Sponsored by: DP Tuner

New Back up lights - Quick, Easy, & Cheap

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:01 AM
megawatt00
Hotshot
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Spool&Go
Hey thanks Ron. Found the fuse. It was a 10 amp. Replaced it and the back up lights automatically come on in reverse now!

Only problem is, now they dont come on with the switch!! WTF !!

Its like one or the other. When the fuse was blown the switch worked great. Now that I replaced the fuse, the switch doesnt work and the auto on reverse works great. I suppose it is more important for them to automatically come on in reverse but thats not the point. I installed the switch for a reason!

Any ideas?
When the fuse was blown you were back feeding the lights via the switch Bryce. Did you use a relay on them?

Old 08-23-2010, 10:16 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand why the fuse blew in the first place. my diode wasn't big enough so it backfed but now i have a sufficient diode that works great. Yes, it is all hooked up to a relay. Look back in the post, it shows how i have it all set up. It really should work fine. I have no idea what the problem is.

Old 08-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
So I was talking about getting some AUX fog/off road lights put on and I did it yesterday. I mounted the switch up just opposite of my reverse light switch to make it all symmetrical. $20 light and a $5 switch. Couldn't be happier for the price. They look great and light up the road very well. Check them out!

Old 09-14-2010, 02:59 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
I ended up figuring out why the fuse kept blowing and why only one function would work. You need 2 diodes. One on the switch wire inbetween your stock reverse wire and the relay, and one for the switch wire from your actual toggle. It all makes sense now.

So I got some new LED tail lights. Love them. I even tinted them and got some LED 3157's for the reverse part. Now I am wanting to match the AUX back up lights to them. I already have the switch and relay ran, so it is just a matter of getting some good LED's to mount. Anybody know of where I can get some that would work well for back up lights?

Void All previous Diagrams in this thread. Use this one!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:15 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Just an update: New LED tail lights (W/LED reverse bulbs), New head lights (W/Sylvania 9007 Ultras & Sylvania amber/blue blinker bulbs), & New fog lights on outside of tow hooks.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:33 PM
JPs2003
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
i got them at a place called VIP...its like a pepboys..
these give me plenty of light beside me and up to the tail end

man i really suck at night shot's

RON,

You need to tell me about the green in your headlights. When I saw it before I thought something was wrong with the photo. Now I've seen another picture and I see it is by design. What are they, how did you do it? That looks great and I may need to look into it.

Thanks,

JP

Old 09-20-2010, 03:19 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nice job Bryce..looks good..

yes the head lights are/was green..i drilled a hole in the top of the head light housing to fit a 194 side marker socket..i then put in green LED flanks..the flanks made it hard to see inside the head light when the lights where off...i then wired them to the parking lights...my girl friend gave me the idea..i was putting in my new stix and 38R and she told me this truck was possessed and it controld me lol.... i have the 05 Harley lights now.pic in sig....not sure if i will do this to them yet..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:13 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
subscribed! can't wait to get started on my new 7.3, great info in this thread.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:56 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ron's power stroke
nice job Bryce..looks good..

yes the head lights are/was green..i drilled a hole in the top of the head light housing to fit a 194 side marker socket..i then put in green LED flanks..the flanks made it hard to see inside the head light when the lights where off...i then wired them to the parking lights...my girl friend gave me the idea..i was putting in my new stix and 38R and she told me this truck was possessed and it controld me lol.... i have the 05 Harley lights now.pic in sig....not sure if i will do this to them yet..

Thanks Ron! And do you have any pictures of how you did those 194's? It sounds like a cool idea. And that is funny about your woman. I'm positive that I am possessed by my truck as well. It controls me but I dont mind it. It just so happens that what it wants is exactly what I want. Weird how that works.

It wants that mesh stuff for the grill right now. I need to call Lowes today.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:38 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
no pix of how i did it...just find any old side marker light with a rubber twist lock socket for a 194 bulb...drill a hole the same size in the top of the head light...take a dremel and make the square slots so the socket can fit in and twist to lock just like a side marker light does...take a shop vac and duct tape a 3/8 gas line onto it then slip it in the hole you drilled to suck out the shavings...or just take the light out and tip it up side down....wire it up and your done....

Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Thats not a bad idea. How many of those LED flanks did you put in each light? and from which side? from top? grill side? outside? Bottom? Does it take any of that light and project the color out ? Or is it simply just the color of the actual headlight.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:24 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
I cant find the link right now for the flank...its a white flat chip with one clear to green diode..can be found in the 194 section..just can't remember what site it was.....I had one in each head light..that way the bright white light from the head light over powers the green....it doesn't even look like the green lights are on...here in NH colored head lights are illegal....I put them in the top of the head light and the green diode pointing into the bucket so the chrome mirror of the head light made the whole thing shines green..

Old 09-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
Here is how the fog lights are mounted in there to be at the right height. Just FYI.

At least this is how those platinum burner brackets were set up

Old 09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
ONEBADVIPER
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Backup lights

This sounds good. Can you post pictures?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:38 PM
Spool&Go
Cargo Master
There are pics posted. Look at this page and the previous ones.

Quick Reply: New Back up lights - Quick, Easy, & Cheap