Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 08:23 PM
Magnus E
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
Anybody have any other ideas for frozen doors? I use white lithium grease because it doesn't freeze but it isn't a cure all.
Silicone spray works well. Spray on all the rubber seals around the doors and you'll avoid having the doors freeze shut. Works well in arctic conditions. I would not recommend spraying the wipers though. Simply lift the wiper arms over night to keep them from sticking to the windshield.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Yeah! We haven't been working, looks like we may not for a week or so. This camper gets boring fast fo sho!!

Attachment 112316

Western PA will seem like the Caribbean when you get here! I have no desire to EVER spend time in sub zero weather, we get below zero a couple of nights a year but no more than -2 or -3.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Jmatthews
is a BAAAD MAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Western PA will seem like the Caribbean when you get here! I have no desire to EVER spend time in sub zero weather, we get below zero a couple of nights a year but no more than -2 or -3.
From what I hear, we may be here until April. When I first moved up here from Louisiana a month ago, they said we would only be here a "Month or Two" lol. Today they told me they won't start grading until March ready for us by April.

Honestly, moving from Co to La, after flying to NC to get my truck from Co, driving to LA then flying to Co to get my Excursion and camper to bring to La, then driving the camper to ND and then driving from ND to NC and back for christmas. I'm ready to stay in one place for a few months lol. Once we get to Pa we are supposed to be there for at least 2 years. Glad to stay put after all our travels over the last 2 years. Here's all the states we've been to in that time.

Old 01-05-2015, 10:16 PM
sessland
More Turbo
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnus E
Silicone spray works well. Spray on all the rubber seals around the doors and you'll avoid having the doors freeze shut. Works well in arctic conditions. I would not recommend spraying the wipers though. Simply lift the wiper arms over night to keep them from sticking to the windshield.

I've used a few different products that work well, but nothing that is "long term". For me it's not that big of a deal to retreat the rubber a few times during the winter.

As far as the wiper arms go they were moving freely but the insides were filled with ice at the joint and the springs weren't able to apply proper pressure to the windshield.

The windows were frozen shut at the lower door seal. I don't know how I would prevent that without getting film on the window

Old 01-05-2015, 10:32 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 931 Likes on 679 Posts
Dang heat, needed to run the A/C today; wishing for cooler weather...

Attached Images  
Old 01-05-2015, 10:34 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
My garage works well to keep the doors from freezing lol

I need to flush my heater core as its not putting out like it should. Thinking of running some CLR through it as i've known some people who did it and swore by it.

coldest day of the year thus far, we have really been spoiled. Planning my trip to Prudhoe Bay, AK for work next week...supposed to be a balmy -18F woo hoo! better then the possible -40/-50F ambient temp it could be.

Name:  Screenshot_2015-01-05-08-02-44_zpsl8d8yfok.png
Views: 121
Size:  573.5 KB

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 PM
LWW
Elder User
Originally Posted by superdave02f552
Max Jax lift you say. I'm looking at buying a hoist what did you think of that unit?
The MaxJax is for my Datsun race cars not my Ex. It's a great portable, mid-rise, clear floor, clear ceiling, 6k # lift.

The Ex goes on a 12k# Rotary symmetric lift at my shop.

Old 01-06-2015, 06:51 AM
jayjjcc
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
wpnaes... you can always come up here... it's -32c (-25f) right now. You won't need a/c

Old 01-06-2015, 06:55 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by Jmatthews
Yeah! We haven't been working, looks like we may not for a week or so. This camper gets boring fast fo sho!!

Attachment 112316
Camper looks cold. Lol. I know the owners of Oustiders, and some of the girls that work there. So tip well! lol

My camper sat up there for a couple months this fall, wife and neighbor(daughter of the bar owners) stayed in it.

Hell we are trying to stay inside as much as we can here where I work, some of the contracting crew isn't even working this week because of the cold.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
When it gets REALLY cold, like below -30, thats when things start to get fun out on the pipeline.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:54 AM
alex--taylor
Senior User
Originally Posted by TheGrumpyOldTroll
The shop installed my Pioneer-AVIC 8000NEX & it's really nice. They even linked the factory steering wheel controls to the stereo

They installed Satellite radio while they had it, too.

With the Alarm, extra sensors, front & rear cameras, rear hi-def multimedia entertainment system, & now the Pioneer multimedia unit up front with all it's features, this rig is a lot more like our Expedition EL Limited.
That sounds awesome. What kind of Amps did you install, also... have you already installed an upgraded alternator? I did a similar install and kept killing the batteries and alternator. Now I have a 190 Amp alternator to power the 1000 watt main and 600 watt sub amp.

I didn't have the iPhone application cable installed or the steering wheel controls installed in the beginning, I'm taking my rig in on Thursday to get both installed.

Alex

Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 AM
alex--taylor
Senior User
New injectors (#2, 4, 6, and 8)

I didn't trust myself to do it, since I'm still relatively new to tweaking with the engine. I had a bad #4 injector, so I had the dealer replace #2, 4, 6, and 8 injectors. I had them do it while replacing the rear heating blender, had no heat in the back, just lots of cold air blowing around.

Alex

Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM
Immortal_Ben
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
You know, I like how there are many different ways people mod their Excursions. Here I am reading about guys installing DVD systems, killer speakers, big amps, and head units with slide out nav screens and whatever all else.

Personally, as long as I have AM/FM and non crummy speakers, I am pretty well good to go.

BUT its nice that we can all get on here together and talk about our trucks without too much bashing and treating others poorly.

Mod away, ladies and gentlemen!

Old 01-06-2015, 11:42 AM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Immortal_Ben
You know, I like how there are many different ways people mod their Excursions. Here I am reading about guys installing DVD systems, killer speakers, big amps, and head units with slide out nav screens and whatever all else. Personally, as long as I have AM/FM and non crummy speakers, I am pretty well good to go. BUT its nice that we can all get on here together and talk about our trucks without too much bashing and treating others poorly. Mod away, ladies and gentlemen!
My audio addiction came from a friend that owned a stereo shop. His car was, and still is, the cleanest, most crisp and clear sounding audio I have ever heard from ANY speaker be it home audio, theater, what have you.

Having said that, I like a sub or two to round out (not full ethnic bass-fest) my music and some nicer speakers with a good head unit with some form of HPF and crossover management. Just a good deck with those features can turn an otherwise stock speaker and stereo setup into a completely different sounding setup. Granted you need a small sub for the lows but one to get by is relatively cheap and so is the amp.

I've given up trying to put audio in the Chevelle. It's hopeless.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Cold

Was -33 C (-27.4) this morning and the truck barely started. House sitting for the girlfriend and the Ex is parked outside, and I didn't think to plug it in. Once it did start it sounded like it was going to explode.... Got an extension cord from home and it will for sure be plugged in tonight.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?