Sponsored by:

What did you do to the X today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Dont forget to take the road coverage insurance off for the winter to save some money
Just leave the fire & theft & vandalism on it.............

I take everything off for winter, just liability on the pos honda. lol

If I lose it to a fire so be it, I've saved enough from not having insurance for so many years that I could replace the X with the money saved. Now they made insurance mandatory here so I am forced to have it.

Wish they would make fishing mandatory so we could raise our prices to whatever we wanted and rip people off. (Nah, we would never try to rip people off, its not our style).

Insurance is ruining this country! Anyone in small business will concur.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:33 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
i got the steering wheel cover, i paid a little extra to get the one with leather and without te chrome rings like yours tho. dont care for chrome to much, glad walmart had a option. also picked up a new 16" rainx silicon extreem wiper, darn thing cost 19.99$

Old 11-16-2011, 02:47 PM
AndrewWV
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b-uno
also picked up a new 16" rainx silicon extreem wiper, darn thing cost 19.99$
Where do you use 16"? I looked at the Rain-X Latitudes last night and they were $18.47. Seems a lot to spend on something throw-away like wipers, but I love their other products. I actually save money buying their wiper fluid compared to the cheap blue stuff.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:08 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewWV
Where do you use 16"? I looked at the Rain-X Latitudes last night and they were $18.47. Seems a lot to spend on something throw-away like wipers, but I love their other products. I actually save money buying their wiper fluid compared to the cheap blue stuff.

its the rear wiper.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:27 PM
hardRESET
Why yes, it is that big..

Thumbs up Too wierd...

Originally Posted by b-uno
i got the steering wheel cover, i paid a little extra to get the one with leather and without te chrome rings like yours tho. dont care for chrome to much, glad walmart had a option. also picked up a new 16" rainx silicon extreem wiper, darn thing cost 19.99$
WOW, I did the same dang thing. That is really scary. I got the same steering wheel cover, the so-called leather one, as you and I bought an 18" Rain X Lattitude wiper for the rear from Walmart. I would have bought both of the fronts going up by 2 inches and wanting to get 22", but Walmart only had 1 of them. So I am going to order them off of Amazon for $14.99 each with free Super Saver shipping, as compared to the $18.47, like AndrewWV stated, that I paid for the rear.

[EDIT] BTW, the "Easily slips on..." is total bull...[/EDIT]

Old 11-16-2011, 04:31 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Removed the canoe mounts for the season. Still have the tandem bicycle rack mounted, hoping to get one more good weekend for me and the misses to get one more ride.

Testing a solution to the rear wiper that stops wiping the top of the window after a few weeks. Will report back if it works all winter and doesn't stick.

Old 11-16-2011, 04:57 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Found out mounting my LED units to the front of the mirrors might be DOA. The wiring harness for the mirror motors and heater element go through the lower strut of the mirror through a hole drilled just big enough for the existing wires to go through.

Will take a look at the exploded view of the mirror to see if I can get an idea on routing through the top strut.

Anyone have any input as to how hard the spring tensioner is to remove/put back on for the folding tow mirrors?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:01 PM
hardRESET

Talking What I did today and yesterday...

I had to wait for a break in the Internet to be able to order, you have to try and time it when TXtinct is not out there buying everything up, I ordered a new Mag-Lite 3-D Cell LED Flashlight to replace my older one that I had in the console. Bought the mount kit, and mounted it also where TXtinct mounted his. I bought a Kidde Safety FC5 Fire Control Fire Extinguisher from Advance Auto and mounted it on the other side of the middle pillar.

The Mag-Lite...
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011006.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  120.1 KB

The Mag-Lite co-starring with the Official Beer Alignment Tool...
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011007.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  121.2 KB

The Fire Extinguisher with Mag-Lite in the background...
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011002.jpg
Views: 1784
Size:  101.2 KB
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011003.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  104.0 KB

The Fire Extinguisher also co-starring with the Official Beer Alignment Tool...
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011005.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  114.3 KB

I also purchased another tool bag to keep in the rear to keep my trailer hitch in while not in use as well as other things that I have not purchased yet...
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011009.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  192.3 KB

Yupper, BRAND SPANKING NEW, never been used yet...
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011011.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  149.2 KB

All of the other things that are waiting to be completed, oil change and fuel filter change and GlowShift Gauges needing to be hooked up.
Name:  MagLightandFireExtinguisher11-16-2011013.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  128.8 KB

I do have the GlowShift Gauges stuck in the Pillar, just no wires as of yet...
Name:  GlowShiftGauges11-01-2011019.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  165.5 KB

They are the same ones as Robert has, the Tinted 7 Color Gauge Series, I just wish they were hooked up. I have actually been staring at them since November 1st. I am super envious of Robert since he posted the video of what they are going to look like and cannot wait. Remember that I live in an Apartment complex where I am not allowed to do anything in the parking lot. We are barely able to park our vehicles, they charge you an extra $5.00 on you lease to be able to park in the frickin parking lot outside of your apartment!!! I wish some of you super doers lived a little closer to help a brother out...

Old 11-16-2011, 05:25 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by hardRESET
I had to wait for a break in the Internet to be able to order, you have to try and time it when TXtinct is not out there buying everything up, I ordered a new Mag-Lite 3-D Cell LED Flashlight to replace my older one that I had in the console. Bought the mount kit, and mounted it also where TXtinct mounted his. I bought a Kidde Safety FC5 Fire Control Fire Extinguisher from Advance Auto and mounted it on the other side of the middle pillar.

The Mag-Lite...

The Mag-Lite co-starring with the Official Beer Alignment Tool...

The Fire Extinguisher also co-starring with the Official Beer Alignment Tool...

