1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Japedo's 66 build...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
66crawler
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know you can sixtysix but its 4x more expensive, first you have to convert to carb, then you need a special blow thru carb and all that crap, efi is just so much easier lol, swap injectors maybe a fuel ral and an f.m.u.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:16 PM
bluestang65
Tuned
The early mod motors used the SBF bell housing in the CVs. I don't know when the switch to the current modern MOD bell housing was, but the first CVs used the same AOD transmissions as the 5.0.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:24 PM
BigBlockFalcon
Freshman User
Looks like a cool fun build

Old 09-11-2010, 12:11 AM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
Originally Posted by bluestang65
The early mod motors used the SBF bell housing in the CVs. I don't know when the switch to the current modern MOD bell housing was, but the first CVs used the same AOD transmissions as the 5.0.

I think you missed my point, in that a T-5 and T-45s are totally different trannys! But yes I understand what your saying about the bellhousings.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:54 PM
japedo
Junior User
Made some good progress today, pulled the body of the vic off gently with the jeep :lol:

Pressure washed the chassis and brought it in the garage, no chassis damage or serious rust found, seems really solid.

Set the cab on.

THen the box!

Actually starting to look like a truck. I just roughly set things on there, need to do a bunch of adjusting and measuring before figureing out mounts..
As you can see the box bed is very rusty and I did a 2 minute cut job on it so I could set it on. Need to build a floor for it, with the hump to clear the suspension.

Was quite a long day today working on the truck and I deffinently couldn't have got much done without my buddy mark helping me lift the cabbox and such.

THis picture gives you an idea of what I will be cutting off the rear of the chassis. And of course building a new cross member.

THanks folks,

Old 09-15-2010, 09:10 PM
66crawler
Elder User
I would cut out that rear crossmember, make a new one lower and use some coil overs. The back of your truck wont weigh half of what the back end of that car did and you would be able to have a flat bed.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:22 PM
japedo
Junior User
THat may work, have to consider it. thanks

Old 09-15-2010, 11:38 PM
Back265
Senior User
No exper by any mean but it appears to be coming along fine

Old 09-16-2010, 07:30 AM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
holy sheeeeeeeet that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!! Now you got me thinking cuz I can get a CV frame for 500. Now I cant make up my mind what I wanna do lol

Old 09-16-2010, 10:35 PM
japedo
Junior User
Ya it definentley sits nicely just mocked up on the frame. It's going to be fun figuering out all the mounting points , but should be able to use a few of the original crown vic chassis mounts.
Once the entire body is figured out and bolted in place, im renting a blaster and taking it apart to blast and seal.

Needless to say I have my work cut out for me for the next little bit. lol Becomes daunting when you look at the big picture. I just need to focus on putting a floor in that box for now

THanks for looking at the pictures guys, input is always good i'll keep updateingthe pictures as things progress.

Japedo

Old 09-17-2010, 07:46 AM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
Is it possible you can take some pics of the rear suspension please?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM
japedo
Junior User
Originally Posted by SixtySix Ford
Is it possible you can take some pics of the rear suspension please?
Ya sure, I can post a few pictures up here later tonight. Anything in particular you want to see about the rear suspension?
Ive got the box sitting on the floor again, so ive got easy access to the rear suspension.

Thanks Japedo

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM
SixtySix Ford
Senior User
just some basic shots really of how the rear end mounts to the frame and how the springs are etc. would work fine! thanks!

Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 AM
OKC_65_F100
Freshman User
Thanks for the pictures ..... I probably need to enroll in a body shop class or a introduction to welding class at our vo-tech and learn some basic welding skills. My 65 is pretty solid but a lot of the fenders have dents and the only rust seems to be floor pans and door sills and underneath the U channel floor support and the cab mounts.

I will follow your progess, thanks for sharing ....

Old 09-18-2010, 04:32 PM
japedo
Junior User
Originally Posted by OKC_65_F100
Thanks for the pictures ..... I probably need to enroll in a body shop class or a introduction to welding class at our vo-tech and learn some basic welding skills. My 65 is pretty solid but a lot of the fenders have dents and the only rust seems to be floor pans and door sills and underneath the U channel floor support and the cab mounts.

I will follow your progess, thanks for sharing ....

Hey no problem with the pictures, I'm just starting to get on to uploading multiple files to photobucket.. I learn alot the hard way..

Welding class or stell fabrication class would be fun. Ive had my welder for less then 2 years and basically taught myself while fixing up my jeep, and building a ski doo trailer.
However that isn't necessarily the best way to do it, id recommend getting some scraps of steel a welder of some sort and practiseing butt welds, plug welds, stitch welding, verticle and horizontal. Save upside down for last.
I also believe there are some tutorial video's on the net for welding, probably a ton on you tube.
If your truck is rusted in the areas you say, you are probably in for a unpleasant surprise when you start the job. Usually the more you dig the more you find, rust that is.

But with welders charging anything from 40$ to 100$ an hour around here, a 300$ welder pays itself off quick!

Good luck with your truck and learning some metal working skills if you do go that route.

Japedo

Quick Reply: Japedo's 66 build...