6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Truck Caps

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:36 AM
kluger
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Caps

I've managed to avoid a truck cap on previous vehicles, but since I'm going to be hauling two Newfoundland dogs in the back of this one it looks like I'll be shopping for a cap. Any suggestions on brands or features that have proven handy? I'd prefer a custom fit that matches the looks of the truck as much as possible. Two co-workers have Leer caps and while they are generally happy, both leak from roof rack fittings which is fixable but annoying that it wasn't done right in the first place. The rear window locks also don't seem to hold up too well.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 AM
kluger
Senior User
Originally Posted by sdetweil
Thanks for the re-direction.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:07 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newfies don't tolerate heat very well due to their thick coats. You may want to make sure that the back of the truck is well ventilated.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:04 AM
kluger
Senior User
I hear ya, Nipperdog. We've had Newfs for many years. The Suburban was a better travel alternative, but I'm planning on sliders for the cab & cap windows as well as vent or sliders on the side windows. Add the insulated cap & temperature & CO monitors that I can watch from the cab and we'll keep them as comfy as possible. Also, I'm rabid about not leaving them in a parked vehicle for even a few moments - temperature rise on a parked vehicle interior is amazing.

On a side note - Culver's has gained our loyalty over the years. Whenever we sit at an outside table with the dogs they come running out with a bucket of water and a bowl of biscuits. Now that's customer focus!

Old 08-02-2010, 07:25 AM
11PSD
Junior User
Originally Posted by kluger
I hear ya, Nipperdog. We've had Newfs for many years. The Suburban was a better travel alternative, but I'm planning on sliders for the cab & cap windows as well as vent or sliders on the side windows. Add the insulated cap & temperature & CO monitors that I can watch from the cab and we'll keep them as comfy as possible. Also, I'm rabid about not leaving them in a parked vehicle for even a few moments - temperature rise on a parked vehicle interior is amazing.

On a side note - Culver's has gained our loyalty over the years. Whenever we sit at an outside table with the dogs they come running out with a bucket of water and a bowl of biscuits. Now that's customer focus!
Thanks for the info. I have a large lab that has many many many miles under his large young legs, both highway and sea. Always good to hear hotels and other chains that are pet friendly. I agree, I am going from an Excursion the dogs loved to a CC and exploring ideas from his Remington crate fixed to the bed to truck caps to interior mods to keep him off the seats. He was great in the Ex, as soon as he was in that back, he'd lay down and sleep for how ever long it took. I'd have to call his name every few hours just to make sure he'd stand up and strech. 30 hrs Straight from exit 393 on I75 on the US/Canada border to TX and he slept the entire way only getting up to pee!. Oh year, and my wife has some small thing she calls a dog

Old 08-02-2010, 07:38 AM
kluger
Senior User
The newfs have always travelled well also. Oh, and if you have to bend over to pet it, its not a dog, just a funny sounding cat. (He wrote as he ducked from all of the expected flack!)

Old 08-02-2010, 09:01 AM
White Knight 2011
Junior User
Originally Posted by kluger
The newfs have always travelled well also. Oh, and if you have to bend over to pet it, its not a dog, just a funny sounding cat. (He wrote as he ducked from all of the expected flack!)
Well, you have bend over a little bit to pet my two labs (15 y.o. female and 4 y.o. male). That way the male can lay a big wet one on ya. LOL

I have a Leer 100 XQ waiting to get installed. Decided not to get the roof rack just cause I don't see a need for one. I get nice air flow through the cab with the moon roof and back window open so the dogs should be fine.

Old 08-02-2010, 12:33 PM
adbscu
Senior User
We had Leer on both our old F150 and F350 now and they do a fine job.

we have Siberian huskies (in California) and have sliders on the side and we remove the front window in the summer. What i would really like would be a mesh/grated back "window" that i could swap out with the regular window for the hotter months.

You could also try somehting like this
K9 Electronics: Police K9, Military K9 and Schutzhund Working Dog Equipment

Old 08-02-2010, 10:28 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have had 3 Leers on four different trucks. I am going to paint the one off the old truck to match the new truck color and roll on. I think they make a great product

Old 08-03-2010, 11:35 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a SnugTop Xtra Vision seen here.......

Snugtop - Custom Fiberglass Manufacturing, Truck Cap & Tonneau Top Covers, Camper Shells Tops, Customized Truck Toppers, Pick Up Truck Canopy

Originally purchased for my 2003 F250 and was white, when I bought my 2007 that was black I went to trade in the cap for a black one, the rep advised not smart idea since he would only charge me $400 to match factory paint so I went that route....new cap was now close to $2000.

It has the front tilting window with a slider so cleaning is easy, the 2 side windows are huge and have screens so I can open them and the front slider to get airflow for the dogs or passengers.

I also purchased the BedRug..............

Bedrug • Bed Liner, Truck Bed Liner Bedrug Bed Liners Truck Bed Mat | Bed Rug Bed Liner

and it transferred to the 2007 as well, these things are great. Made of PVC but look like carpet, just don't spill gas on them! I just pressure washed the hell out of it as the new puppy had an accident on the BedRug, still looks like new after 8 years of use. Highly recommended for the pets to lay on as well as bed protection.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
I did the repaint deal on my last Leer. It was blue and now it is green. Matched the 04 truck perfectly. I paid $200 to have it painted. It will be Copper bronze metallic soon

Old 08-03-2010, 11:45 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I could have got it cheaper but I decided to have him do it since he took it to the local Ford dealer that has a body shop. Had it for a week, and they did r&r on it and lubed the sliders, adjusted the rear door hardware, cleaned and waxed it, etc. They even upgraded the T handle for no charge to the newer style then what I had on it.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:01 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Nothing wrong with getting a quality job from someone you trust.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:31 PM
White Knight 2011
Junior User
Originally Posted by rotun

and it transferred to the 2007 as well, these things are great. Made of PVC but look like carpet, just don't spill gas on them! I just pressure washed the hell out of it as the new puppy had an accident on the BedRug, still looks like new after 8 years of use. Highly recommended for the pets to lay on as well as bed protection.
Did you put the BedRug over a spray-in liner like Line-X or did it go over the raw bed? How much was the BedRug? Did you get the couch from the same place? Thanks.

Quick Reply: Truck Caps