I also purchased another tool bag to keep in the rear to keep my trailer hitch in while not in use as well as other things that I have not purchased yet...

Yupper, BRAND SPANKING NEW, never been used yet...

All of the other things that are waiting to be completed, oil change and fuel filter change and GlowShift Gauges needing to be hooked up.

I do have the GlowShift Gauges stuck in the Pillar, just no wires as of yet...

They are the same ones as Robert has, the Tinted 7 Color Gauge Series, I just wish they were hooked up. I have actually been staring at them since November 1st. I am super envious of Robert since he posted the video of what they are going to look like and cannot wait. Remember that I live in an Apartment complex where I am not allowed to do anything in the parking lot. We are barely able to park our vehicles, they charge you an extra $5.00 on you lease to be able to park in the frickin parking lot outside of your apartment!!! I wish some of you super doers lived a little closer to help a brother out...
Where did you get that cap for the Mag Lite to keep it from rolling around?

I have the 10 color ones...be sure to post pics/vid of the 7 color ones...curious how bright they are and how close the green is to the factory green on the dash.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Sunline Fan
Excursion Fleet Manager
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Kevin,

That is a great spot for the extinguisher. I was reminded this weekend how it is a really good idea to have one of those handy. My roommate was on his way back to school with his girlfriend when his car caught fire. It's an all wheel drive Subaru wagon with full time AWD (can't be shut off, all mechanical). He had a leaking tire before he left, so he changed it and put one of the stock steels back on. It was driving funny, so he pulled off and put the spare on to balance it out. A couple miles down the road, people were pointing and waving at him that he was on fire. He gets off the highway and into a gas station, where it just starts smoking badly. He didn't have a fire extinguisher, so he went in and asked the gas station attendant for one. The attendant didn't want to give him it and complained about that it costs like $80 to have it refilled. He offered a garden hose, but the water had been shut off for the spigot. He ended up paying the guy the $80 for the fire extinguisher because it was that or lose the whole car. Considering he just totaled his Subaru WRX wagon last month and bought this as a partial replacement, his insurance company probably wouldn't like to see another thing going on... It was towed to the closest dealer and they are getting to it by the end of this week, but they're already saying it'll need a gas tank and possibly a new rear end. It seems the difference in tire diameters is what did it.

Jon

Old 11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
hardRESET

Talking Gotta love the Super Saver Shipping...

Originally Posted by robert_l_ross
Where did you get that cap for the Mag Lite to keep it from rolling around?
Robert, compared to some of "just bracket prices" I found this, MAGLITE ASXX376 Accessory Pack for D-Cell Flashlight, on Amazon. The reviews put the lens to waste except to have a spare clear one, but overall I think it was worth it especially since you get the "anti-roll device". Combine with something else, maybe some wipers or something, and get the FREE Super Saver shipping makes it a bargain to me.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:43 PM
hardRESET

Talking So yesterday...

Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
...That is a great spot for the extinguisher...
Jon, yeah I like it, I am actually thing about duplicating it on the other side along with the Mag-Lite... The Fire Extinguisher was only $18.29, and I did a little searching on the Internet and that seemed reasonable to just go in town and pick it up. Also I already have the spare Mag-Lite, it is the same as the new except the old style bulb... what do they call those again... incandescent?

Old 11-16-2011, 05:52 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sunline Fan
Kevin,

That is a great spot for the extinguisher...
A note about extinguishers, especially in cars.

If you have ever seen the retardant in an ABC extinguisher like that, it is a super fine powder...so find that it appears as smoke in the air when not under pressure. It's also kind of 'tacky' or sticky (get it on your clothes and you'll see).

Extinguishers like that are a bit tricky when exposed to vibrations. In our classes, we take a small clear glass jar 1/3rd full of retardant and we tilt it over on it's side...the retardant moves almost like water. We then tap it on a table 5 or 6 times. We can then tip that glass over and the retardant sticks on the side until it's past 90 degrees before it breaks loose.

The key to that little demonstration is that we remind our students that if you have an extinguiser that is exposed to vibrations, be sure to occasionally take it out, hold it upside down and slap the side a few times. The vibration of freeway driving over time can pack that retardant down so compact that it actually acts like it's solid - resulting in the extinguisher just shooting the compressed air with no retardant.

So, safety tip...every month or so take your extinguishers in your cars and trucks and tip them over and shake them up a bit to make sure that retardant is loose and able to be expelled. If you keep one under the sink (next to the dishwasher) or on the wall (next to the washer or dryer), do it every time you change your smoke detector batteries - just to be sure - ESPECIALLY if your extinguishers are old.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:55 PM
robert_l_ross
Cargo Master
Jon, yeah I like it, I am actually thing about duplicating it on the other side along with the Mag-Lite... The Fire Extinguisher was only $18.29, and I did a little searching on the Internet and that seemed reasonable to just go in town and pick it up. Also I already have the spare Mag-Lite, it is the same as the new except the old style bulb... what do they call those again... incandescent?
I don't know about you guys, but that LED bulb is pretty good in the Mag Lite. It's not as 'focusable' (is that even a word?), but considering how much longer the batteries will last, I'm willing to give that up!

Old 11-16-2011, 05:59 PM
jasonodsky
Fleet Mechanic
Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts
Also I already have the spare Mag-Lite, it is the same as the new except the old style bulb... what do they call those again... incandescent?
You can get an LED upgrade bulb for it. Nite Ize makes one. I found mine at Harbor Freight Tools.

Wish I still had my old metal Mag Lite mounting clips. Those were nice. I have a hard time trusting the plastic ones to stand the test of time. Anybody got an old set layin' around that they want to part with?

Quick Reply: What did you do to the X today?