1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

150$$$$ headers vs 600 $$$gibson

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 09:41 AM
mike bell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
150$$$$ headers vs 600 $$$gibson

I see the cheap ones on e-bay...wht is the difference any ???

Old 08-29-2010, 09:54 AM
Deluxe05
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some of the cheaper headers have much thinner exhaust manifold mounts. The thinner ones are more prone to warping after repeated heating/cooling cycles, and this leads to exhaust leaks. 1/4" and larger flanges are pretty commonly used & recommended.

Also, I think all (?) of Gibson's exhaust headers are ceramic coated. Depending on what off-brand you are looking at, they could be bare metal.

Old 09-04-2010, 12:32 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
for one let me tell you something dont waste your money! i put them on my truck two years ago and i didnt notice one single change in the truck! i bought the gibson raw stainless ones and the first winter they were beautiful and the second which was this year we had allot of snow so allot of salt was put down and they are covered in surface rust! i take excellent care of my truck and wash it down as much as possible in the winter and all the time now in the summer months and it didnt help. when i got my sct from mike he said it was good that i did the headers and y-pipe mod cuz he can tune the truck more with them on. the sct made a huge difference over my superchip but i wouldnt spend the 600 again on the headers.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:51 PM
mike bell
Senior User
thanks for THAT......mine is such an early v10 ....it has a egr pipie off the manifold soooo headers will not work so dicision mde.....mabey a chip or what is an SCT ????? I am not building a race car....this is a snow plow with a big v boss....any extra power would be OK

Old 09-04-2010, 11:21 PM
FORDTUF1
Elder User
Originally Posted by mike bell
thanks for THAT......mine is such an early v10 ....it has a egr pipie off the manifold soooo headers will not work so dicision mde.....mabey a chip or what is an SCT ????? I am not building a race car....this is a snow plow with a big v boss....any extra power would be OK
I did my 99 V10, JBA out of CA somewhere, made them with the EGR tube connection.

However, I would go with the tuner first. I bought the Superchips Tuner from Autoanything, worked great for economy, towing and high performance settings. It takes about 5 or 7 minutes to reprogram it. It also changes tranny settings if you have the automatic. Also changes speed limiter :-).

Old 09-05-2010, 06:36 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Just noting if you have a truck with EGR and you install one of our tunes we can turn off the egr , truck will run normal and headers will work out fine..