It seems some laws are based on watching to many Fast & Furious movies.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:19 PM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
I do agree with ya that not all the laws make sense, but the solution really is as simple as stated.

Even signs with drastic differences in speed can be followed, and fairly easy, but I do hear where your coming from, that it doesnt make the most sense where/when they have these signs posted.

Speed traps, well that is a different thing as well, and they are annoying, but the same thing goes for them. They dont bother the people who follow the speed signs at all!
(yes ive been caught in a speed trap once before in the mountains!)

As for the guys that make the laws, what else can ya say, they are only politicians, ya cant expect too much common sense from em haha.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Green Streak
Senior User
Speed limiting devices are required on big trucks in Ontario. Why not require it for every vehicle?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
LightningRyan
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^Cause than they wouldn't make any money on speeders!

I know I haven't been Driving that long but I have never seen a speed trap on an off ramp! There is no posted speed limit on an on/off ramp, only a suggested speed. You must do a speed which will keep everyone safe and at the same time not impede(sp?) on trafic (learned this when I did my G test).

Other than that if your stupid enough to do 40-50 km/h over the speed limit well than your asking for trouble and should take your licks and also be fined a stupid tax! Now I'm not saying I'm perfect, I speed but not at 40 over. If your late for work or anything what's another 5-10 minutes late?

I picture you as one of the people that when you get a ticket you would take it to court instead of taking your licks for being so dumb in the first place.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:35 AM
fp_5
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Cash grab plain and simple.
The new laws call them Street Racing or Stunt Driving were to be targeted at a specific activity that recklessly endangerous life.
The difference between speeding on a lonely stretch of hiway and weaving in and out of traffic for braggibng rights on who gets to the cottage first are significant. Whats the difference? INTENT! Speeding is speeding but put into perspective is a lesser infraction (IMHO) than racing or drifting your car through the off ramp. Yet the penalty is the same.
As much as I'd like to blame Dalton, this is a Fantino initiative that will likely take some time to undo but court challeges have started based on the lack of intent.

Frank

Old 09-07-2010, 10:08 AM
77460ford
Posting Guru
Intent is exactly what this is. The private members bill that started the case made for the street racing law was a couple out on an anniversary killed by suspected street racers, what is never mentioned was the couple driving the other car were legally drunk. So which is the worse of the two evils? Did we get new laws requiring a breathalyzer in every car? No, we currently have laws that can be enforced.

For everyone that drives the limit fine, at no point did I mention I condone speeding. What I'm against is yet another cash grab quietly slid into action.

As to your statement LightningRyan; "I picture you as one of the people that when you get a ticket you would take it to court instead of taking your licks for being so dumb in the first place", don't assume anything about anyone as you usually make an *** out of yourself. With 34 years of driving I have one speeding ticket from 28 years ago for 12kms over the limit. The premise of this thread is to inform the unsuspecting members of Ontario and guests of a new law being queitly brought into effect.

To make the most of this law they could also bring back photo radar, set it up on the 401 and have a fleet of tow trucks picking up the cars at night, think of the money!!!!!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:00 PM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

It would be more fair if the speed limits weren't so artificially low!

Old 09-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
X2 on that one

Originally Posted by loudfords
It's all a big game, the cheapest piece of crap car will do 100mph, if the law makers and cops don't want folks to speed they should legislate that no automobile be capable of speeding.

Don't kid yourself it's a sin tax just like smoking ,gambling (Lotto tickets) and Booze.

The Government Morals are always based on Revenue, I mean really how many folks are killed by Street racing? (Illegal) As compared to Smoking (Legal), Drinking (Legal).

Racing is a hot button issue that sells news papers and causes Knee jerk reaction in the general public.

I mean holy crap how about tackling Unemployment or mental health issues or the education system or our wait times at Hospitals?

The list goes on and on, Dalton is very low in the polls as we speak due to the latest tax grab (HST) so he's trying to garner some support by looking like he cares about folks safety and well being.

The original poster is 100% correct IMHO.

