Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by Mth
I did it because both the starter and glow plugs are hard-wired to the passenger side battery and the higher amp altenator. My pass side battery was always weaker and the first to go. It also allows the driver battery to play an active role in helping the passenger side battery absorb these loads. You cant see it but both the power and ground are upgraded. FICMRepair has a great explanation and cables already made up if you dont have access to cables,connectors and crimp tool for wire this big. Not cheap though!!
That'sno lie but I think my rig will love the extra juice. My 230 amp and wire upgrade kit will be drlivered this morning. Installing that today, getting the Magnaflow muffler pulled off and replacing with a 4" delete pipe and hopefully getting my light bars installed in my new brush guard. I got the old bumper pulled off and replaced with a full replacement last night.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:28 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So am I understanding correctly that the kit is just larger wires?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:40 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Blakshukvw
So am I understanding correctly that the kit is just larger wires?
It is a reroute, larger positives and a ground upgrade all to handle the extra output and help distribute the load between both batteries instead of the passenger side battery getting bogged down with the glow plugs and starter load. There is another ground upgrade I am going to do that uses a 72" 1/0 ground cable to also help distribute the load. I am headed to the mail box to get it now.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:44 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
How do larger wires change the load on the passenger battery when your not removing either of the 2 big consumers from it?

Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 AM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
The larger wires handle the 230 amp alternator, the other two wiring mods distribute the load. Go to FICMrepair.com and check it out. The negative cable mod is on this forum.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 AM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
I've been looking at their site for a while but they don't really explain with detail how it works but I think I get it now. The inter connect wire is what distributes that load because the truck didn't originally have that wire? Is that correct?

Old 09-30-2016, 12:58 PM
jayjordon
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll just drop this in here...

(Family road trip, Hilton El Conquistador in Oro Valley)

-Jay

Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
The inter connect wire is what distributes that load because the truck didn't originally have that wire? Is that correct?
Incorrect.

Diesel engines need more juice to start, which is why there are two batteries wired in parallel to each other.

I suck at electrical so take this following with a grain of salt, but I believe the reason the upgraded wire kit works better than OEM is due to less resistance through the wire and better grounding, which the diesels electrical system respond to really well, longevity wise and performance wise.

Stewart

Old 09-30-2016, 02:14 PM
nmclella
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Think he is correct actually Stewart, the 4/0 cable allows a more equal sharing of the load during startup - something that wasn't there in nearly the same capacity before.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:49 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
So simply installing another bigger wire between the batteries helps them share the load better? Why not just move one of those big consumers, either the ficm or the starter, to the driver side battery so that there's less stress on the passenger battery? Wouldn't that work, if the original smaller gauge interconnect wire is still installed?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:51 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by nmclella
Think he is correct actually Stewart, the 4/0 cable allows a more equal sharing of the load during startup - something that wasn't there in nearly the same capacity before.
Well, there's always the possibility I read his post wrong (not like that's NEVER happened to me before ) but I do believe when he asked, "because the truck didn't originally have that wire? Is that correct?" he wasn't asking about the size wire that was there from the factory. He was asking if there was ever a wire there at all, connecting them in parallel.

Stewart

Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Exclamation

Originally Posted by nmclella
I think you're both saying the same thing actually. The bigger cable has less resistance and can carry more amperage thus allowing equal sharing of the load.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:52 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Sorry for the hi Jack

Old 09-30-2016, 02:56 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Originally Posted by Stewart_H
Well, there's always the possibility I read his post wrong (not like that's NEVER happened to me before ) but I do believe when he asked, "because the truck didn't originally have that wire? Is that correct?" he wasn't asking about the size wire that was there from the factory. He was asking if there was ever a wire there at all, connecting them in parallel.

Stewart
I simply stated that incorrectly. I knew it was there in stock form just in smaller gauge. I should have been more clear. So I haven't looked but is that original cable connecting the batteries the same gauge as the cable coming from the alt to the passenger battery?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:59 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
So simply installing another bigger wire between the batteries helps them share the load better?
Yes.

Why not just move one of those big consumers, either the ficm or the starter, to the driver side battery so that there's less stress on the passenger battery?
Wow, if you think that's easier than simply upgrading the existing wire, you and I view things from a very different perspective where "logic" and "easiest way" come together. Then again, since I suck at electrical, maybe it's a lot easier for you to move a big consumer.

Also, that idea you've posited doesn't include better grounding for the electrical system of the truck, like the cable kit does.

Stewart

Last edited by Stewart_H; 09-30-2016 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Added clarification thought

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?