6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Tire Wear ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 11:35 AM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Wear ?

Ok, so I'm having issues with one of my tires wearing extremely quickly, and it's also get waves in it. Before you say anything about rotating and balancing or an alignment, I had all three done a little over 2 oil changes ago (so about 10-11k miles ago) and just had the tires rotated and balanced again less than a month ago. The last time I had the tires rotated and balanced was because of the way the tires were wearing, and also because they are extremely loud to be just an over-rated all terrain. Here's some pictures of the tire that's wearing really bad...it's the front passenger side tire: (oh and i have the dip circled)
If you'll also notice, the tread gets deeper and deeper as you near the inside of the tire. Here's a picture of one of the other tires. It's pretty much a good representation of what the tread looks like on all the other tires:

So anyways...does anyone know what the problem could be? Does it sound like my ball joints may be gone on the passenger side? Also, when I took it for my last alignment, the guys spent all day on it and said it was aligned but said they couldn't get the steering wheel straight. So when I drive straight, my steering wheel is a little bit to the right, but not much. But I thought I had read that you can straighten the steering wheel up on these trucks no matter what? It also seems to have a lot of play in it and I have to do a lot of excess turning to make some pretty simple turns. Any suggestions anyone? If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

Old 07-04-2010, 11:44 AM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Try this page. (If you haven't already) The "dummies" part is not directed at you. It's just the info location!

Checking Your Tires for Wear - For Dummies

One area talks about bad shocks.

Your other wear, outside edges, under inflation.

Old 07-04-2010, 12:35 PM
AndeyHall
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by amdriven2liv
Try this page. (If you haven't already) The "dummies" part is not directed at you. It's just the info location!

Checking Your Tires for Wear - For Dummies

One area talks about bad shocks.

Your other wear, outside edges, under inflation.
But under inflation would make both edges wear. When I say "inside" and "outside" of the tires, I mean towards the inside of the truck or the outside of the truck. So the tire that's going bad is wearing really bad towards the outside of the truck, then gets better as you move farther left until you get to the far left side where it is best. Sorry for any confusion.

Old 07-04-2010, 01:07 PM
bsparks72
Junior User
I'd jack up the front and get the tires off the ground, and grab that tire top and bottom (12 o'clock and 6 - push with one hand, pull with the other) and try to move it in and out and see if you have any bearing play or ball joint wear. Grab it at the 3 and 9 and do the same. It should be noticeable, with a clunk. That doesn't look like alignment, inflation, or any other common problems to me.

If not bearings or ball joints, I'd look at shocks next.

Old 07-04-2010, 05:02 PM
mohle
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bsparks72
If not bearings or ball joints, I'd look at shocks next.

Ditto that. The shocks can also be good enough for stock tires, but the added weight of bigger rubber will be too much for them. If you do any off-roading also make sure that you rinse the insides of your rims out. A big clump of dirt can will throw out you tire ballance - can ruin a tire in quick order.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:27 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by AndeyHall
But under inflation would make both edges wear. When I say "inside" and "outside" of the tires, I mean towards the inside of the truck or the outside of the truck. So the tire that's going bad is wearing really bad towards the outside of the truck, then gets better as you move farther left until you get to the far left side where it is best. Sorry for any confusion.
Yeah, I mis-read that.