1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

don't want commercial plates

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 06:07 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,023 Likes on 784 Posts
update to the story. just came back from dmv and registered my f-350 dually with cap having windows and camping equipment in the bed as a suburban vehicle and got passenger plates. no weight tickets, no pictures, just the statement as to the modifications to the registration class.

I do wonder about all the f-250's, 350's and equiv doge and chevy trucks with just the flat cap and they have passenger plates.

a flat cap with a window would work by definition. kinda like looking into a coffin.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Redrkt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After reading this thread, it just makes me love living in Wyo that much more
No Safety inspection (stopped doing them in the late '70's)
No Emissions testing
you get either a car or truck plate ( unless is a commercial vehicle)
Based on age of vehicle (until it is 20 yrs old then flat rate)
3% sales tax paid with first issue plates ( unless municipality has higher tax rate due to bonds etc.)(5% here due to a couple of bonds that the city passed)
Open OR concealed carry without a permit (unless you go out of state then concealed permit required) Plates for my truck will run about $700 since I just bought it
can drive ANYWHERE (unless private property and don't have owners permission)
and less than 500k people in the entire state.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:34 PM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Redrkt
After reading this thread, it just makes me love living in Wyo that much more
No Safety inspection (stopped doing them in the late '70's)
No Emissions testing
you get either a car or truck plate ( unless is a commercial vehicle)
Based on age of vehicle (until it is 20 yrs old then flat rate)
3% sales tax paid with first issue plates ( unless municipality has higher tax rate due to bonds etc.)(5% here due to a couple of bonds that the city passed)
Open OR concealed carry without a permit (unless you go out of state then concealed permit required) Plates for my truck will run about $700 since I just bought it
can drive ANYWHERE (unless private property and don't have owners permission)
and less than 500k people in the entire state.
Sure, but can you get good pizza and bagels?

Old 08-06-2014, 08:02 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by PupnDuck
Sure, but can you get good pizza and bagels?
Or find a city big enough to warrant emissions inspections?

Or not get run over by some guy with bad brakes?

Old 02-05-2019, 08:22 PM
Joenac22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by PupnDuck
In NYC you can't park anything with commercial plates on the street overnight in residential areas. They come around in the wee hours and paper the neighborhood with tickets.

Commercial plates on a pickup may not be much of an inconvience in other parts of the country but in NYC its a PITA. Can't park on the street overnight. Can't go on parkways that prohibit commercial traffic (lots of them) and the real killer - you pay MUCH higher tolls on thruways, bridges and tunnels.

Yes, you can go the whole camper shell, seats, etc. route or have a fifth wheel or a gooseneck ball (small hole in bed floor, removable ball) installed. If your truck is PERMANENTLY set up for towing a camper trailer you get passenger plates. An no, the hitch on the back doesn't count.

I've had passenger plates on my 05 F350 PSD since new and never had a problem.
i know this is an old thread but hoping I get a response. I just bought a 2017 F250 crew cab and really want to get rid of the commercial plates. If I have a goose neck trailer hitch “ installed “ in the bed without a cap or seats or any of that will that get me passanger plates ? I believe the gross weight for the truck is 6200. Thanks for your help

Joe

Old 02-06-2019, 09:57 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
you are over for passenger plates.

you need to review the DMV rules for modifications to registration classes and see if you qualify....some folks use their trucks with a camper type shell on the bed which has windows, they install seats, beds, camping equipment, and are able to register suburban which will get you passenger plates.

keep in mind with out passenger plates you cant park in residential areas during non business hours and during business hours its like a 4 hour window. not even in your drive way. you cant use parkways with commercial plates.

also, per DMV rules...you are responsible for determining your registration class and per DMV rules DMV personnel will not participate in determining your registration class so don't bother bringing pictures of your modifications to be able to register suburban because DMV personnel do not want to see them....and they will not require photos.

if you later take off the camper top, and keep passenger plates, you could get a ticket for out of class registration.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:12 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Wow! Talk about an old thread. I bought my 2005 F350 PSD new in 2005 and drove and parked it everywhere in NYC for 8 years with never a problem. It had only a tonneau cover and had passenger plates. I bought the truck in NJ and rather than let the dealer handle the registration, I went to an independent registration agent in NY. They can issue plates and print the registration while you wait. The guy behind the counter asked what kind of plates I wanted, I said passenger. I don't know if I was just lucky but I assume that the police just looked at the truck and decided they weren't going to second guess DMV.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:23 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I had a few different things happen.

2005 f-250. Dealer calls and says DMV did not approve transferring my passenger plates to the truck....dealer said DMV said I had to do commercial plates. I filled out a new DMV form and gave it to the dealer ..the new form had my modifications to my registration class, dealer processed the new form and I got suburban plates which were passenger class.

2008 f-350 dealer wanted to get my plates for me...but they called me and said I could only get commercial plates per DMV. I explained the registration modifications I did and the dealer gave me all the paperwork to register myself. when I got to DMV, the counter person said I could not have passenger plates because my vehicle was too heavy. I asked the counter person to get a supervisor. Supervisor initially said the same thing, but then I explained the modifications to my registration class. supervisor left the counter and said she would be right back. when she returned, she told the counter person to issue me passenger plates and resister my truck as a suburban.

2010 f-450. told dealer I needed to complete my own DMV form due to changes in my registration class which I did. Dealer processed it and I got suburban plates (passenger)

Old 02-06-2019, 02:32 PM
Evan_P
Cargo Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts
One more reason to never live in NY. Man is the list getting long...

Old 02-06-2019, 07:08 PM
speedfreak78
Cargo Master
Received 425 Likes on 340 Posts
Would one of these sleeper caps fall within NY regs? They have a shelf/bed or some have seats that convert to a bed. Wouldn't be too bad if you had an 8ft bed.

Old 02-06-2019, 08:01 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Yes, that would be perfect

Old 02-07-2019, 09:58 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 300 Likes on 157 Posts
When I bought my 2001 F250 Superduty, I asked the dealership what I had to do to get passenger plates. They said "come back with a receipt for a deposit on a cap". So I did. And got passenger plates. No seats, no "camper", just the cap.

Never had an issue.

BTW, they go by the weight on the title. My F250 was 5600 pounds or so on the title, and the limit at the time was 5000 lbs I think. It's now up to 6000: https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/regi...-class-vehicle

Just an FYI.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:47 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
My neighbor got an out of class registration ticket for cap on an empty bed ( no seats, camping equipments, etc ).

so he thru a bench seat in the back

later he got another ticket of out of class registration becuase he had no seatbelts on the seat and the seat was not bolted down.

Old 02-07-2019, 11:21 AM
PupnDuck
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
My neighbor got an out of class registration ticket for cap on an empty bed ( no seats, camping equipments, etc ).

later he got another ticket of out of class registration becuase he had no seatbelts on the seat and the seat was not bolted down.

What did the cop do, walk around peeking in the back of pickup truck caps looking for things to ticket or was he pulled over for some other reason? Would a couple of old ratty sleeping bags in the bed constitute "camping equipment"?

Old 02-07-2019, 12:08 PM
redford
Received 1,596 Likes on 933 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz

Sounds like a job for a dark window tint.

Quick Reply: don't want commercial plates