1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED Brigher Headlights!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 09:22 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I NEED Brigher Headlights!!

Ok, so I first have a question, then at the end I have a suggestion to FTE. And please don't troll as I have searched thoroughly for this stuff and can't come up with any real answers. So first with the question. On my '03 F250, the headlights SUCK! I have to put them on bright just to make them somewhat compare to other cars. I've gotten to where I keep them on brights because even those are so dim that I don't get flashed by other cars. There's no technical issues with them, it's just this model truck's headlights aren't very good at all. I've been looking at these:

...however I've heard some people say that they won't be much brighter. I still kinda want to get them anyways just to make the truck looks better. I'm putting the '05-'07 bumper and grille on my truck this weekend so it's gonna look funny with the old-school headlights still on there. But if there's another type of headlights out there that will work a lot better then I'd like to have those. I don't want to just change to higher wattage bulbs because 1) I don't like the look of the factory housing and 2) I've heard some people on here say that they get too hot and burn the housing. If there are no replacement headlights to make it brighter, then could someone point me in the right direction of some good bright driving lights that I could mount down where the fog lights are and inform me of how I need to mount those to meet DOT regulations? And if those headlights I pictured would be brighter, could you check out Dfuser.com's website and look at all of the stuff they offer for the headlights (like harnesses and bulbs and what not) and let me know what all I would need to get to be brighter, legal, and not run too hot. Thanks in advance for any help.

So now my suggestion. I love being able to look stuff like this up in the super duty forum (as opposed to the 6.0 forum for non-engine related issues), however, now that all these different model super duties are coming out, do they not need to start splitting up the super duty forums between model year (especially for the 2011s)? The main reason I had to post a new thread for this is because nearly EVERYTHING I searched for with headlights came up something for the '08-'10 models, and that kind of stuff won't work on my truck. IMO it needs to start being split up, but that's just me.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:44 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Looks a bit ricey.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:50 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jc8825
Looks a bit ricey.
Nah, tail lights like that are what look ricey. Those headlights might look ricey in the picture, but they wouldn't once on the truck, I've seen them. Trust me, I hate chrome and anything to do with souped up civic type cars...I'd admit it if they looked ricey.

Old 07-31-2010, 09:52 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Do these trucks have a relay under the hood for the headlights or are they like most vehicles where the actual headlight power runs through the headlight switch in the cab?

Old 07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The '05 to '07 headlights are brighter than earlier years.The '99-'01 like I have are worse than any
All are brighter with the relay harness because you get more amperage to the lights than through the stock harness

Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rbaker6336
The '99-'01 like I have are worse than any
I have an 02 with the 01 lights on it now and I don't notice a difference between them and the 04 I had with the "jewel" type lenses, and IMO the 99-01 look better. Again, my opinion, but I like the 99s over the 05-07 as well.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:00 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
Do these trucks have a relay under the hood for the headlights or are they like most vehicles where the actual headlight power runs through the headlight switch in the cab?
Power goes through the headlight switch. An aftermarket harness will help with that, plus you can easily mod the high and low beams to come on at the same time.

I like the headlights on my 01. Put a pair of Silverstars in there and they're much brighter then the junk ones it had at first. I also replace them yearly.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:02 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Also as far as aftermarket lights, they always seem to be of poor quality. I have seen many and not a good one that met OEM quality. The aftermarkets are cheaper, but why not have them be the a little more expensive to be constructed as well as the OEMs? Aftermarket lights will leak water and fog over time. Not to mention the plastic will fade and haze over faster than OEMs. I just generally dislike aftermarket lights because of the low quality, not because someone wants to change the look of their vehicle.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:04 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by twags6
...An aftermarket harness will help with that, plus you can easily mod the high and low beams to come on at the same time.
How would the process work? I would like to increase brightness as much as possible without having low and highs on at the same time and without melting the lenses.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:14 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
The harness draws power directly from the battery and uses relays to switch on the lights. You plug one of the old plugs into the harness and that allows the headlight switch will control the relay. This setup allows the power to go directly to the headlights, instead from the battery into the cab, through the headlight switch, and back up to the lights. There's a few volts lost in that travel and thats what makes the lights dimmer.

The "brite box mod" as its called is simply adding a diode across one of the connectors. This is something you'd add, so no need to worry about it coming with the aftermarket harness.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:18 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Ok, so back to the brightness issue. If the relay harness or whatever will make my lights brighter, where can I get one how difficult is it to install? Also, what kind of bulbs does everyone recommend?

I like the '05-'07 lights better than previous 1)because it's one piece and 2)because they got rid of that cheap looking yellow part of the lights. Can't stand that stuff.

I don't get why Ford can't come up with some newer technology lights and put them in the old housings and sell them to people like us (or me) who can't stand the crappy dim factory lights. It would take about 30 seconds of their time to design them. I'd buy them.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
You can get one here 9007 Headlight Heavy Duty Wiring Harness Upgrade and its a plug and play install. The other nice thing about this harness is you can easily upgrade to higher wattage lamps without worrying about burning up the stock wiring.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by twags6
You can get one here 9007 Headlight Heavy Duty Wiring Harness Upgrade and its a plug and play install. The other nice thing about this harness is you can easily upgrade to higher wattage lamps without worrying about burning up the stock wiring.
But what about melting the factory housing? What wattage bulbs should I run?And also, what are those options for at the bottom of that page? I'm on my phone so I can't read it completely.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:45 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
Ok, so back to the brightness issue. If the relay harness or whatever will make my lights brighter, where can I get one how difficult is it to install? Also, what kind of bulbs does everyone recommend?
Get harness here http://www.dfuser.com/catalog/harness.php

Install instructions
http://www.dfuser.com/Install%20Guid...2005-05-23.pdf

Old 07-31-2010, 10:51 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
sorry but those HDlites def. look ricer..

they dont suit a SD truck..

Quick Reply: I NEED Brigher Headlights!!