What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 02:49 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Excurvelle
Here we go again with the 6.0L bashing.

More like friendly ribbing. No harm meant by myself or anyone else, at least I don't think.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:52 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Here we go again with the 6.0L bashing
Originally Posted by AlaskanEx
More like friendly ribbing. No harm meant by myself or anyone else, at least I don't think.
Friendly teasing, ribbing, and poking, among friends can hardly be labeled as bashing.

Stewart

Old 09-26-2016, 02:53 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No harm meant. Hence the smilies at the end. Even if it is true... But just a joke.....with truth behind it....kidding around!

Old 09-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 217 Likes on 145 Posts
Sorry, it should have been said in a Ronald Reagan voice.

Old 09-26-2016, 03:09 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, it should have been said in a Ronald Reagan voice.
Dear mods: can we get an emoji for that?

Old 09-26-2016, 03:13 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
So these 6.0's are not good? I guess I need to sell mine...(in my Ronald Reagan voice).

Old 09-26-2016, 03:58 PM
staarma
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
So these 6.0's are not good? I guess I need to sell mine...(in my Ronald Reagan voice).
How'd you get those 15" BFG's to fit on that excursion is what I'm wondering?

Old 09-26-2016, 08:21 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Filled up my 6L excursion @ $2.289/gal.
Glad I get 16-18mpg with my 6L, (Ronald Reagon voice).!!!

Old 09-26-2016, 10:55 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by staarma
I bought it last Tuesday, I can give you the previous owner's cell number if you would like to ask him!
I have bigger plans.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:13 PM
Blakshukvw
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the proper tool and insert from ford but it just didn't hold. The truck was driven again out of town and it failed again. I may have use the incorrect word when I said helicoil, but I assure you i used the correct part.
The truck belonged to my boss and he didn't want to mess around with pulling the heads and repairing them so he just opted to put a new crate motor in the truck.
I had just replaced another v10 a few weeks before this happened due to the motor spinning a rod bearing so I was familiar with the job. Had it out and new one in and driving in 3 days. Don't think i could have done a repair job on the head that fast. I believe to pull the head on the passenger side it requires cab removal.
As for being cheaper than a bullet proofing job on a 6.0, I've been quoted around $5k. The v10 I replaced previous to this one including labor was more than $5k. I'd personally still rather have a 6.0.

Old 09-26-2016, 11:39 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Blakshukvw
I'd personally still rather have a 6.0.
And that right there, is what makes this crazy world we live in go round.

Personally you couldn't give me a diesel, choices are awesome

Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
Originally Posted by staarma
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I bought it last Tuesday, I can give you the previous owner's cell number if you would like to ask him!
I have bigger plans.

If that's your EX shown in your avatar picture, then those BFGs are 16" since they are on 16" OEM Limited wheels. 15"s won't fit on our rigs due to the size of the brakes.
Oops, Now I see that you updated your signature to show the 16" size.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 AM
staarma
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
If that's your EX shown in your avatar picture, then those BFGs are 16" since they are on 16" OEM Limited wheels. 15"s won't fit on our rigs due to the size of the brakes.
Oops, Now I see that you updated your signature to show the 16" size.
Just a little ribbing

On a side note, I did mount some duraflaps as now with the spring swap and the 18" SVT's my bumper is over 20" in height.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 PM
NorthwesternCowboy
Laughing Gas
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
TL;DR: I love having an Ex. Drove places, towed things, took pictures, YAY.

Just got back from a few days camping in Oregon. The ol' Ex is now sitting right under 196K and still running strong.

Towing talk for you towing talk folks: Pulled about 600 miles just a week after the lift/airbags work was done and I gotta say there is a huge difference. Really nice to be towing level instead of shooting my headlights into the treetops. It was also noticeable that my front end was a mess before the overhaul, because everything felt much tighter and responsive on this trip with regard to steering/suspension. Ran my WD hitch pretty tight and also had the airbags running at 60 PSI on the first half and 80 PSI the return trip. Haven't put much effort into how the weight was distributed, but I will make a single change each time I tow for the next few trips to dial the setup in. Didn't notice any major setbacks in the towing performance except more of a tug/push noticeable when passing the big rigs on the freeway. I didn't tow with a sway bar because I lost a pin to hold it on the hitch, so I will see how the next trip goes with the sway bar and maybe I'll get around to digging around for a Helwig sometime. Gas mileage ended up being the same (6-7 MPG throughout the trip). I'm probably not helping by running a performance tune while towing, but I haven't made the move over to a purchased 5Star towing tune yet, as a handful of folks here already have. Someday I'll get around to it. Overall I'm very pleased with how the Ex towed post-lift.

Tire talk: The new 35s have a very noticeable deceleration whine that my 33s didn't have, but it doesn't bother me. I now rub at full turn, but haven't looked into whether I can cut anything away because I rarely find myself needing to turn that tight. Other than that I haven't noticed the 35s to be any noisier than my 33s, so that is nice. Extra perk is that the 35s have whites, where my 33s didn't, so I was able to go whites out =)

Lift/Airbags/Compressor talk: Love the lift! Yeah, yeah, 2WD blah blah waste of money blah whatever. It looks great to compliment that it sounds awesome (Cherrybomb baybaaaay!) I don't feel like I'm braking my back on speed bumps or going to need a trip to the chiropractor or anything. I'm not really sure where all that talk comes from. Maybe folks took the cheap route to a lift or something and didn't have it done right. All I know is that it is better than before with whatever garbage was left of the stock suspension. The airbags are awesome for towing, the quickshot adjustment from in cab is SUPER nice to have, and it is also very handy to have a compressor available for whatever (blowing up floaties, topping off tires, blowing dust off RC cars and dirt bikes) as long as I have charge in the battery =)

Took the Ex 'offroading' (LOL) up the backside of my Grandpa's property to get some pictures at the clearing up at the top. The trails are cut for a 65 Chevy/Datsun pickup/52 Farmall Cub, so the Ex was barely squeezing up to the top, but it just runs over whatever gets in the way =P

Attached Images      
Old 09-27-2016, 06:32 PM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
I see you have a Nash, me too. Mine is 27F. Built like a brick ***** house.

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?