General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

PayPal Verification - why is it needed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PayPal Verification - why is it needed?

I've had a Paypal account for a few years, and use it for Ebay and to donate to several of my favorite web sites. I keep getting an additional email at the same time as my paypal receipt stating:

We wanted to let you know that you’re just $xxx.xx USD away from hitting your initial PayPal sending limit of $2,000.00 USD. This is the maximum amount of money you can send or use for purchases before you need to become Verified.
Why do I need to verify my account?
We place initial limits on all accounts to increase security and help prevent fraud. Once you link and confirm a bank account or get approved for PayPal credit, your account will be Verified and you’ll be able to make as many payments as you like with PayPal.

It seems to me that they already have my credit card info, and that should be sufficient for them. I'm leery of linking any additional account with them. Is this on the up and up? I suppose I could create a new account and run up another 2 grand - it's taken me 3 years to spend that much on PayPal so far.

There was a similar thread on this in 2006, but I'm looking for a more recent discussion. Plus, that thread ended up WAY off topic discussing chili.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:41 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
When I verified mine, they made a random deposit into my account,,, and I had to tell them how how much it was.

That way they knew it was really me.

The deposit was like .32

I have had my account for years and have never had any trouble with it.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:20 PM
brd7666
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is nothing wrong with becoming verified through Paypal. It helps them to varify that you are who you say you are. It also allows you to pay straight from your bank account instead of a credit card. Paypal does make more money when you pay for a purchase with money from your bank account, they get the entire transaction fee, as to a credit card, they share that fee with the credit card company. I have been using Paypal for years for both sending, and receiving payments. When I joined Paypal they were not owned by Ebay. Ebay bought Paypal several years ago. I have never had a problem.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for your feedback - most appreciated!