Sorry if this post seems harsh and it is not meant to offend anyone But there has to be more important tasks at hand for our politicians to be addressing than Racing and 40KPH over the speed limit.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM
lilmustangboy
Senior User
all the government does it try to steal your money.. facts of life folks... they will bend you over and ream you with whatever they can.. speeding is just the new fad thats getting LOTS of support thanx to kids and their "high performance, expertly tuned, canadian tire bolt on hot rods"

i get on the 400... i get in the slow lane... i do 90km/hr... thats what my truck likes.. thats what i like... and im not old im 24... i have sped.. hell got busted doing 60+ on a side road one night (long before the new rules) and between that and the cost off gas (go over 110 and watch the gauge plummet) i have learned my lesson....

if you wanna speed... speed.... just be prepared to get caught... and prepared to help good ol' dalton get his next raise!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by lilmustangboy
... and prepared to help good ol' dalton get his ill-deserved next raise!
Fixed it for ya!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 AM
preppypyro
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by Green Streak
Speed limiting devices are required on big trucks in Ontario. Why not require it for every vehicle?
This ones easy, cause you cant spoon feed everything, to everyone. I mean people need to act certain ways in society, follow some sort of rules, and most certainly be held accountable for their own actions, good and bad!

In your opinion, what should they be? Keeping in mind all the new drivers we see each year, plus tons of crappy drivers, plus the handful of decent drivers that all have to share these roads...

Originally Posted by Red Ford Truck
It's all a big game, the cheapest piece of crap car will do 100mph, if the law makers and cops don't want folks to speed they should legislate that no automobile be capable of speeding.
It shouldnt be up to the vehicle manufacturer for a driver to operate that vehicle at a certain limit at all. People should be held accountable for their own actions! Laws are in place for reasons, and there should be speed limits set in place. Its more of a safety issue then anything

The Government Morals are always based on Revenue, I mean really how many folks are killed by Street racing? (Illegal) As compared to Smoking (Legal), Drinking (Legal).
I wonder how many car accidents are cause due to speeding, which in turn keeps insurance rates sky high, does kill people, etc. ?

Sorry if this post seems harsh and it is not meant to offend anyone But there has to be more important tasks at hand for our politicians to be addressing than Racing and 40KPH over the speed limit.
I agree that its easy to sit on the sidelines and say how others should do stuff (i do that myself just the same as anyone) but even this small stuff needs to be addressed. There NEEDS to be some limits and laws set for certain things otherwise people will just go nuts. Now I dont think every law that is made is right either, and Ill be the first to admit I dont follow them all to a T but I do understand why they are there!

Good discussion by the way fellas

Old 09-13-2010, 11:33 AM
loudfords
FTE Chapter Leader

Quote:

Originally Posted by preppypyro
In your opinion, what should they be? Keeping in mind all the new drivers we see each year, plus tons of crappy drivers, plus the handful of decent drivers that all have to share these roads...
Compare the speed limits on equivalent roads in other provinces to Ontario's roads. For example, the Trans-Canada at the Ontario-Manitoba border. Same traffic, same highway surface, etc, but 100 on one side of the line, 90 on the other. Why?

And traffic seems to flow at about 105-110 on either side of the line, I take that to indicate the level of enforcement/speed tolerance by the respective police forces.

And yes, I know, there are different traffic levels, and I don't think all the 2 lane highways in SW Ontario should have a 100 speed limit like MB/SK/AB etc.

Old 09-13-2010, 02:32 PM
Red Ford Truck
Posting Guru
Safety?

Originally Posted by preppypyro
This ones easy, cause you cant spoon feed everything, to everyone. I mean people need to act certain ways in society, follow some sort of rules, and most certainly be held accountable for their own actions, good and bad!

It shouldnt be up to the vehicle manufacturer for a driver to operate that vehicle at a certain limit at all. People should be held accountable for their own actions! Laws are in place for reasons, and there should be speed limits set in place. Its more of a safety issue then anything

I wonder how many car accidents are cause due to speeding, which in turn keeps insurance rates sky high, does kill people, etc. ?

I agree that its easy to sit on the sidelines and say how others should do stuff (i do that myself just the same as anyone) but even this small stuff needs to be addressed. There NEEDS to be some limits and laws set for certain things otherwise people will just go nuts. Now I dont think every law that is made is right either, and Ill be the first to admit I dont follow them all to a T but I do understand why they are there!

Good discussion by the way fellas
Well how do you explain the Autobahn?

Quick Reply: Thanks for bending us over again Dalton!!