1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Need advice...Water in my fuel tank. My dumb move.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 02:28 PM
dknouse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need advice...Water in my fuel tank. My dumb move.

Hi there.

I did something really dumb and I'm looking for advice.

I have a 2001 7.3L F350 with about 115 000 miles on it.

My dad sold his farm and gave me some diesel in cans that he had on the farm. He didn't think it was too old and it was in a clean metal five gallon can so I thought I would be OK for cleanliness to use it a little at a time in my truck. I wasn't even thinking about water in the fuel but as the fuel was clean but it must have sat through one or two cold winters and there was condensation happening in the can.

Needless to say I dumped about half of the can in my tank and when I started up and drove for a bit, the water in fuel light came on and she died with a plume of white smoke out the tail pipe while sitting idling in front of a store waiting for my wife to come out. I shouldn't have but I panicked and tried cranking it for a while to get her going to no avail.

I towed it home and dumped the fuel bowl with my hose off the drain tube and the water was very evident. I changed the filter and ran some more with the electric pump in the tank a few times by bumping the key to start the pump.

After the new filter was changed, she was running rough but now it seems to be OK. My Water in Fuel light came on again when I started out this morning but I stopped after a few miles and drained my fuel bowl again and the light went out. It hasn't come on again since.

Question: Is there anything with my engine I may have damaged? I did crank for a bit when I was trying to get it going the first time and someone told me that I shouldn't do that as there would be little engine lubrication if it wasn't starting and I could damage my cylinder walls.

Also: Do I have to change my fuel filter again? I bought two when I had this happen so I'm carrying a spare.

We are leaving on a camping trip tomorrow so I just want to be sure things won't go sideways on me on my trip.

Any advice is appreciated as I'm new to diesel trucks.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You should be ok with that little bit of water in the tank. Keep an eye on the water in fuel light and drain as needed. Next time you change the filter, clean the bottom of the fuel bowl with a rag or something like that. Have a good trip.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:41 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
You could hook a hose to the drain line and cycle your pump several times pumping out fuel. You may not have that much, but yes I would change filters again and probably again if you water light comes on again. IF he smoke has cleared up and it's running better, then you are probably all right on the engine.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:44 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

I think your motor/injectors will be fine.These are tough ole motors.I would have suggested you drain/pump out the fuel in the tank and get all the water out.Fill w/clean fuel.If the tank is low now I would still get that diesel/water out before your trip.
If the tank has alot of fuel in it I would add some Diesel Kleen(Walmart,AZ,Oreilly's) to the tank.Take another look at your filter and see if there are water beeds on it and possibly change it and buy another filter for your trip.The filter is to trap particles....not water.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:47 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
You are worrying to much.... it will be fine.

dknouse
Question: Is there anything with my engine I may have damaged? I did crank for a bit when I was trying to get it going the first time and someone told me that I shouldn't do that as there would be little engine lubrication if it wasn't starting and I could damage my cylinder walls.

Have you seen some of the 'stuff' guys run through these trucks..... AFT oil.... veggie oil.....Hydrogen spray.... propane....

A little water will not hurt it. I think there is a additive at parts stores to evaporate water.... Fill it up and run it. The fuel filter should be fine. It may 'burp' every now and then until it is run out, but the little bit will not hurt it. After your trip, take the fuel filter out and check for dirt and other material in the bottom of the bowl that might need to be cleaned out...

welcome to the forum
you will learn a lot here. If you have any questions... ask away.... the guys here will not steer you wrong, they/we all talk things out and find the right 'fix'..

Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
man I type slow.... no posts and then 20...

Welcome to the forum

Old 09-02-2010, 03:02 PM
dknouse
Senior User
Thanks for your help

Thanks for the quick and knowledgable replies.

I spent a lot of time researching before I bought my truck and looked at over 50 different units of different years of Dodge, GM and Ford before deciding that I needed a 7.3L. What really tipped the scales for me wasn't only the positive reviews of the 7.3 but also this forum and the number of knowledgable, dedicated people that are willing to help at a moments notice.

Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:06 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Good looking truck...Have good trip

Old 09-02-2010, 03:07 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

I think you picked the best looking truck there is. Here is mine.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:09 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

Rick...go ahead and show him your engine compartment pic....Puts us all to shame...well...me for sure

Old 09-02-2010, 03:13 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by riverrat41
Rick...go ahead and show him your engine compartment pic....Puts us all to shame...well...me for sure
I guess I can only take so much twisting of my arm. I do need to take another pic of all my new stuff under the hood.

<CENTER itxtvisited="1"></CENTER>

Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM
riverrat41
Postmaster

That's what i'm talking about.

I think he waxes it with Miller Lite every morning

Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Originally Posted by riverrat41
That's what i'm talking about.

I think he waxes it with Miller Lite every morning
Every afternoon.

Old 09-02-2010, 03:25 PM
dknouse
Senior User
I wish I could keep my engine that clean. Very nice Rick. You maybe can't tell in my avatar but I found a short box dually which I'm glad to have when I have my 35 foot fifth wheel and my boat hooked together. I measure up at 77 feet and I'm still legal here (barely).

Old 09-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Shake-N-Bake
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by miller_feed
I think you picked the best looking truck there is. Here is mine.

(drooling.....)

Quick Reply: Need advice...Water in my fuel tank. My dumb move.