6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

6.7 Owners I Need Your Input

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.7 Owners I Need Your Input

I have 1400 miles on my truck and I have only one issue that I would like your input on. My truck is going into regen now at 80 mile intervals from 250 when I took delivery. This is pretty much all highway driving 65 to 70. I have left truck at dealer for two days and they say the truck is running normal. I had a 2009 6.4 that would regen about every 200 miles. I love this truck but the regen is really starting to drive me nuts. Has anybody been following how often you regen and how long it last. I know it is not bad fuel as I fill always at different locations. I also run the truck until regen is done.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:24 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
My truck regens at the wierdest intervals also. Sometimes twice in a day, other times once a week. Today I drove 280 miles and it regened twice. I've given up worrying about it. The truck is awesome, it's getting great mileage (comparably) and my only complaint is the teeny-tiny fuel tank. I've got 3,500 miles on the truck now.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Irish-Traveler
New User
I have around 3600 on my F-250 (2011), The only time I noticed my truck going into regen is while towing my 7 x 14 trailer. Shortly after I purchased it, I helped a friend move from Colorado to In. I've heard the truck goes through regen more when it's hot. Since coming back from that trip I haven't really noticed the regen cycle. It would be nice if there were a gauge telling you exactly how much DEF is in the tank.

I am sure you are aware of a new software upgrade that will be available around the end of Aug. It will give you 10 hp more, and 65 torque. In addition the fuel mileage is suppose to be a little better.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
Originally Posted by Irish-Traveler
I have around 3600 on my F-250 (2011), The only time I noticed my truck going into regen is while towing my 7 x 14 trailer. Shortly after I purchased it, I helped a friend move from Colorado to In. I've heard the truck goes through regen more when it's hot. Since coming back from that trip I haven't really noticed the regen cycle. It would be nice if there were a gauge telling you exactly how much DEF is in the tank.

I am sure you are aware of a new software upgrade that will be available around the end of Aug. It will give you 10 hp more, and 65 torque. In addition the fuel mileage is suppose to be a little better.
Yes the dealer called and said they would need my truck at the end of the month for the update. They are working on my regen issue as well.

Old 08-11-2010, 01:55 PM
stf26
Junior User
Mine seems to regen every 400-500 miles. I wish they had better stats on the regen in the LCD display.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:33 PM
zcellis3
Senior User
I have noticed mine going into regen every 50-100 miles now as well. The only thing I can figure is that the truck is getting shut down before the regen completes but does enough to make the computer happy for a short time? Then when I get in the truck and go again it gets to the regen part MUCH faster since the previous regen never completed???? I only drive my truck 20-40min at a time most of the time and if the regen hits at the wrong time it gets shut down before it is finished for sure! Does this make any sense to anybody else?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM
zcellis3
Senior User
One other question, can anybody tell me what may cause a regen to stop besides it being completed? I had read somewhere that it will suspend if the vehicle is traveling less the 35mph but that seems odd because sometimes it may never get over 35??

Old 08-11-2010, 09:44 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I must be missing a lot of my regen messages. I only see them around 350 miles or so.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:25 PM
White Knight 2011
Junior User
At first I thougt it was going to be every 200 miles or so but I have been noticing it very often. Maybe around 50 or so miles. It also seems the computer milage calculator goes down by a tenth mpg when it does.

I was extremely pleased with my mpg's when I first started driving the truck but it has reduced a bit. Maybe my foot has gotten heavier as I've driven it more. Sure is fun to drive.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:41 PM
GCLL
Senior User
My truck has 400 miles on it and it has done it once that I've seen.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:01 PM
roadtech
Junior User
re gen

I'm on holidays pulling my 30 ft 5th wheel, 9000 km on the odometer regening about every 700 km pulling hard in Washington, Oregon etc. I know more power is coming but this thing pulls stumps!!! Mileage is not great, but i'm not easy on it, twice the truck as my Outlaw and I thought it was the best.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:11 AM
Rafiki2cu
Senior User
This is what I know about the regen cycle on 6.7. Ford says regen is anywhere from 100 to 500 mile intervals and your computer stores an average for your regens from day 1. Like some of you my first couple of regens were around 250 miles but once my truck had 600 miles on it regen went to 100 and now is at 80 mile intervals. Now I had my truck in service dept. for this and computer says my average regen is around 150 miles but that is from day one so I will have to put a few more regens on it to get a new average so that Ford will do something about it. The service advisor checked there message boards and said that there is no other complaints on the regen. If you are getting a lot of regens you need to report it so that Ford will know there is some regen issues out there.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:56 AM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Rafiki2cu
This is what I know about the regen cycle on 6.7. Ford says regen is anywhere from 100 to 500 mile intervals and your computer stores an average for your regens from day 1. Like some of you my first couple of regens were around 250 miles but once my truck had 600 miles on it regen went to 100 and now is at 80 mile intervals. Now I had my truck in service dept. for this and computer says my average regen is around 150 miles but that is from day one so I will have to put a few more regens on it to get a new average so that Ford will do something about it. The service advisor checked there message boards and said that there is no other complaints on the regen. If you are getting a lot of regens you need to report it so that Ford will know there is some regen issues out there.
It makes sense that regens would be fewer when the truck is brand new. The dpf filter is still pristine and clear and would have no blockages. After the truck runs for a while, the filter begins to pick up a certain amount of build-up that creates back-pressure therefore requiring regens on a more frequent (or normal) basis.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Champ198
Elder User
I would do a lot of daily stop & go type driving around town as it would be my daily driver. I assume I would expect more frequent regens but hope the fuel mileage in city driving would consistently be better than my 6.4. The main assumption is that Ford would have come across these types of frequent regen issues during testing and would have an idea of if this is a problem or not. If it is a bug, I bet this is quashed pretty quick once they have a good handle on the issue.

Old 08-12-2010, 09:56 AM
Front Runner
Elder User
I wonder if more frequent regens are being requested b/c only 4 cylinders are actually performing it which is possibly not producing enough heat to really burn away soot thoroughly so the sensors dont request regens so soon b/c of backpressure?

Could it be bad sensors or are sensors beginning to go bad?

Or is it just designed to go into regen more often?

Either way, it will probably be a good idea to keep an eye on the oil level for those who are experiencing regens very frequently.

Quick Reply: 6.7 Owners I Need Your Input