Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Possibly not Working 1995 4.9L F150

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Nehmo
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Success, almost complete! With a new (in tank) sock, new (by frame) filter, and connecting only the wires going to the pump, the truck started and continued to run.[p]

There's a few more problems: The Right-rear wheel is sunk in hardened soil to part way up the rim; the battery is dead; and there is, as yet, no back pressure on the brake pedal. When I came to the truck, there was no fluid, and the Right-front caliper was broken. I replaced the caliper (but it didn't seem to seat quite right. I think after I get some fluid in the caliper circuit and press the pedal, it will move to the correct position. It's kind of jammed now. It's hard to describe without a picture). [p]

Yesterday, while I was working on the truck, the weather got stormy and more stormy. Wind was blowing around every bit of trash it could find, and water was drenching everything. I had no choice but to quit. It was trouble enough just collecting the tools, but at least I left with the victory of having started the engine.[p]
~~ Nehmo

Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It's great you managed to start it. Keep us posted.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Nehmo
Freshman User
Regarding the year of manufacture of the truck, the title states 1991 but the door-post stamp is 1990. Either way, it's not a '95, as I had previously thought.

~~ Nehmo

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Nehmo
Freshman User
I still have a problem. I can start the truck, alright, but once started, I can’t seem to get the throttle to do anything. The linkage is OK. But it seems there still is not enough gas (I’m guessing) to keep it going right. I can’t “gun” the engine by pushing abruptly on the throttle.
I don’t know where the fuel rail place is to check the fuel pump pressure. At this point, I can’t afford a fuel pressure gauge, so I’d really rather avoid that.) I’m thinking maybe there’s a big vacuum leak. I’m going to check for that using spray from starter fluid.
When it runs, it seems like it's firing OK. So the problem has to be not getting enough air or gas. I'm in the dark now. What's the next thing to test?
What do you think my next step should be?
At this point, I really need advice. I'm going to watch this forum.
~~ Nehmo

Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
Nehmo
Freshman User
I haven't been back to the truck yet. I suppose the plan is to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail? If that's what needs to be done, I suppose I can do it. Any input is welcome.
~~ Nehmo

Old 08-24-2010, 05:35 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 229 Likes on 178 Posts
I do not have that much experience with the I-6 as I have allways worked with the V-8.
But as I understand it the I-6 need about 40 PSI to even start and will idle around 45-50 PSI fuel pressure. So I would guess that the fuel pressure is OK.

With out rereading this whole thread have you checked the codes yet?
If not that is what you need to check first.
Also it does sound like you may have a bad TPS. But the EEC self-test should tell you if that is the problem.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:04 AM
Nehmo
Freshman User
I haven't checked the "codes" because I don't know where I would get them.
Is there some kind of error code showing somewhere?
What do I do the check the codes?

~~ Nehmo

Old 08-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Nehmo
Freshman User
Another thing, Bill, where are you? I notice it says "Kansas Chapter" on your sig. Are you in Kansas? I'm in Kansas City, Kansas. If you're right here, if you want, call me 913 279 1506. I would very much appreciate if you called. I need advice bad.
~~ Nehmo

Old 08-26-2010, 07:22 PM
subford
Fleet Owner
You can check the codes by counting the flashes at MIL on the dash or using a code reader.
More info on codes:
Ford Fuel Injection How To Run a Self-Test

As stated in the upper left corner of my posts I live near Easton, Kansas (NW cornner of LV County).

I am on the road right now but will be in the KC area soon.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Nehmo
Freshman User
I moved the truck to a much better place. I now will be able to work on it more conveniently.
OK, it starts with a bit of difficulty, and sometimes the throttle doesn't have much effect and sometimes it does. The idle is way high. I'm not sure if the hoses are properly hooked up. And there are assorted other things wrong. I'll read up on that self test now. Thanks.
~~ Nehmo

Old 08-28-2010, 07:56 PM
Nehmo
Freshman User
I'm going to work on the truck Sunday. I'm not even sure where I'm going to start.
~~ Nehmo

Old 08-29-2010, 06:33 PM
Nehmo
Freshman User
With the engine off, I got code 556, Fuel Pump circuit failure, Ford Fuel Injection Three-Digit Codes 526-586
So now what do I do? I replaced the fuel pump.
~~Nehmo

Old 08-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Nehmo
Freshman User
I didn't check the codes while the engine was on because I couldn't keep it running. I might be able to, though. I suppose the next thing is to check the relay? Or what?
~~Nehmo

Old 08-30-2010, 08:50 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Nehmo
With the engine off, I got code 556, Fuel Pump circuit failure, Ford Fuel Injection Three-Digit Codes 526-586
So now what do I do? I replaced the fuel pump.
~~Nehmo
I would not put too much stock in the 556 code unless you have NOT shorted pin #6 to ground.
As you can set this code by testing the fuel system.

This code if you have NOT shorted pin #6 to ground could mean the the fuel pump relay did not close when told to do so or the fuel pump circuit may be leaking to ground or a bad pump. In other words the voltage on pin #8 (FPM circuit) of the computer was either higher or lower than what the computer thought it should be.

Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Nehmo
Freshman User
Originally Posted by subford
I would not put too much stock in the 556 code unless you have NOT shorted pin #6 to ground.
I'm looking for a diagram of the test connector, self test output, that has the pins numbered. I haven't found one yet, but I didn't short anything to the ground except the single wire from the single wire plug, the self test input.
Originally Posted by subford
As you can set this code by testing the fuel system.

This code if you have NOT shorted pin #6 to ground could mean the the fuel pump relay did not close when told to do so or the fuel pump circuit may be leaking to ground or a bad pump. In other words the voltage on pin #8 (FPM circuit) of the computer was either higher or lower than what the computer thought it should be.
If the triangular self test output plug has the base downward, the right most pin (labeled fuel pump on the diagram I have) is #6, I think. I have not grounded that pin.
Assuming the code is correctly displayed, does that mean the fuel pump is the problem? Should my next check be the pump pressure on the fuel rail? And could this be the whole problem with the engine?
Now, another question: So I did the test, counted the flashes of the engine service light, with the Engine Off, but how do I do them for the Engine On condition? Do the lights start blinking right after the engine starts? If that's the case, it's going to be difficult because getting it started is difficult and I have to nurse it, by playing with the throttle some after starting to keep it running.

~~ Nehmo

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Possibly not Working 1995 4.9L F150