Its growing on me.

Here is new vid with new camera
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Old 09-17-2010, 08:02 AM
ExplorHer1369
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds good. Nice and throaty.
I have grown quite partial to the sound of my V10 though.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:53 AM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
thanks, I still like my V10 too.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:44 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Old 10-25-2010, 02:23 PM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford 62
Hey! Fordmdb, thank you a ton! I know I like the last two dual set ups a ton. I also like the very first one. Stainless will be my way to go. Thanks a ton for finding this! You are the man.
You could save a lot of money by just removing everything behind the resonator. Sounds very clean, and nice and deep! I ran that for several days before removing the resonator too haha! Now it's loud just like I wanted...and the best part...it was all free!

Old 10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't bring myself to swap out stainless steel pipes for aluminumized. I did that once and I'll never do it again, they don't last. Anymore I do muffler swaps and use stainless steel pipes if I need to delete resonators or add pipe.

Old 10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
I agree in your area you need stainless. In south cakolacky... no need for stainless here, no snow , no salt ,no problem so nice....

Old 10-28-2010, 10:14 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I looked under a 6.2 truck recently, and measured the dia. of the tailpipe, but nothing else. Is the pipe going INTO the muffler only 3"? I ask because the tailpipe was a full 3.5 inches! I even did it twice. That is a big tailpipe.
I thought a good system would employ a dual-inlet Flowmaster with inlets the same size as the headpipes (2.5" or more?) and eliminating the resonators, and outlet 3.5" to use the stock tailpipe. It would look stock, but NOT sound like it!

Old 10-29-2010, 06:19 AM
devongarver
Tuned
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma
I looked under a 6.2 truck recently, and measured the dia. of the tailpipe, but nothing else. Is the pipe going INTO the muffler only 3"? I ask because the tailpipe was a full 3.5 inches! I even did it twice. That is a big tailpipe.
I thought a good system would employ a dual-inlet Flowmaster with inlets the same size as the headpipes (2.5" or more?) and eliminating the resonators, and outlet 3.5" to use the stock tailpipe. It would look stock, but NOT sound like it!

Pipes coming from cats into resonator are 3" OD. Out of Resonator into muffler is 3" OD as well. Out of Muffler to exhaust is 3.5" OD.

Yes, a flow 40 series would sound decent with dual 3" in and dual 3" out, or dual 3" in and single 3.5-4" out.

Old 10-29-2010, 04:20 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Thanks, devongarver, for clarifying the pipe sizes! 3" out of the cats is nice! Ford wants these beasts to BREATHE! It's up to us consumers to carry on that which the factory can't do. Heaven forbid they'd make something just a little too noisy, though from what I've read here, they're not doing too badly! BUT, anything can be improved upon, and it's our duty to uphold that principle......

Old 10-29-2010, 04:29 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
On another note, I can't believe that Gibson actually SHRUNK the size of the tailpipe from 3.5" to 3"! I would think that a 6.2L engine putting out 385HP(or in the Raptor, 411) could really use at least what Ford gave it, and surely not less! I think someone is trying to use up existing inventory on this one......

Old 10-30-2010, 05:44 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
It all depends on the velocity after the muffler. Maybe the velocity change from the gibson muffler didn't call for the bigger pipe.

That's usually the advantage of getting a cat back system. It is supposed to be developed and tested with components that give improved performance.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
Maybe you're right, but what comes to mind is that Ford wouldn't spend the money on that big of a pipe if it weren't needed. I don't think they would do it just for looks. Gibson already makes most of their systems with 3" mufflers and tailpipes, so all they had to do is bend up a pipe to hook up to the existing pipe from the converters. All other system components are existing pieces for the 5.4L kit. It sounds, looks, and runs good, all for very little development cost.
You need a 3" muffler and tailpipe to make a 5.4L, 300HP engine run right, and I have a feeling that it would take a little more to do the same for a 6.2L, 385-411HP engine. Gibson's system probably gains some power, but because of the free-flowing muffler, NOT the smaller-than-stock tailpipe.
I'll get off the soapbox now.....

Old 10-30-2010, 06:32 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Gary Atsma
Gibson's system probably gains some power, but because of the free-flowing muffler, NOT the smaller-than-stock tailpipe.
Your statement isn't necessarily true. Usually a free flowing muffler enables you to use smaller pipe. So the first part of your statement (use of free flowing muffler) could support what gibson did by using the smaller pipe. Again, this goes back to product testing, which we are forced to take the manufacturer's word on.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:54 PM
Gary Atsma
Senior User
You make some good points, and hope you are right, but can't help thinking Gibson was able to net some gains without doing much engineering. As I said, except for the transition pipe from the stock "headpipe" into the muffler, there is no new engineering here. If the full 3" system is "ideal" for the 5.4L engine that is good for 300 factory HP, a 6.2L putting out 385HP (Super Duty) is passing a LOT more gas and would require a little more in the pipe dept. The factory setup with the single 3" pipe after the converters and going into the muffler could probably be a little bigger for optimum power, but factory systems are usually a compromise between cost and efficiency. But Gibson chose to hook up to that too-small(in MY opinion) pipe instead of eliminating the first resonator and bringing back the headpipes to a dual-inlet muffler OR joining them into a larger pipe into a single-inlet (like 3.5" or so) muffler. I think Gibson took an easy way out on this one, and left a little power (maybe not much) on the table.

Quick Reply: 2011+ 6.2 Exhaust