1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Help Me Get to Elusive 20 mpg - 2003 Ex!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 03:11 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Received 248 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Pocket
Mileage is tough. If you're getting 19.5 mpg in a 4x4 Ex, you're doing very very very well. Basically you're driving a very heavy 4wd brick down the road.

Now when it comes to mileage gains, things like intakes and exhaust typically won't give you any additional mileage. Reason being is that when you are driving for mileage, you're goal is to consume as little fuel as possible, keep the RPM's down, and be as light as possible on the pedal (as we all know). The stock intake and stock exhaust flow adequately enough to handle the air and exhaust volumes you see when taking it easy. So if the air and exhaust flow is enough, then adding a bigger system won't provide any improvements at those low volumes. These modifications are most beneficial when you're running more power and fueling more... meaning you are no longer driving for mileage, but rather performance. In short, intakes and exhaust are performance support mods, not mileage mods.

Think of this analogy.... you have a bottle of water, and you have a glass of water:

Mileage: You sip the water from the glass and from the bottle at a nice easy leisurely pace. In both cases, you get plenty of water from each gulp, with neither one causing enough restriction for you to have to wait for the next mouthful of water.

Performance: You want to pour the water on the ground and empty both out as quickly as possible. The glass dumps the water out instantly, with no restriction. The bottle slowly chugs away as the water pours out much more slowly.

Hopefully that analogy is clear enough. Basically apply that train of thought to exhaust systems, and you'll see how they are supporting mods for performance and not milage.

It takes a certain amount of horsepower to take a vehicle of "X" weight, and "Y" co-efficient of drag, to maintain a "Z" speed on the road. To reach that horsepower level, it requires a specific amount of fueling. There are only a limited number of modifications you can do to change fueling rates. If you have a chip that does a better job of atomizing fuel and optimizing injection timing, you can see a slight increase in mileage. The rest of what you need to address are in terms of weight and drag in order to increase mileage. Lose weight and/or decrease drag, and mileage will benefit.

Honestly, most options out there are expensive. The basic things that are free are proper tire pressure, checking brakes for drag, and typical maintenance checks to ensure everything is working properly and at optimum performance. Beyond that, you're spending money. Sometimes money spent isn't easily recovered in terms of mileage gains... and often not recovered at all.

In short, I'm saying don't waste your money on products that will not give you the benefit you are expecting. Just trying to keep you from disappointment.
Good points.

Thanks!

Scott

Old 07-22-2010, 03:16 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Pocket
Forgot to add.... if you do run higher HP tunes from time to time on your Bully Dog, or plan to have some higher HP tunes when you purchase your DP-Tuner, then yes a bigger exhaust would be beneficial.... not from a mileage standpoint, but from a performance standpoint (EGT control).
Ex is my daily driver and tow vehicle; really don't use the higher hp settings. When I need to satisfy my "need for speed," I take the Roadrunner or one of my Fairlanes for a spin; kind of hard to beat a wide open dual quad 426 hemi or an 800 hp street/strip Fairlane with a 514...

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 12ozd
Turn the A/C off,that should do it!
It's only 97 deg. in woodbridge now.
Yeah, I've got to head back home to Louisiana this weekend; might be cooler there.

I don't seem to notice any difference in mileage with A/C on or off. Towing an empty trailer is another one - really not much difference there, either.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-22-2010, 03:21 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by jwhitetail
19.5 that's about as good as it get's no matter who's tuner be happy.JMOP
Well, if that's as good as it gets, I guess I should be happy with it. Right now I'm doing 20% city driving, so when I take my next long trip, I'm sure I can add another mpg or two just by doing all highway.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-22-2010, 03:23 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Re-gear to 3.55's.
That should do it.
Agreed, but really not interested in spending that much $ or sacrificing pulling power.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bulletpruf
. Right now I'm doing 20% city driving, so when I take my next long trip, I'm sure I can add another mpg or two just by doing all highway.
City driving will bring your average down and as will short trips
My truck gets 14.5 city 17.5 interstate and 18.5 to 19 running backroads keeping RPMs at 1700 to 1800

Old 07-22-2010, 07:06 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
Re-gear to 3.55's.
That should do it.
If I remember the area around Woodbridge it pretty hilly and a higher ratio may give worse fuel mileage
Here where I am my truck gets better mileage than trucks with 3.73s

Old 08-09-2010, 10:05 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Well, if that's as good as it gets, I guess I should be happy with it. Right now I'm doing 20% city driving, so when I take my next long trip, I'm sure I can add another mpg or two just by doing all highway.

