Sponsored by:

Offroad Cab Cage??

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Offroad Cab Cage??

So after swapping my complete body on my truck in the past 6 months I got to thinking about an upcoming wheeling event next late september and I really want to enter. I just really would hate if I managed to smash it up on what would most likely be one of the first runs back on the road.
My bro actually gave me he idea to build a cage just for the purpose of protecting just the cab not only making it even more safe, also having an internal cage , but in the event of a roll over or just a hard slap by a tree digging around a tough corner it would protect the cab. I really couldnt care less about the box,doors,fenders,grill or so on its just the cab that would suck to replace again as I have so many custom things like gauges,lights,cage,custom mounted hydro boost brakes,dash,headliner,dual battery switch, in cab winch controls...not to mention custom welded in galvinized floors, with custom 3/16 plate cab corners where the stock ones always crush when offroading.

Cabs suck to change its alot of work!
So any ways I'm thiking of building a exo cage that will bolt to my slider bars. The cage itself would be a total of 6 bolt together pieces I figure to make it a one man job to install. Basically my 2 frame bolted slider bars,2 sides, and a roof section which would be a simple square box with a X shape connecting to all 4 corners, and a tube connecting across cowl below windsheild to help stiffen it up even more as it will be a single post on the 2 front sides. Material will be most likely be 2x2x1/4 square tube to make it real strong.
I always hated the look of exo cages but this could simply be a bolt on one only when I go wheeling. If anyone else has any ideas feel free.

slider bar is made out of 2 1/2x1/4 square tube and conecting plates are 3/8 made for 4, 7/16 grade 8 bolts that bolt on the frame with nuts welded on the backside of hole so its as simple as lining it up and impacting it on for a quick install and disconnect.
I already made it so it runs right back to the corner of box and cab for some protection in that area so its perfect length to do this

Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe think about making a bar or two that go over the door as well that you can reach out the window and put a cotter pin through to hold in place. i know doors are easy to replace, but they can be crushed in and deform the cab if hit at an angle. it's just a thought.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:44 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
yeah I was kinda thinkin about somethig like that too. It would have to be easy to open and disconnect. Adding more weight to the truck is always a concern as well as it already weighs a ton..
looking at it again I wouldnt want the headache rack style tops it would get hung up for sure on low branches when booney bashing.
I'm going to price out some material from my shop. I'll probably need at least 50' running me about 200-250$.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 73 Ford Guy[/quote
with custom 3/16 plate cab corners where the stock ones always crush when offroading.
You know, generally people don't crush their cab while off-roading. I think that's just you.

An exo cage wouldn't hurt though.

Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Well I guess most dont do what I do then. I smash mine bouncing it off stuff and when I rolled it. Exo cages are gey but changing a cab out again cuz my doors wont properly open and close anymore is even more gey.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:45 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Like you said, it already weighs a ton. I wouldn't really worry about adding too much weight. It probably won't hurt you at all.

And that's the idea behind an exo-cage, to keep your body somewhat straight. Not a damn fashion statement. >_>

Old 08-10-2010, 08:47 AM
Bender99
Senior User
I think some round tube with nice bends would fit your dentside better. A guy in my offroad club has a full exo cage with square tube on a yoda and I think it looks retarded. Also, I think 1/8" dom with a good design would be plenty stong.

For making it quick to take on and off... Maybe you could make sleeves to go inside of the tubes where the pieces meet and drill holes for pins to tie them together to make it look clean.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
I agree round tube would look nicer just concerned on its strength..

Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
I've never seen a exo with square tubing... seems like it would look hellish.

Old 08-11-2010, 04:31 AM
Bender99
Senior User
.120 wall dom is all you need. That's what this truggy is made with and he's not scared to bang a tree.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 AM
alpha/omega
Post Fiend
Youre worried about DOM not being as strong as square tube?

Ill alert pirate. I guess those guys have been building cages wrong for years.

Heres what I see happening with your design...

1- You turn sharp around a tree.
2- Tree slides over the a-pilar support bar
3- Tree caves in driver side door
4- Tree gets caught on b-pilar support bar.
5- Further carnage to door/b-pilar/a-pilar as you rock the truck trying to free yourself.

My suggestion? Build a crane to pick your truck up over the trees

Old 08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by alpha/omega
holy hell, i about blew beer out of my nose. full of win

and about that truggy, i bet the owner has no problem bangin' trees, damn dendraphiliac's.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:00 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by alpha/omega

Reminds me of when you pull up your dress while you tip toe through a mud puddle!

As far as dom not being strong enough I'm sure it could be with a heavy enough wall size. Square tube is ugly but cant deny its strong. I am leaning towards 2" round tube with a 1/8th wall now.
As for door damage like I said I couldnt care less. I just want to keep the cab protected so I dont distort it to the point where doors dont fit properly and they dont open and close well. Also trees arn't my biggest concern its more when I'm on my side dragging it against a rock face in a washed out creekbed or just rolling it on its side something again Alpha wouldnt know anything about....

Old 08-11-2010, 02:25 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
What is up with people giving Kris **** about not having actual experience lately? He has one of the baddest mud trucks on here and his a cute little jeep he almost killed me in earlier this year on those rocks he has no experience with.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:30 PM
73 ford guy
Postmaster
All I can say for experience is : PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!

I post pics all the time whether it be a roll over, snow wheeling day, articulation ramp,rock crawling and w/e.
If you dish it out you better be able to take it as well

Quick Reply: Offroad Cab Cage??