Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

2011+ 6.2 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:18 AM
F350Centurion
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been following this thread since I had installed the Dynomax 4' system on my 2012 6.2 that replaced the Gibson SS Swept Side 3' system which was my first aftermarket exhaust, and can report this for comparison:

1. The Gibson system had a little more torque on the lower RPMs and around .5 better MPG but with very quiet or non-characteristic sound.
2. Dynomax has a much more throatier, pleasant tone in the low revs and idle with some hum/drone on the higher RPM's which is supposed to mellow out with time, based on something I read on here somewhere, and the Dynomax also has little more power as you rev up in the mid to high range

So, I did not have any significant power/MPG issues as I have read in this thread with the 4' system but that may be due to my particular setup which includes a CAI with a free flow filter for example. The other difference is that the Gibson system retains the front (small) resonator which makes install faster and easier while Dynomax starts at the Y-pipe and takes longer to install.

Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 PM
RZAR
Tuned
Originally Posted by F350Centurion
I've been following this thread since I had installed the Dynomax 4' system on my 2012 6.2 that replaced the Gibson SS Swept Side 3' system which was my first aftermarket exhaust, and can report this for comparison:

1. The Gibson system had a little more torque on the lower RPMs and around .5 better MPG but with very quiet or non-characteristic sound.
2. Dynomax has a much more throatier, pleasant tone in the low revs and idle with some hum/drone on the higher RPM's which is supposed to mellow out with time, based on something I read on here somewhere, and the Dynomax also has little more power as you rev up in the mid to high range

So, I did not have any significant power/MPG issues as I have read in this thread with the 4' system but that may be due to my particular setup which includes a CAI with a free flow filter for example. The other difference is that the Gibson system retains the front (small) resonator which makes install faster and easier while Dynomax starts at the Y-pipe and takes longer to install.

I also installed the Dynomax 4" system last week and have seen a very minor inprovement in gas mileage going back and forth to work. It has a mellow tone but with some minor drone. I do feel minor power increase in the high end and more responsiveness in the low end. Very easy install (under 2 hours).

Old 09-06-2012, 06:01 PM
builtftough4.6
Freshman User
my dynomax system is sitting right in front of me here, pretty psyched on the install, that 6 inch tip looks prettttty clean im betin too.
f350centurion , what brand CAI you running man?

Old 09-07-2012, 10:10 AM
F350Centurion
Freshman User
Originally Posted by builtftough4.6
my dynomax system is sitting right in front of me here, pretty psyched on the install, that 6 inch tip looks prettttty clean im betin too.
f350centurion , what brand CAI you running man?
I've got the AFE Stage 2 metal tube/filter box CAI breathing through a Donaldson Power Core filter. I was using the AFE Oil filter but switched to the Power Core which is supposed to be the best option for paper filtration/high flow...

Old 09-20-2012, 02:41 PM
RAPR
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I figured I'd share pictures of the end result of my Doug's Electric Cutout install. I placed the electric switch in the useless pocket where the ash tray use to be...leaving it completely hidden. The truck sounds soooo sexy under any acceleration, fairly quiet when at constant speed. When in the closed position, it is just as quiet as factory, for those long trips on the interstate. I've reset my MPG meters with it opened and closed. With it open, it gets just as good MPG on the interstate, if not .5-1mpg better.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:28 PM
Glittle
Senior User
First Post

I've been following this post and others for quite awhile now here at FTE. I figured its time to start contributing and asking questions...

Would someone that has installed the Dynomax system for these trucks please get us some sound clips or video of the exhaust? I would like to hear what they sound like. I'm also interested in the results of long term usage and how the system is holding up.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:22 PM
RZAR
Tuned
I should have made a sound clip before I returned my complete Dynomax system under the Safe and Sound 90 day guarantee. Its a well made quality exhaust but the drone became overwhelming inside the cab when I had the camper on back or when towing. It was so bad it was vibrating the change in the center console and I had to raise my voice to talk over it. When the truck is empty under light loads its perfectly fine but with the camper on during a long trip it wares on you bad! Probably going to stick with the stock exhaust for now.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:26 AM
GG386
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
So let me see if I have this right, the consensus is to keep the forward resonator? There's a 13 super duty crew with with my name on it (coming in about 3 weeks) and not sure which way to go with the exhaust. My plan is to exit the exhaust before the passenger rear tire but there doesn't seem to be any "kit" systems out there. Anyone have experience with this setup?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GG386
My plan is to exit the exhaust before the passenger rear tire but there doesn't seem to be any "kit" systems out there. Anyone have experience with this setup?
Isn't that the same set up that ruined the paint on F-150s a few years back?

Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by Racer5349
Isn't that the same set up that ruined the paint on F-150s a few years back?
I had a '97 with the exhaust dumping in front of the rear tire and it ruined the finish on the centercap and the wheel was always dirty because of the combination of gravel roads and condensation from the exhaust. I'll never put that kind of set up on one of my trucks again.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:31 PM
RAPR
Senior User
GG386,
You can check out my setup if you want. It's not thing fancy and not a bolt on kit per say

Old 11-29-2012, 10:55 PM
GG386
Mountain Pass
Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Burning up the paint or fouling out the wheel doesn't sound to appealing! I actually ran a set on each side on a Ramcharger and IIRC I didn't have any issues but that thing had more miles off road than street, so it wasn't clean enough ever to tell.........

What if the tips were past the plane of the tire?

TBH, my main concern is with that front resonator. Reading this thread isn't too reassuring about yanking that thing off. I'm coming from a diesel background (as far as trucks) and those units just loved anything you could for them as far as exhaust evacuation.

Another thing, there's quite a bit on Raptor exhaust mods- aren't they a close enough cousin to work with SD's?
GG

Old 11-30-2012, 06:15 AM
Racer5349
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GG386
Burning up the paint or fouling out the wheel doesn't sound to appealing! I actually ran a set on each side on a Ramcharger and IIRC I didn't have any issues but that thing had more miles off road than street, so it wasn't clean enough ever to tell.........

What if the tips were past the plane of the tire?
I didn't mean to discourage anyone from installing the exhaust of their choice with my comments. I don't exactly remember the F-150 problem, I just know Ford did it this way for a short while and had some issues. I don't think every truck had the paint burned off. I thought it was more of a chemical reaction from the exhaust. If you can research and find out what the problem was there, you could avoid duplicating the issue.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM
Amelio
Senior User
Originally Posted by RAPR
GG386,
You can check out my setup if you want. It's not thing fancy and not a bolt on kit per say

I really like what you did with your truck.....I just sat here and read this entire thread and your mod is the closest thing that I would do to my truck. The cost is very low and still retain the stock system.

I would like to hear from someone that has just eliminated the stock muffler and that little 1' can thingy in front of it and either just run tail pipes out the back or installed a muffler of some sort.

RAPR can you get a sound clip up?

Old 12-28-2012, 06:54 PM
RAPR
Senior User
I don't really have any recording equipment besides my iPhone 5. I can see about doing a clip tomorrow and attempt posting.

It's louder at start up in the morning die to the choke, but once warmed up its quiet at idle.
It is then only throaty under acceleration. With the cutout closed, it's just like factory

Quick Reply: 2011+ 6.2 Exhaust