1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

Another deconstruction

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 PM
transam525
Senior User
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's the latest on the restoration since last month's update. Progress has once again slowed slightly as my work has kept me out of state for most of the month, however some tasks have been completed:

Completed:

Sorting, documenting, and bagging all steering, chassis, and brake hardware for re-plating in the correct finish has been completed. I built an Excel file documenting the markings, finish, post-finish (i.e. painted or not painted head, etc.) thread pitch, dimensions, location, and original Ford part number for every bolt, washer, nut, and clip, and clamp attached to the chassis and its attached components.

The NOS front brake mounting plates arrived. The original plate's brake shoe pads were too worn/notched for re-use. The spindles, tie rods, brake plates, shock mounting hardware, kingpins, kingpin bearings (all NOS parts) and original rear brake drums were all dropped off for powdercoating and will be picked up Monday.

New Timken bearing races were pressed into the front hubs. The originals Ford races were Timkens, so that's what went back in. The front hub surface will be machine turned to replicate the original finish and ensure straightness. Once NOS wheel studs are located, they will be pressed in and the hubs complete. The original studs were black oxide, and all reproduction/replacement studs are zinc plated, so I'm in the process of locating 20 NOS studs.

Re-installed powdercoated original brake junction block.

Tasks for the next 30 days:

-Locate two useable front U-bolts to replace my damaged ones
-Powdercoat front brake drums and turn
-Powdercoat steering link rod
-Powdercoat NOS exhaust hanger
-Hone spindle bushings to the proper king pin clearances
-Machine front hub surfaces, press in studs, install wheel bearings and NOS seals
-Purchase brake hardware (springs, adjusters, shoes, cups, etc.)
-Re-plate all chassis hardware
-Assemble entire front steering system

More pics to come. Thanks again for all your support and positive comments.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM
transam525
Senior User
As promised, here's the latest on the restoration of my 1960 F-100.

All the original hardware came back from plating. Using my 1960 Ford Parts and Accessories book and plating information found online, all hardware was sorted into three piles--cadmium plating, zinc plating, and black oxide. The hardware looks brand new again. Some of the items will go off for powdercoating, such as the bolt heads, nut exteriors, etc., while some have already been re-installed plain.

New races were pressed into the front hubs. A friend of the family, who is a retired machinist with his own equipment, turned the surfaces of the original front hubs to replicate the same finish as Ford applied from the factory and ensure the hubs were 100% straight. Once I located some NOS studs (which have the correct black oxide finish), I'll press them in, install the rear wheel bearing, and install the NOS hub seal and NOS dust cap.

The same machinist friend honed the spindle bushings to the exact clearances as listed in my 1960 Ford truck maintenance manual.

The speedometer cable and horn wire clips were re-installed onto the frame in the exact locations as installed from the factory (yes, I measured the exact placement down to the 1/32 of an inch).

The original front brake plate pads were too worn for re-use, so I located a pair of NOS plates, which were powdercoated and ready for installation.

The brake line junction block was re-installed in the exact placement/orientation as was from the factory.

The front brake line clip was powdercoated and re-dipped in molten rubber to replicate the original look/finish.

And for the pictures...

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

If you look closely, you'll see even the "A" on the bolt head was re-installed in the exact same orientation as removed.

Once I located two replacement front U-bolts (originals damaged), the entire front suspension and steering system can be re-assembled.

Thanks for viewing, more to come soon.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Received 290 Likes on 200 Posts
Thanks for keeping the updates, and especially the photos, coming.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks Great, keep up the passion to make it NEW again.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:35 AM
topmoo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too much for mere words. Nice work.

Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
transam525
Senior User
Here's a quick update for this week's progress. The NOS axle bumpers are now installed. The original hardware was stripped and zinc plated. The hold-down tabs were media blasted and refinished in the correct phosphate coating. Additionally, the speedometer cable clip and horn wire clip, in their new/correct black oxide finish, were re-installed in their exact position on the frame as when removed for the first time.

Agenda for next week:

-Press the correct black oxide NOS wheel studs into the restored hubs

-Rubber coat the tops of the newly zinc-ed clips used to hold the taillight wire harness to the frame. All clips will be installed in the exact position as originally at the factory (yes, I measured every clips original spacing).

-Order suspension u-bolts

Old 08-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Layed Out 100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After seeing your work vs my work, your shop vs my shop,your pictures vs my pictures..........I'm not worthy to even tell you how great yours looks.

Thanks for your service and sharing your build with us!

Old 08-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Lrgfather
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Incredible work! I can't wait to see the website, any updates on it's release or link?

Old 09-02-2011, 01:28 PM
transam525
Senior User
Unfortunately, no progress has been made on the website in several months. I'm about to deploy again, this time for six months, which is usually when I've been working on the website.

In the meantime, I found a company capable of replicating my original front u-bolts exactly. Once the u-bolts arrive, they'll be sent out for powdercoat. Once powdercoated, I can fully assemble the entire front suspension and steering system, and of course pictures will follow. I also finished rubber dipping the zinc clips used to hold the taillight wire harness to the frame, and will re-install them this weekend.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

Thanks for the updates,but most of all,thanks for serving.

Old 10-21-2011, 11:19 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im envious...looks superb...Im still in parts collecting mode...granted my rig is an inaugural year Twin I Beam truck...love them old Fords...just like cheese and fine wine :-)

- cs65

Old 10-21-2011, 11:35 PM
ibuzzard
Panties NOT in a Twist

I believe Dustin has been deployed overseas again.I have to say,this has got to be the best,most careful restoration/rebuild of a Fridge that I've ever even heard of.

Steve

Old 10-22-2011, 01:40 AM
oldebrush
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transam525 "Restoration of a 60 F-100 "Fridge"

Steve, I am new to this group. However I have had several 57-59 F-100's. (never had a 60)

I now own a 57, short Styleside, badly in need of a lot of work (soon, sometime soon).

Would you Please explain where the term "Fridge" came to be for these trucks?

Aloha, Tony (the oldebrush)

Old 10-22-2011, 05:30 AM
transam525
Senior User
The revival of this post served as my reminder to post the latest progress. As ibuzzard mentioned I'm currently deployed, but I'll still be lurking about the forum from time to time.

The month before leaving U.S soil, I made further progress on the restoration.

Completed:

-Located the correct NOS Ford wheel studs and pressed into the front hubs
-Packed new Timkin wheel bearings (same brand Ford used in 1960)
-Installed front hub wheel bearings and NOS Ford wheel seals
-Rubber coated the tops of the original, re-plated, frame-mounted taillight wire harness clips
-Installed frame clips in the exact position (down to the 1/32") of original location as installed by original Ford line worker in 1960
-Located the remaining NOS Ford engine mounts and installed

It now won't be until the month of May when I can resume progress on the restoration, however be assured, there will be serious progress (and pics) when I return. The planned completion date for the chassis is September 2012, upon which I will begin the restoration and rebuild of the engine and transmission.

In the meantime, here's the latest progress pictures.

Before:

After:

Before:

Before:

Old 10-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by oldebrush
Steve, I am new to this group. However I have had several 57-59 F-100's. (never had a 60)

I now own a 57, short Styleside, badly in need of a lot of work (soon, sometime soon).

Would you Please explain where the term "Fridge" came to be for these trucks?

Aloha, Tony (the oldebrush)
The term fridge is an affectionate term used for these trucks since they are square or boxy "like a refrigerator" when compared to their fat fender predecessors. I obviously think they look pretty cool.

Quick Reply: Another deconstruction