Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

bunch of questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:19 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bunch of questions

Okay so the place where I was going to have my driveshaft balanced said they ship it somewhere and the other company balances it then ships it back..... No I don't want that so I need to find somewhere else that can, can anybody thing of like a conventional place that might be able to do it in my own town? rather than the shipping BS, second I'm getting ready for the rear brakes overhaul, what I don't understand is drum balance?? I've never seen such a thing as weights being put on a drum? so are they milled a special way where they are balanced? I'm going to end up buying both rear drums new if I cannot have them turned. My last question is more of a statement, I have checked the track bar today, I read on another 4x4 website to have someone turn the wheel and watch the track bar, well mine didnt move really at all, there is no slop in it but it did move when the wheels are turned and truck is in place so any comments on that would help too

Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
oreocreaming
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you should have a driveline place in your area. they will do it for you. balancing of the drum should come from the factory. theres little weight blocks welded to them.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:31 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Call around to your local automotive machine shops, one of them should be able to balance the shaft for you.

As for the hubs... what is causing the balance problem is they are out of round on the inside bore were the pads touch. Any machine shop should be able to chuck them up in a 4 jaw and indicate the lip in close enough to turn the bore true again. That is if there is enough metal left in there to do that and still stay above minimum tolerance. They will probably not be able to do this on a cheapo brake lathe such as the chain stores have... you will need a real machine shop. Might be cheaper just to replace them.

No clue on the sway bar thing.. when in doubt I always just spend the $20 or so on polly bushings and replace them.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:40 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
thanks for the tips guys, I was going to replace the trackbar bushings today need to get the bushings and get one of those propane torches and pencil tips for it, but just dont want to spend the $50 if these bushings are still good (I'm very frugal at the moment lol) I bet I'll still be chasing this stupid vibration in 5 years from now

Old 08-12-2010, 09:43 PM
WarOzz
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't ya got a bud you can borrow a torch from?

I think I would have traded it off rather then spend 5 years hunting down any problem lol

Old 08-12-2010, 09:50 PM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
not really don't have to many friends to be honest, I go to a school in the city with kids who are interested more in stealing and doing drugs than working on trucks sadly, ya I'm basically a redneck in their eyes, only person I can borrow a torch from right now would be my nice uncle but he is on vacation for a week, but I'm about to blow up the truck soon if I cant find what this shaking bs is, either that or its just going to shake itself to death one or the other lol

Old 08-12-2010, 11:44 PM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey stroker,have you ever thought of maybe a bent axle? If the truck has ever been in a crash,even a small one its a possibility,a very slight bend would make it shake.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
BTW stroker,congrats on staying away from those punks and bums at school! Being a redneck is cool these days!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:41 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Rick Wallace
Hey stroker,have you ever thought of maybe a bent axle? If the truck has ever been in a crash,even a small one its a possibility,a very slight bend would make it shake.
I did think about that rick maybe something is bent on the frame or axles, but when I first got my truck it was not shaking at all, I did some looking and found this huge truck ware house that I'm gonna go to tomorrow to see if they can balance my driveshaft and then start saving the money for drums/shoes/springs in the rear overhaul, I know my truck is only a regular cab but I dont think the drums or driveshaft could make a tiny vibration up to the steering wheel?

BTW stroker,congrats on staying away from those punks and bums at school! Being a redneck is cool these days!
Thanks Rick! its nice to hear someone say that, sometimes it scares me seeing this countries future workforce just from looking at these punks, I wish I could live out in the country somewhere nice rather than here I would fit in much better there lol

Old 08-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I agree, Hats off to ya!

Personally, I don't think "being a redneck" has anything to do with it ...

I consider it being smart!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 08-13-2010, 12:46 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
very nice of you guys to compliment me on that, thank you, I keep my head held high and ignore them, I go to my welding and metal fabrication shop class and look forward to my future of making good money in the trade while these other kids who laugh at me will be sitting in prison, this will be my senior year coming up then I'm all done with them

Old 08-13-2010, 01:09 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
I agree, Hats off to ya!

Personally, I don't think "being a redneck" has anything to do with it ...

I consider it being smart!

-Enjoy
You sayin rednecks aint smart there Mr. Hagen???????????

Old 08-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Nope, Not at all.

A redneck could be either, smart or dumb ... All depends on the individual PERSON, not click, status, race or religion.

-Enjoy

Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Rick Wallace
Posting Guru
That was supposed to be a joke............

Old 08-13-2010, 02:32 AM
powerstroker100
Posting Guru
hey guys could my front driveshaft be causing the vibration? even though its not spinning, the bolts that hold it to the xfer case yoke are loose and the output bering is shot so there is some slop in it that I have yet to get around to, could this be messing with the steering wheel or do I hve high hopes for a easy fix lol

Quick Reply: bunch of questions