Thanks,

Scott
Did it! Got 22.27 mpg - that's actual mpg, not indicated by computer (truck computer actually had me at 32.4). That's traveling about 60 mph, gently rolling hills (North Carolina), 100% interstate.

New oil seems to help - it's Mobil synthetic; think 5W40, so a bit thinner than the 15W40 I have been running.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, with a 4x4 you are getting 19.5? With my dually 4x2 I get 21 on a regular basis and iI am as happy as could be. 21 I figure is great mileage for what this truck is. I have friends with other "big" trucks and they envy my 21. Almost any changes you make (exhaust, filter and such) would be performance gainers. Not long ago I read a thread where one of the guys spoke of the difference between performance and trying to get mileage. It was one of the most sensible and realistic things I had ever read. I have a DP tuner with 60e. Using it I get around 20! Stock I get 21! But hey, I have increased by 60 hp and the response of the truck is just awesome....who am I to complain! If I want mileage I get on my Goldwing (47) on in my car (Sentra @ 34). If I want big, lots of room and power galore, plus that awesome feeling of driving a whale of a truck I drive my F350 and enjoy every minute of it. Personally, I think you have a great vehicle and should be ecstatic.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 PM
rbaker6336
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Blackbeltdually
With my dually 4x2 I get 21 on a regular basis
What gears are you running?
What speed do you get 21 MPG?
Is that hand calculated or by the lie-o-meter?

Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Sorry, I'm on vacation and have limited computer access.
I believe I have a 3.73 rear end, but I will confirm that later by checking the tags (It's been that long since I've looked.)
The truck loves the 60-65 mph range and all calculations are hand done. Yesterday I drove some expressway at 65 and then 2 lane at around 57 (in the Upper of MI) and got from home to Marinette, WI on half a tank of fuel and got around 430 miles. Will fuel up this morning and then drive away. I give you the figures later tonight.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:57 AM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did it! Got 22.27 mpg - that's actual mpg, not indicated by computer (truck computer actually had me at 32.4). That's traveling about 60 mph, gently rolling hills (North Carolina), 100% interstate.

New oil seems to help - it's Mobil synthetic; think 5W40, so a bit thinner than the 15W40 I have been running.

Thanks,

Scott
How many miles was the test?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Duck Hunter81
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would kill to get the mileage that you guys are getting. On a good tank I average 16mpg. That is keeping it around 65 mph @ 1900 rpm. And I don't hotrod around. I am going to have to try synthetic oil next change.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:00 PM
bulletpruf
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by MobeyDick
How many miles was the test?
Test was only 200 miles. I normally get 800+ miles from a tank (have topped 900 miles once), but this is mixed city and highway. Guess at 22 mpg, I should be able to eke out 1,000 miles to a tankful if I run it down to E.

I think it was pretty accurate - speedometer and odometer are accurate - verified by GPS. Filled up exactly the same way - all the way to the top, about to spill out.

I'm pretty happy with it. Truck has plenty enough "guts" for me and is a great towing machine.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 PM
Blackbeltdually
Cross-Country

Greetings tonight. Just a line to let you know that yesterday on our trip we got a whopping 22.4 mpg. It is the first time I've had the truck on a longer trip like this and it is absolutely great to have such size and power get this kind of mileage. For the next leg tomorrow I am going to run my DP 60e and see what I get. I will also be able to confirm if we are getting 22 when I fuel up tomorrow. And yes, I drive modestly and work hard to behave. this will be harder to do with the tune running. It sure makes the truck more fun.

Quick Reply: Help Me Get to Elusive 20 mpg - 2003 Ex!