1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I NEED Brigher Headlights!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 PM
jc8825
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twags6
You can get one here 9007 Headlight Heavy Duty Wiring Harness Upgrade and its a plug and play install. The other nice thing about this harness is you can easily upgrade to higher wattage lamps without worrying about burning up the stock wiring.
Looks like a good deal. I realize the wiring would be safe, but tell me, running higher wattage bulbs would generate more heat and melt your lenses, correct? I had a friend back in high school that swapped in aftermarket bulbs into his Focus (65W stock/90W aftermarket bulb) and after a few months he noticed that the rear of his lenses where the bulb socket is was melting and actually made it very difficult to ge the bulb out. This is something I certainly want to avoid.
Also, you can get an HID kit for $200 and just just the HID system which runs at a lower temp and all you have to is mount the transformers.

Old 07-31-2010, 11:11 PM
jeepman_79
Senior User
Brighter lights

I put SilverStars on my 03 F350 when I had it it made a big difference When I got my Harley it was even worse they put factory smoke lenses on those. I installed SilverStars in the factory headlights and fog lamps what a difference it made, I'd go cheaper before I installed those pricey nice looking lights.

Old 08-01-2010, 01:29 AM
JWT1
New User
i have the same headlights that u pictured except in black i upgraded to hid and they are extremely bright now.the good thing about them is there projector so u wont blind oncoming traffic.

Old 08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
The relay harness is going to make the biggest difference. I installed one in my old 92 Explorer and the lights were great even with the crappy fluted lenses. The only down side is that you are going to go through headlight bulbs faster because the voltage at the bulb will be higher.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:20 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
So if I get the new relay harness with the High Low Beam option, will it run too hot? Also, what is the highest wattage SiverStar bulbs you can run on these trucks without melting the lenses? I just want to do whatever I can to get the brightest lights possible without ruining anything. I don't care if it goes through lights faster.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:30 PM
jeepman_79
Senior User
Silverstar

I purchased the silverstar bulb that was the same size that I needed in my truck. Check it out put one silverstar bulb in and turn on your headlights the factory bulb almost looks yellow against the silverstar is very white light. I also found Silver star that fit the factory Ford fog lights

Old 08-01-2010, 08:25 PM
unregistered guest
Junior User
HID?
They scatter the light alot and blind oncoming traffic without the projectors.

But man they are light up the road.

I put them in my GSXR and it made a world of difference. I don't worry as much about hitting a deer at 4 am.

HID Kits, BMW Aftermarket Bumpers & Lighting, DEPO - DDM Tuning

I put those in my bike but they also have them for our trucks. They are illegal also.

Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Put in the silverstars that are listed for the truck and the harness without the high beam option. The bulbs are slightly brighter then stock and the harness will make them a little brighter. If you want the high low option down the road, a cheap diode will make that possible.

As for HID's, they don't have high beam built in. You'd need to run another bulb if you want highs. All the cars have a separate bulb that comes on with the HID's to make high beams

Old 08-01-2010, 09:17 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Is it the SilverStar 9007s? That's what's showing up on all my searches. And if so, should I do the 9007ST's or the 9007SU's?

Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, it whould be the 9007's. SU is silverstar ultra and ST is the regular silverstar. The SU's cost a little more and are a little brighter then the ST's. Here's the comparison chart for the different model bulbs Sylvania makes. http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/im...31053c9567.jpg

Old 08-01-2010, 10:26 PM
audioguru76
Senior User
I put the PIAA xtreme whites in my 2002. no wiring upgrade and the difference was quite noticeable. They are also compatible and safe with the stock wiring (comes with a sticker to mount under the hood with the ford exemption order number). I think that the biggest contributing factor is the color of the light...factory halogens look orange in comparison to the PIAAs' bright white light.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:21 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by twags6
As for HID's, they don't have high beam built in. You'd need to run another bulb if you want highs. All the cars have a separate bulb that comes on with the HID's to make high beams
Actually that's not correct. There are HIDs that are mounted to a solenoid to move the lamp back and forth to get the element to the proper position for high/low operation. Having said that they are mostly cheap chinese crap and don't last long. Many high-end cars use a similar system of much higher quality.
They also make dual element HID-low/Halogen-high lamps that take the place of a factory single lamp. Also cheap chinese crap.

I like my 05 headlights.
Have you considered auxilary lights?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:30 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rickf92592
Actually that's not correct. There are HIDs that are mounted to a solenoid to move the lamp back and forth to get the element to the proper position for high/low operation. Having said that they are mostly cheap chinese crap and don't last long. Many high-end cars use a similar system of much higher quality.
They also make dual element HID-low/Halogen-high lamps that take the place of a factory single lamp. Also cheap chinese crap.

I like my 05 headlights.
Have you considered auxilary lights?
I actually mentioned then earlier but I don't know what kind would be good and bright for mounting in the bumper outside the fogs. And I also saw someone mention something about them in another thread but said you have to be careful with aiming them so that they meet DOT regulations. Just sounds a little complicated to me.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
rickf92592
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
I actually mentioned then earlier but I don't know what kind would be good and bright for mounting in the bumper outside the fogs. And I also saw someone mention something about them in another thread but said you have to be careful with aiming them so that they meet DOT regulations. Just sounds a little complicated to me.
You do run the risk of scrutiny from LEOs.
You need to be very careful about where you use them.
'05 upgrade?

Old 08-01-2010, 11:44 PM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall

The lights you are looking for are called driving lights/Beam driving lights. They are not fog lights that flood the light. Driving lights are great for high beam helpers. They funnel the light strait down the road for a long long way. I have them on my old truck and will be installing them on my new X.

Quick Reply: I NEED Brigher Headlights!!