Print Wikipost

2011+ 6.2 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 11:42 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by GSSF17
Assuming you are serious, this would possibly apply to a cabureted engine, but these modern fuelies with the computers adjust for all that. And quite well, I might add.
Totally serious. Im interested in hearing one straight piped.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-06-2013, 08:05 AM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True straight pipes have proven to be horsepower-killers on the modern engines, in my experience. They need the back pressure to run well and get good mileage, in addition to making power. May sound good (depending on your taste), but it would lean the mix out too much and you'd probably lose power.

Old 09-07-2013, 05:30 AM
LaxinFish29
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GSSF17
True straight pipes have proven to be horsepower-killers on the modern engines, in my experience. They need the back pressure to run well and get good mileage, in addition to making power. May sound good (depending on your taste), but it would lean the mix out too much and you'd probably lose power.
I got rid of just ONE of my cats and the muffler on my 5.4 F150 and it sounded like a race truck. I can't imagine a true straight on the 6.2.

I was much younger then so maybe I would have enjoyed it then, but no way I would now.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It isn't so much that back-pressure is needed, but flow velocity. There is a difference. Too large a pipe might have the SAME back-pressure(none) as a smaller pipe, but the smaller pipe will get more power because the exhaust gasses are kept moving fast enough to keep the inertia going to "pull" exhaust from the engine(hope that came out right...). Too big a pipe "stalls" the pulses and actually slows the flow. A properly designed muffled system will out-POWER (not necessarily out-flow on a flow bench...) a straight pipe system with too-big pipes

Old 09-10-2013, 06:47 PM
ccstp
Senior User
I removed the secondary muffler on my 6.2It gave it a nice deep sound, not too obnoxious, and I just added short downward dumping tip straight off the primary muffler to keep the exhaust hidden. Sounds good. Havent noticed an increase or decrease in the power or MPG. Best of all..... It cost me $20

Old 09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
GSSF17
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma
It isn't so much that back-pressure is needed, but flow velocity. There is a difference. Too large a pipe might have the SAME back-pressure(none) as a smaller pipe, but the smaller pipe will get more power because the exhaust gasses are kept moving fast enough to keep the inertia going to "pull" exhaust from the engine(hope that came out right...). Too big a pipe "stalls" the pulses and actually slows the flow. A properly designed muffled system will out-POWER (not necessarily out-flow on a flow bench...) a straight pipe system with too-big pipes

Good point on the flow rate versus back pressure. I guess I used the term "back pressure" to mean the flow velocity, which is my mistake. Good catch on the physics of it!

I still need to get a vid of mine during a take off and a fly by. I removed the muffler and left both of the factory resonators, and love the sound. I can fetch 15 mpg on the highway, unloaded, going 75 mph. I got the 3.73 rear. Since I did the muffler mod when the truck was brand new (basically), I have nothing to compare the mpgs to, other than others' reports, but mine seems to be on par.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:58 PM
LCT
Junior User
CCSTP, are you meaning you removed one of the resonators? I am unclear, please explain. I am interested in upgrading my exhaust but have concerns after reading this long thread. My thinking was originally to go with a whole new exhaust from the cat back to the rear, but now I am more inclined to just add a magnaflow muffler, perhaps a 28' one at that.

Old 09-10-2013, 08:14 PM
ccstp
Senior User
Originally Posted by LCT
CCSTP, are you meaning you removed one of the resonators? I am unclear, please explain. I am interested in upgrading my exhaust but have concerns after reading this long thread. My thinking was originally to go with a whole new exhaust from the cat back to the rear, but now I am more inclined to just add a magnaflow muffler, perhaps a 28' one at that.
My truck looks like it has two mufflers so maybe the first one would be considered a resonator but to answer your question I removed the large metal muffler canisters looking thing that was the last thing in line before the end of the tail pipe lol. Hope that's less confusing. I also of course removed the rear exiting exhaust pipe like mentioned in the original post and the exhaust dumps straight down underneath the truck

Old 09-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
If you removed the largEST metal can before the tailpipe, it was the actual muffler. Just before that is a small can-like resonator, and ahead of that next to the tranny is a larger, oval, dual-inlet resonator where the headpipes combine their efforts. You must have yanked the muffler....

Old 09-10-2013, 10:01 PM
RAPR
Senior User
You could also do like me. I removed the small resonator and replaced it with a Y-pipe cutout. That way I can make the truck factory quiet with a cap on the cutout, or have a sexy exhaust tone with the quick removal of the cap. The best of both worlds and extremely cheap.

The small resonator unbolts out the way, no cutting. It serves no purpose either. If you want to see my mod, just good at my pics in my "garage".

Old 09-11-2013, 05:25 AM
LCT
Junior User
Interesting. With the cut out below the cab is there any drone while underway? How does the cap come on and off? It just seems to me the factory exhaust system is somewhat redundant and restricting. I love the sound of a magnaflow and will likely just add on a large muffler, keeping the system as is and perhaps adding a ss tip welded on. From looking at the magnaflow web site it appears their exhaust system for the 6.2 totally deletes the resonators, unless I am missing something from their illustrations. The local muffler shop is persuading me to dump them as well.

Old 09-11-2013, 09:15 AM
RAPR
Senior User
the setup in the picture is when i had the election cutout valve installed. i haven't had much luck with it not failing, so i just pulled it off. with the turndown pipe, there is no drone at all. With the whole valve and turndown removed, it is slightly louder in the cab during accelerations but the drone is very minimum, if any.

Old 09-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Originally Posted by LCT
From looking at the magnaflow web site it appears their exhaust system for the 6.2 totally deletes the resonators, unless I am missing something from their illustrations. The local muffler shop is persuading me to dump them as well.
I believe the Magnaflow system keeps the first resonator, as it joins the headpipes into the system, then replaces all behind it.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma
I believe the Magnaflow system keeps the first resonator, as it joins the headpipes into the system, then replaces all behind it.
Not sure which magnaflow product LCT is referring to, but I do see a product on their site that does in fact replace the front resonator as well. you can tell by the Y pipe provided.

MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

With this system keeping to the 3" tubing, you should not have any drop in mpg, as the exhaust scavenging would remain the same.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:55 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
OK! I have NOT kept up, I guess! But it's good they're replacing the front resonator w/ a Y-pipe as it would be smoother than the turbulence a resonator would cause. Good move on Magnaflow's part.

Quick Reply: 2011+ 6.2 Exhaust