How to replace a u-joint - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Maryland Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: jr32560

View Poll Results: do you want more threads like this?
yes, very helpful 5 100.00%
I really don't care 0 0%
no, I really don't care to see stuff like this 0 0%
no, this guy is an idiot 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

How to replace a u-joint

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2010, 09:02 PM
doesn't play with idiots

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
Lightbulb How to replace a u-joint

remove the driveshaft, and take it to your big vise.

find a socket to fit inside where the cup goes, and squeeze lightly to remove the spring clip

remove from vise, and remove the spring clip

find a larger socket than the cup, but smaller than the driveshaft, place small socket on one side, large on the other, then squeeze it out with the vise, you may need a pipe for leverage. it will go crack twice, then it will shove the cap into the socket

place 1 cup in the drive shaft, turn the new joint in, make sure to face all u joints in the same direction, or they will bind. place 2nd cap on, and squeeze carefully with the vise, until the caps are flush with the outside

squeeze the cap in with the socket until you can see the slot where the spring clip goes, on both sides.

install new spring clips

install grease fitting

bolt it back in the truck, use blue loctite on the nuts to keep them from backing off.

[IMG]http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/dustybumpers
/94trans029.jpg[/IMG]

good luck, as you see, not a hard job, just take your time
Old 08-21-2010, 10:32 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
Great work, Charlie....next time put some spaces between the photos ( use the enter key) so you have room for the written directions.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:36 PM
doesn't play with idiots

dustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputationdustybumpers has a superb reputation
ok, so..... I do the picture in with paste, then hit enter? they have changed photobucket, and you know me..... slow learner.
Old 08-21-2010, 10:55 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
You can also hit "PREVIEW POST" prior to posting it. That way you get to see how it's gonna look when you DO post it and if you don't like it, edit it.

You hit the "ENTER" button here in FTE, not in PhotoBucket. All you will see here is the URL to PhotoBucket. Hit the "ENTER" button as many times as spaces you want
Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Posting Guru

66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.66fdtrucknut has a great reputation on FTE.
Good job Charlie, nice vise btw.
Charlie
Old 08-22-2010, 08:01 AM
doesn't play with idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66fdtrucknut View Post
Good job Charlie, nice vise btw.
Charlie
thanks. did you notice the 2' x 2' x 3/4" piece of road plate under it?
Old 08-22-2010, 11:27 AM
FTE Chapter Leader

jr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to beholdjr32560 is a splendid one to behold
very well done Charlie